Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

SCRATCHES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCRATCHES

It seems like everytime I inspect my G i find a new scratch some small and hardly visible others just an eye sore. I understand that I have a black car but its not my first. I wax every three weeks and wash it every week the car has about 2500 miles. Is the paint on the G thinner than most cars my previous cars are black durango and black 330ci. any input?

Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Re: SCRATCHES

scratches are inevitable. some you make, some made by third parties. think about who touches your car the most, and see if you/they are taking great care to not scratch the car. i also have a black g for just over a year now. i have only allowed some else to wash my car twice. as much as i'd like to day other people have scratched the surface, i'd have to say 90% of them were by my hands.

before i knew any better, i thought that i was doing absolutely everything in my power not to scratch the car or induce swirl marks. i realized the day i put a very light scratch on the hood w/ a 100% made in the usa cotton towel that i was doing something wrong.

take a look over on autopia.org. their forums are dedicated to detailing. at a minumum you should look for threads on how to wash the car, namely the 2 bucket method.

gl....

Old 11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried searching the "2 bucket method" on the forum and couldn't find it. Can you briefly tell me what it is?

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 11-07-2003, 03:01 PM

2 bucket wash system?

it basically involves the use of 2 buckets. one w/ water and detergent, and the other w/ just water to rinse the sponge/mitt of any debris.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:16 PM

thanks for the info. I've found that Meguirs scratchX works wonders on small scratches

03 6mt black/black

Old 11-10-2003, 06:36 PM

Im going to need some and work out some small scratches. Do yall get scratches on your bumper? What about dents....I have small one bottom of driver door....dealer was telling me 150 bucks to fix it.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:56 AM

strictlyg35,

sure, i get scratches all the time, all over the place. the more serious ones i don't bother with, ie the bumper ones. i was told that detailers can take care of a good portion of them for you. but i also heard they can charge around $200-250 bux for a full detail.

rather than spend that kinda money once or twice a year, i picked up a porter cable 7424. with all the accessories/chemicals/towels, i've spent about $500. however, now i can buff out the minor scratches myself. it may seem like alot, but in the 3 months that i've had it, i've detailed 3 cars, 2 of which had minor scratches removed. for the more serious (rock chips and such), i'm probably going to use touch up paint and langka.

i used to get infuriated when i saw a scratch, now i just stamp my feet and wave my arms a little for a minute or two, and remind myself to hit that spot during the next detail.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, I didn't think you could buff a clearcoat, you'd go through it, was I wrong about that?

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan

Old 11-11-2003, 01:07 PM

abq_g35

i'm going to try not to bastardize this explanation, since i'm still newb to this.

the pc 7424 doesn't generate enough heat to have to worry about it(random orbital). granted, it works by removing a small amount of the clearcoat, but not so much as to worry about it. you can take a look at autopia for more info. i think you are thinking about rotary buffers, that's another kind of beast.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by tkman00 on 11/11/03 10:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-11-2003, 01:11 PM

No, I was talking about an orbital, but not so much the buffer removing the clearcoat, but making it hazy, I have an orbital I haven't used since I began getting clearcoat paint.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:30 PM

hrm,

i think that would be dependant on what chemicals you used. the pc7424 is a pretty impressive tool. w/ only one of my chemicals you have the chance of getting a hazy finish. the chance of that happening is also due to improper use.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:34 PM

I see, my car has some overspray on the upper body, roof and windows, and the dealer is going to take care of it, the service guy mentioned "buffing it" I would hope the Infiniti dealer would know how to do this right!

Old 11-11-2003, 09:13 PM

well, i'd assume that your dealer will just send it out to their contracted body shop. obviously, if it turns out wrong, you can hold them accountable.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:46 PM

I got most of it off the windshield with gasoline, but didn't want to try that on the paint!

Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM

overspray on the windshield - razor blade

overspray on the car - light buffing compound and clay

swirls - i've been using the 7424 on the 4 black cars that i have, and it always gives good results, I used to have a huge random orbital, but the 7424 set at 3.5 to 4 allows you to work the areas much more effectively. It actually removes very little clear coat, basically what you're doing is not removing the swirls, but knocking down the edges - sharp edges are where the light catches and shines - so by rounding them out they make them not as noticeable. I leave my car outside, buff it once a month and wax as you dry twice a month. I use meguiars swirl remover v2 for light duty swirls (after clay and a cleaner of course), 3M perfect-it for deeper swirls, and 3M machine polish for the worst of them - haven't had bad results in 7 years - i use a foam pad w/ the fingers (www.properautocare.com) buffing pad for the cleaners/swirl removers, polishing pad for the glazes/sealants. I would highly recommend the meguiar's line of products, they're easy to use and do what they say they're going to do. suplement them with mother's clay, eagle one wax as you dry, and the classic motoring foam pads and you will NEVER regret it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SCRATCHES