Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

dealer repainted my brand new ob coupe, need to rewax... best products for black car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer repainted my brand new ob coupe, need to rewax... best products for black car?

hey guys i got a new obsidian black 06 coupe. when i got the car there was a minor ding in the back bumbper and a mind dent on the fender.
the dealer promised to repair the damage.
and since it was the last available car in the state. (with desired options)i agreed.

they gave me back my car the other day and i noticed they repainted my back bumper and drivers side fender. i know repainting a black car is the worst because you see a crazy amount of swirls.

the job came out good but i have a few issues that i need expert advice on:

back bumper has a sort of cloud on it, it looks like a foggy patch. is this called oxidation?

also the car was under the sun for a while so i assume my wax may have faded.

when i touched my hood (never repainted) it was very rough, not waxy and smooth like when knew

i brought the car home and spent 4 hours trying to make it feel like new, i used the Mothers 3 stage wax system

first i used the prewwax cleaner
then i used a sealer/ glaze
then i used a pure carnuba wax

The car shines great however not all the panels feel super smooth, why is this? how do i get it to be smooth like when new. do i need to completly get off the old wax or was the prewax cleaner fine.

im asuming it is rough becaus the old wax was under the sun for a while and the prewaxcleaner didnt remove it, so all i did was pile more polish and wax on the old crap.

the sealer and glaze seemed to cover up the fog in my rear bumber, however if u look hard its still there, what exactly is this hazey fog im noticing, how do i remove it, does the bumper need to be repainted???

also what do i do restore the original smoothe and silkyness of car.. i tryed rewaxing and polishing. why am i experiencing this roughness on the hood. if i wanted to start over whats the best and EASIEST way to remove my old wax and sealent? i heard dawn is good.. which dawn should i buy and how do i apply it?

also since its a black car i notice some swirl marks, the sealer and glaze seemed to cover it up but how can i permently remove it?[/

Thanx for all your help guys, please post easy steps to fix my problems. please avoid all complicated procedure like claybars and buffers.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
lots of people here are happy with zaino products

check the detailing forum lots of good info there!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
but how about that cloudy thing ... it apears to be on the clear coat but im scared to mess with it does anyone knw what im talking about it looks lie some sort of hazy foggy patch on the bumber about half a square foot large

Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 PM
First of all le me say im no pro at detailing at all. If you feel rough spots on your car then you need to wash the car with dawn and wash mit, 2 bucket method. (not sure how careful you have to be on the newly repainted parts)

Then you need to clay the car to get those rough spots and contaminants off the paint. I beieve meguiars has some good stuff. Be sure to use the lubricant they provide you or just dawn and water in a spray bottle. Get the clay knead it a little then spray the area and the clay and rub the area i believe it was 2x2 areas to start off and work your way along the car. Be sure to do this in a shaded cool to the touch car and make sure you rub the clay sideways. One more thing.. IF you drop the clay just throw that piece that fell to the trash its no good. So its best to take off pieces of the clay incase it does fall.
After that im not wuite sure what comes next, polish then wax...dont know. but to get rid of the rough spots is what I learned from this spot.

like i said ealrier im not expert at all.....

Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ebuy929
but how about that cloudy thing ... it apears to be on the clear coat but im scared to mess with it does anyone knw what im talking about it looks lie some sort of hazy foggy patch on the bumber about half a square foot large
what you are feeling is not wax, it is overspray. a claybar will remove it and then a detail will finish the job. the haze on the bumper is probably a wetsanding mark that was not buffed out completely. take it to a detailer or back to the dealer and have them buff the areas that were painted. make sure to check that there are no swirl marks from buffing before you accept the car back from them this time.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
More love for Stealerships...........

Since the dealership painted your G take it back and
let them know you want the paint to look like a new
car. Make them pay to have it detailed! Why bust
your a** to make they're poor quality work right?
Stand up............LOL

Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Since the dealership painted your G take it back and
let them know you want the paint to look like a new
car. Make them pay to have it detailed! Why bust
your a** to make they're poor quality work right?
Stand up............LOL
Couldn't have put it better!

Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
i would say you need to strip all the wax off...use dish soap or something and you need to use a clay bar on the thing. Its all rough like that because of thousands and thousands of microscopic particles that get caught in the paint. The clay bar will take all this out and it SHOULD feel smooth again. Then rewax the thing. That cloudy spot might be from a tire shine that came off the wheel when they washed it.....not sure though. If it is it is under the clear coat and i had the same problem. I used some stuff called Nu Finish on that spot and the Nu Finish actually goes in under the clearcoat and eats away at it, i guess. But, it took it out. Might want to try that!

Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
i would say you need to strip all the wax off...use dish soap or something and you need to use a clay bar on the thing. Its all rough like that because of thousands and thousands of microscopic particles that get caught in the paint. The clay bar will take all this out and it SHOULD feel smooth again. Then rewax the thing. That cloudy spot might be from a tire shine that came off the wheel when they washed it.....not sure though. If it is it is under the clear coat and i had the same problem. I used some stuff called Nu Finish on that spot and the Nu Finish actually goes in under the clearcoat and eats away at it, i guess. But, it took it out. Might want to try that!
the car is brand new...most likely it is overspray from the bumper and quarter repaint.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
the car is brand new...most likely it is overspray from the bumper and quarter repaint.
^ sorry im retarded right now i just got done writing a 5000 word paper for english class tomarrow and i read a post right before this about oil and having 22,000 miles on the car and somehow it got tied in with this post...

Old 09-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
usually they would pull the parts for something like that and paint them off the car, unless they just repaired and blended the spots which then it would make sense that they might have got overspray onto the hood. Either way I would take it back to the dealership and ask them about it. Normal detailing clay won't be aggresive enough to remove a large amount of overspray, you need some of the stronger overspray clay. It may cause micromarring however and require a polish afterwards

Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 AM
honestly, fresh paint overspray should be able to be buffed out with rotational buffer (dewalt). random orbitals may do the job, but will take longer.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with a dawn dish soap wax, menzerna FPII and then menzerna FMJ and your set to go

FMJ lasts forever and shines wet all the time. my friends always ask if i jsut waxed my car

Old 09-21-2006, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by LIUser
go with a dawn dish soap wax, menzerna FPII and then menzerna FMJ and your set to go

FMJ lasts forever and shines wet all the time. my friends always ask if i jsut waxed my car
dishwash soap does not get rid of overspray.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 AM
i hope u got a KILLER deal on the car, cuz i would NEVER take a dented "brand new" car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dealer repainted my brand new ob coupe, need to rewax... best products for black car?