Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning Rims and Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2003 | 09:44 PM
|
Cleaning Rims and Paint

I've seen a number of suggestions on cleaning rims and I just wanted to say that your rims have a clear coat finish... Do not use anything on your rims that you would not use on your paint on the car itself... If you start using cleaners it will slowly compromise the luster of your clear coat finish on your rims... regular soap and water is all that you should use and put a light coat of wax on them every so often will help to keep its luster. If you notice older vehicles whose rims used to be bright and shiny when new are no longer so shiny, that's because people have used harsh cleaners on them. My cousin owns a detail shop and his tips helped me as I owned my previous vehicle for 10 years and the original paint/ and rims still looked brand new...

Treat your paint like you would your hair, in taking care of your hair you should balance your wash and conditioning habits. Fr example, if you continue to use conditioner without shampooing your hair, your hair will look like crap. Likewise if you only shampoo without conditioning, your hair will look dull. You need to use a dish detergent that is not extremely harsh but still cleans the impurities from the pain and likewise strips a little wax from the surface of the paint. Thus you will need to wax your paint more often but your paint luster will last much longer as a result. This is especially true of black vehicles. Your first wax job needs to be an extremely heavy coat... Then roughly every 4 or 5 carwashes, you should put a light coat of wax on the vehicle. Every 3 months place a heavy coat of wax on the paint... Just some tips. I've owned 3 black cars and although it takes a little extra work, it's worth it to keep your car looking better longer.

Old 10-31-2003 | 12:14 PM
Re: Cleaning Rims and Paint

I am wondering is there something to use on the wheels to remove the brake dust between washings, something like the CA Duster? I get a coating after just a couple of days on my chrome wheels, been just dusting them with a damp cloth, doesn't really look too bad on the chrome, not like it did on my Mustang's "painted" wheels!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan