Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

3M Clear Bra Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Clear Bra Installation

Hi,
My name is Jeremy and our Company, Invisiguard
installs paint protection film kits in the San Francisco bay area. In case your not
familiar with our product, which are sometimes
referred to as a "clear bra", these are precision
computer cut kits designed for a perfect fit on each
vehicle, and made from a flexible, energy absorbent
thermoplastic urethane film developed by 3M that
employs a clear-coat finish top layer for a shine that
matches that of the new vehicles paint but last for
years. This material was developed for protecting
military aircraft propeller blades and helicopter
rotors durring Desert Storm, and has been tested and
used for more than ten years in applications ranging
from commercial jet engine housings to all of the
NASCAR vehicles you see racing every Sunday.

Our kits are the most reliable, durable, and
least visible, paint protection system available
anywhere. Our kits include coverage for the hood,
fenders, mirrors, headlights, and bumper, it fully
protects the frontal impact area of your car from
chips and scratches caused by road debris and
eliminates the need for unattractive, high maintenance
car bras that are actually abrasive and discoloring to
your cars paint, and destroy the look and styling the
manufacturer intended. Once installed, Invisiguard
will last for the life of the vehicle with no further
maintenance. It can be washed, waxed, and treated as
any other area of the painted surface and can be
removed at any time with no damage to the paint.

We have been offering our Full Paint Protection Package for
the 350Z to my350Z.com forum members for the
promotional price of $595(normally $795) installed with a full
lifetime warrenty on material and installation for the
original purchaser, and would like to offer it to G35driver.com forum members as well. Look here for pics of our Paint Protection on a 350Z! http://www.pbase.com/dxm/inivisiguard_01

Write me if you have any other questions or feel free
to call anytime, 707-328-5865
Jeremy

4647-z2.jpeg

Old 09-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Re: 3M Clear Bra Installation

I had answered a posting about this product before and I think Jeremy summed it up well. I believe all the "clear bra" materials are made by 3M, yet there are different brand names associated with each (Stoneguard, Invisiguard, etc.) The difference lies in the templates as my friend had to have some excess material cut to cover the underside of his doorhandles (no more scratches).

I've seen this product on my friend's black G35 and it's hard to detect. One must be in a certain lighting and look at it from a certain angle in order to detect it (that is if it was installed properly). Sure beats having a bra on there. I'm having it installed first thing once I buy my G35 in late winter/early spring.

Old 09-26-2002, 09:17 PM

Actually, there are at least 2 different types of film in use other than 3M. Avery Dennison and Ricochet are the most popular after 3M. Templates do make a difference, as well as the experience level of the installer.

In order of protection quality you have...

1. Custom installation (using bulk material where all leading edges are fully wrapped and then trimmed)
2. Template or "kit" install where the leading edge of the hood is wrapped underneath. StonGard claims they cut their kits long so you can wrap them, but in my experience, they are just cut too short to begin with. You may be able to wrap the leading edge, but the remaining coverage is skimpy on the templates I've seen installed.
3. Template or "kit" install where film edge is even with, or just short of, the vehicles leading edge. This is like the "kit" you get from X-pel. The template gives broad coverage on the hood, but the fender protection is just WAY too small, and not aesthetically pleasing.

No matter what type of film you choose, the installation makes or breaks the product. Find a good installer!!

Best of luck to everyone keeping your "G's" chip free!!

Old 09-29-2002, 12:25 AM

I have to say one thing... great idea but the place that installed mine upset me. I went to pick my car up and one, it was the wrong car but whatever, Idon't care too much about the wood interior and the spoiler I can get later. However, what made me upset was the fact that the company that put on the clear coat messed up and said they didn't! I had this part that was stretched and pulled, then another that was "bubbling" and it looked nothing like the clear coat that was on the Q45 in the showroom! So I am going to go have this thing removed and get my money back. I am in the Boston area and was wondering if you could possilby e-mail me (smahalec@alumni.cmu.edu) a place that could install this clear coat for me that you would have place it on your car as well! If they do a good job, hell, I'll be willing to take in a 911 to get it put up front as well since I found this horendous chip in the front already!

Some people say Infiniti's are for old people. I'm not going argue. I just step on my gas pedal.

Old 10-01-2002, 07:55 PM

Infiniti of Norwood sent mine out to some aftermarket guy(I think on the Automile). It appears OK, although I can see some areas where it might be coming loose. I will take back if it gets any worse.
How do you think the G's will do in one of our sloppy snowstorms?

Old 10-15-2002, 10:33 PM

As far as I know Ricochet does not manufacture its own film. as for 3M or Avery Dennison, they both have their own unique properties, most prominent is that 3M looks better on black cars and Avery should ALWAYS be used on white cars. As far as kit design and amount of coverage, keep in mind that these kits are designed to cover the frontal impact area of the car where the vast majority of chips and scratches occur, while keeping it as visually unobtrusive and affordable and practical to install as possible. Dont confuse more coverage with more protection.

As far as your bad experience with the bubbling, this happens when a water pocket is trapped under the film, gets hot and starts to bubble. This is kind of the nature of the beast installing these kits and can be easily fixed if cought in time, luckily problems like this usually happens immediatly after installation. Any good installer knows this and will fix any problems that arise. This is why we offer a full lifetime warrenty to the original purchaser on all our installations. Good luck getting your film fixed properly, as Coupesoon said, it all comes down to the installation. Baltimore is probably to far for you, but Rob at Maryland Performance is probably the best installer on the east coast, Email him at mdperfworks@md.prestige.net

Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 AM

Check your PM adr =)

Old 10-16-2002, 11:45 PM

well we are going to be in LA doing installs for my350z.com forum members this weekend, we have time on Friday for another install if anyone is interested I'll have a G35 kit on hand. I'll go ahead and offer it for the same price I am offering them of $495 for the full paint protection kit installed(hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper) give me a call before then if your interested 707-328-5865. Or fell free to stop by if you are nearby and want to see how it looks on a 350Z, we'll be at
The Tint Factory
2033 La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles
If you just want to to come check it out Sat would be the best day since we will have alot of 350s there, but we will have time on Friday for an install, let me know!
Jeremy

Old 11-05-2002, 03:15 PM

Desperately need this in Cleveland area. Especially with salt application during the winter. Would be interested in investing in franchise after seeing the product in action.

Any dealers in Cleveland??

Old 11-05-2002, 07:53 PM

look here for a dealer finder by zip code xpel.com