Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I'm such an A--, I did this to my G!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm such an A--, I did this to my G!

I was just getting out of the grocery this weekend and a whopper of a downpour was just beginning, so in my haste to get in my car, I hustled the cart around the back of the G, passing on the passenger rear side and... I scratched my car with the shopping cart!

A good 6-8 inches long that's so obvious. I tried some Meguiars Cleaner Wax to see if I could buff it down, it worked a little but the scratch is still obvious. I was thinking of getting some Meguiars Scratch X (or something like that), it comes in a small black tube.

What do the ****, obsessive (said with much respect)detailers on this board prescribe? And although I know there'll be more than a few Zaino responses, I'm really looking for something more readily available, as in OTC.

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I'm such an A--, I did this to my G!

"Hello, Bubba's Body Shop? I need a quarter panel repainted."

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've heard of some places that do airbrush touch ups, and it's supposed to be much better than the little touch up paint bottle with the brush. That is, if it's deep enough that the paint is gone. If not, keep up the scratch removal efforts.

I know how you feel, I have a pretty good gouge in my left rear taillight lens. I haven't picked up anything to try to get it out yet.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-13-2003, 10:52 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have some of that meguiars scratchX, i havent used it in about 2 years though, it works OK... the best way to get rid of scratches is to repaint the panel, the second best way is to touch it up with paint or clearcoat then follow with some compound....
however if the scratch looks to be only on the clearcoat, then maybe you can buff it down to make it alot less obviouis.

ScratchX will just cover minor scratches and swirlmarks from my experience. It seems like it is just an overpriced polish or wax ($5 for small tube)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 PM

hey chinee,

i've actually been trying my hand at detailing w/ a porter cable 7424. but before i go any further, how bad is the scratch? a general rule of thumb is, if you can feel the scratch w/ your fingernail, then you will need it repainted. with that said, i've had some good experience w/ parking garage scratches. i was able to buff it down to the point where you had to be w/in inches to realize the scratch was there. this was on a black car. i was also able to buff out a keyed car so that it could only be seen from about 3 ft away as opposed to 10 ft. that was a scratch that could be felt by a fingernail on a silver car.

there's a couple of products that you can buy from pep boys, but i'd image that they will be hard to apply by hand. if you know someone w/ an orbital buffer, you should consider consulting them. if you can feel it w/ your fingernail, you'd need to repaint.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Recommend uploading a pic for the crew to see. Detailing shops and body shops can do some pretty miraculous stuff before needing to paint. I had a scratch (my stupidity induced) on my Lariat, that the dealer's body shop fellas were able to buff out to perfection, and before a buddy had suggested it, I would never thought it possible. Greatest thing- I've bought several trucks from these folks, and referred a number of sales. To say thanks, they did it for free!
(Oh yeah, and if you're ever wanting to buy a domestic truck in Canada, say, in the Maritimes, I recommend Fundy Ford in Middleton, Nova Scotia) ;o)

Cheers,
Derek

DB