Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best protection from bird poop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best protection from bird poop

I have been frustrated by a recent episode of bird poop etching into the clearcoat on my new G. I always remove bird droppings as soon as I see them, but sometimes they will sit on the car for hours (e.g. if I am at work).

What is the best way to protect paint (something easier than zaino)? I cleaned my car and applied by hand two coats of NXT, then went over it twice with Turtle Wax ICE. Should this kind of treatment every few weeks be enough?

It is odd that I'd never garaged a car until now, and sometimes bird poop would sit on my cars for weeks without etching. Now that my car is garage kept, and waxed every other week, I've had an etching incident.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience the strongest sealant on the market is the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (HGSG). It can last up to 12 months and leaves a great deep shine. However this strong protection comes at a price, because this is also a hard product to remove. I typically spray a little quick detailer on a microfiber towel and then remove it, followed by a dry microfiber towel. Great product if you want the best protection and you have a little extra patience when removing.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't think there is anything that will keep the cr@p from damaging the finish. I'm a big fan of the Klasse twins (all in one and sealant glaze.) There is nothing better for a dark colored car. I had just gotten them applied on the car and got some bird poop on the car a couple days later. It couldn't have been on for more than a few hours but it went through both layers and etched.

Bird cr@p is very strong. If you leave it on long enough, it will even etch glass. However, having something on your car is better than nothing.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Bird Poop recovery.................

First of all you need to remove the B/S asap! But be carefull birds eat sand
and that could be on the surface of your car. Possibly a spraybottle and
towel and lift the poop off. If the poop etches the surface depends on the
bird and what he's been eating.......not a lot we can do about that...haha.
Find a wax that isn't a cleaner/wax combo but a carnauba base wax and apply
several coats this will be the best protection against B/S etching. I use Zymol concours but that's another subject.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never seen etching before owning the G...

not even on cars that sat outside all day, everyday. I'd leave poop on for a week in 90 degF directly sunlight and never had a problem. Why now???? That is the thing that is frustrating.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Depending on the diet and kind of bird there is different levels of acidity in there droppings. Heat will generally accelerate the process, but its not the only factor. It also may have just not been noticeable depending on the color of the vehicle, lighting, etc.