Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Pic Request : Engine Bay Prepped For Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pic Request : Engine Bay Prepped For Cleaning

As a complete jack@ss when it comes to cars, I have no idea where to start in prepping my car for an engine clean.

"Cover all electrical parts with a plastic bag or aluminum foil" seems, a bit "un detailed" for lack of a better word.

There are so many electrical wires, connectors, air filters I'm afraid to start... what if I miss something?

So can someone post a picture, edited with captions if possible, about the parts they would cover up for an engine wash?

Disclaimer: I've searched the forums. All topics pertaining to this seems to be text only, there are no pictures that I found.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you'd like to take a snap shot of your engine bay at different angles (if needed) I'd be happy to try to photoshop some images w/ arrows and circle things I think could be covered up.

Of my years detailing, I haven't once had a problem (knock on wood) with detailing an engine bay and having something happen to the vehicle. Most engines are designed to withstand some water. You aren't flooding the engine and you aren't using a high pressure washer on the engine to knock something loose / off. I know most enthusiasts do not detail their engine bays because they are afraid to screw something up.

I must admit, I still always get a second of anxiety just as I turn the key over for the first time after you detail an engine bay, especially on an expensive exotic car.

Once you get your feet wet, it'll be no sweat. I know plenty of detailers that never cover up anything and haven't had any problems either.

I'll be waiting for your pics

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 04-24-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Great, that would be much helpful.

In order to save you time, I'll edit it first on what I would cover up, and then you can throw your inputs in.

P.S. itll be maybe a week or two until i can get that picture up... or ill try to find a picture online now.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
No problem, I'll be waiting for your pictures.

George

Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
George, I know exactly what you mean. I just did my engine last week. I was kind of sweating bullets for a few minutes it had been a while since I cleaned an engine. I followed your instructions and it turned out great. The G started right up after I was done with no probs. I didn't even cover anything up I was just very careful not to use to strong of a stream of water. I tried to stay as clear of electrical stuff as posible while still cleaning as much as possible also. Your tips were great and it only took me about 10-15 min total.
Thanks again for the great tips.