Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

tree sap, arghhh...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tree sap, arghhh...

not sure if all trees produce sap, but i thought the trees down in texas were sap free, but today with my car at home in the garage i noticed these shiny dots that looked like water, but i noticed it wasnt water when i try to tap my finger on it, and its still there... sigh so i guess it is tree sap, i only had my black coupe for less than a week, i dont plan on washing it until this weekend, but for now, what can i do to remove those damn sap stains off my hood and other parts of the car without stripping the layer of wax thats on my car from the factory? should i go buy one of those quick detail sprays?

Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Running for his life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: tree sap, arghhh...

I would just use tree sap removing to remove the sap. Yes it smells like butane (at least mine does) and it will probably strip out the wax. I rather remove the tree sap than maintaining my wax.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 10-21-2003, 03:39 PM

You must not be familiar with Mesquite trees if you thing Texas trees are sapless. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-21-2003, 03:44 PM

so they are sapless or no? cant i just use a quick detail spray on my car to remove the sap marks? i really dont wanna get the other one, cause you guys said it might strip thee wax... sigh...

Old 10-21-2003, 04:09 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

the longer you let it stay there, the harder it will be to remove

just try soap+water if that doesnt work try claybar if you have any, if not then try paint thinner or rubbing alcohol or anything heh, try anything, quick before it dries and becomes part of your clearcoat (yes i've had that happen to me before)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 10-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

yeah, try to get that sap off as soon as you can. my prelude had some tree leakings on the rear bumper and it was such a pain to get off.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

[not g35girl from freshalloy]

Old 10-21-2003, 09:52 PM

i really dont wanna wash my entire car right now, its still pretty new from the factory, not even a week old yet, still has the factory wax and all, can i use my meguiars quick detail spray to get rid of those damn sap marks?

one of my friend told me to use a liquid wax like meguiars gold class to get rid of the sap marks, how about that? or will it just create a layer over the sap?

Old 10-21-2003, 10:31 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

dude we just gave you 10 great suggestions and you ignored them all.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:33 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

on another note, your car is not a week old, its 2 to 3 months old. Its been sitting on an exposed cargo ship for 2 months, its been on a mass transit train for at least a week or two, its been sitting in your dealership lot for a week or so.

It does not come waxed from factory. Your dealership may have waxed it prior to handing you the keys.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:02 AM

i don't think you can use wax to take crap off of a car. if that was the case, why bother washing your car with soap, claybarring, and using tar & bug remover before you wax? hey, it's your car. the longer you sit here, ask questions, and not take suggestions, the harder it will be to take that sap off. hurry though... that sap is hardening as we type. [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2003, 01:30 AM

ok well i sprayed some of meguiars quick detail on it and it worked pretty well in gettin the sap off, i can notice as i wipe the sap smeared, so i sprayed more and it went away, sigh... i really should avoid parking under trees, the reason i do is cause of the shade, but its not worth it by getting all these sap marks, so ill just park away from the trees in the sun...

i guess ill go all out this weekend and dawn wash my car, clay bar and then wax it again...

Old 10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yeah bro its not worth it to park under a tree, you will be bombarded with leaves and sap and bird poop

Old 10-23-2003, 12:10 AM

lol i agree rambo... bird poop is ugh.

nyckid... try garage parking or tinting your windows instead of tree shade. it's better than having to deal with what could drop from a tree. [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used rubbing alcohol, 91% on all of my cars to remove tree sap for the last 30 years, it works great, and it's cheap, and has never caused a problem with the paint, I do however wax the car after doing this, we have cottonwood's here, and their sap is very hard to remove, but that takes it off no sweat!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan

Old 10-23-2003, 04:22 PM

Yea definitly easier to just avoid trees. The first month or two i had the car. I had no choice but to park the car under a tree b/c of limited parking spots on the street. After getting sap on it from just being there for an hour or so, I opted to just park around the block where there are no trees, call me crazy buts it's less work on the weekend when it comes to detailing and washing. Oh quick question, do trees release sap in the winter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tree sap, arghhh...