Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Scratch X question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Scratch X question

I have tried scratch X on my car because i have a black infiniti sedan and black is not fun i have a bunch of fine scratches on the car. i bought scratch x hoping it would hide them do something but i tried it on a section of a few scratches didnt help i applied it 2 times to the same spot nothing. I just was thinking a few weeks before like 3 or 4 weeks i had applied wax to my car

The wax i used was maguires 3 step kit; clean paint; polish paint; wax; i am wondering if the reason scratch X did not work was because i have a coat of wax over the car so the wax is over the scratch so the product Scratch X wasnt really getting to the fine scratch at all

Now does this sound correct or does this not make sense what i am getting at is that is the coat of wax i put on a few weeks before i tried Scratch X preventing it to get to the actual fine scratch? or does it not make a difference

I have tried so many products to get rid of these scratches i have not tried zaino tho due to the fact its not in stores

Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
scratch x is garbage. you will not get out fine scratches without buffing.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 AM
what product should i use that are in stores and before i use it should i wash the car with detergent to take of existing wax?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
you don't need to take off existing wax. if the scratches are not deep (if you cannot feel them when you run your fingernail across them) you can get them buffed out. if you have never used a buffer, take it to a detailer and have them remove the scratches.

if you used the search option, there are some threads of black cars with fine scratches that look perfect after a machine buff.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 AM
alright i am thinking about using a few products from Menzerna so should i start over such as wash the paint with detergent to remove exisistng wax remove fine scratches polish car then wax it..

or should i just wash the car normally and remove the fine scratches with one product of Menzerna

Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I also have a black G with the same issues and used Meguiar's Scratch X then the last 2 steps of the 3 step process successfully. I used X because I did not trust anyone locally to work on my car and do not own a PC buffer.
Some things I have learned that are helpful are:

Scratch X will do nothing for deep scratches.

Always use a second water bucket to rinse out sponges between passes. This keeps sponge dirt from scratching more.

Use a clay bar after washing.

Scratch X takes A LOT of elbow grease to get it to work as a diminishing abrasive. The amount of result is almost directly proportional to the muscle you use and number of passes used.

I went over each secton 3 times. You may need to do one area per week to avoid extreme fatigue (Roof, door, hood, etc).

Once you've done this and the last 2 of 3 steps, you just need to wash about once per week and repeat the last 2 of 3 step process to keep it looking great.

If you have not seen the Meguiar's forum with lots of good pointers, check it out.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to buff the scratches out I would use the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. Or if you want the smoothest finish try the new Menzerna PO106FF. Either process will help buff out fine scratches but realize there almost always be some fine scratches still left. These polishes will strip any previous wax or sealant on the surface. To further hide the remaining fine scratches I would use the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze. Its designed to cling to the imperfections and add gloss.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Scratches in our paint..............

First of all never use detergent on your painted surfaces! You'll just create
larger issues. Scratch X is for fine scratches and as I have found will not
touch deep scratches. I had sooooo many scratches when I bought my G
it was like the dealership washed/dried it with sand.....twilight blue is just
as bad as black. I spent $ having a so called black car expert buff out my
paint but it didn't get all the scratches out. The problem is Nissans clearcoat
in the '80s it would flake off and now it's soft allowing scratches. Bottom line
have it buffed out and apply several coats of wax to protect the surface.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks for all your input everyone now i am debating if i should use

SSR 2.5 then
SSR 1 then
Wax

or

Menzerna Intensive polish then
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze then
Wax

which would be best do you think or would they be very similar in the end?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toymachine2009

SSR 2.5 then
SSR 1 then
Wax

or

Wax

These two products are very popular and have strong support. If it were me I would lean towards Menzerna. The Poorboy's polish does have a reputation for dusting.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by toymachine2009

SSR 2.5 then
SSR 1 then
Wax

or

Wax

none of these things will work to any level of satisfaction without getting it machine buffed!!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to work ScratchX into the paint with some elbow grease.
4-5 apps is normal as it's a fine polish already and breaks down (diminishes
in grit) while you work it in.

from my experience ScratchX has been great to remove swirls and minor
imprefections by hand.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
none of these things will work to any level of satisfaction without getting it machine buffed!!
This is the 2nd time you said i would not get them out without buffing it with a machine did i say i was not using a machine because i dont remember saying i wouldnt use a machine?

Yes i do have a very good buffing machine i will use just to make that clear for you!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Punchit
If you want to buff the scratches out I would use the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. Or if you want the smoothest finish try the new Menzerna PO106FF. Either process will help buff out fine scratches but realize there almost always be some fine scratches still left. These polishes will strip any previous wax or sealant on the surface. To further hide the remaining fine scratches I would use the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze. Its designed to cling to the imperfections and add gloss.
wouldnt these products do better there still made by same company just i think would be stronger

should i wash the car with Medium Cut Leveler (http://www.topoftheline.com/medium-c...h-remover.html)

then follow it with light cut polish (http://www.topoftheline.com/hitligcutswi.html)

Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kenchan
you have to work ScratchX into the paint with some elbow grease.
4-5 apps is normal as it's a fine polish already and breaks down (diminishes
in grit) while you work it in.

from my experience ScratchX has been great to remove swirls and minor
imprefections by hand.
+1. ScratchX is by no means garbage, you just need to use it correctly and realize it's for very light scratches and bird etchings. It takes heat to break down the abrasives, which means you need to create friction, which means you need to use some elbow grease, not just apply it and walk away.

You do not want to use Hi-Temp medium cut on Infiniti paint, it will leave a haze that will make you insane, and Light Cut will not finish down clean. I love "Heavy Cut", but I think it's a mistake for a first timer to use it on soft Infiniti paint. I'd recommend Intensive Polish and FPII or 106FF, like Punchit mentioned.

Hi-Temp products aren't bad by any means, they are just rather hard to break down via PC and can leave significant micro-marring on soft paint. If you DO decide to use a hi temp product get heavy cut (aka 357 magnum) as it has more bite than Medium and finishes down slightly better. I would finish with FPII regardless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scratch X question