Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Glass Science- Glass Scrub Review Part 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass Science- Glass Scrub Review Part 1

I recently just tried the Glass Scrub on, of all things, shower doors! Although the weather here on the weekends has prevented me from trying it out on my cars, I was too excited to wait any longer. Upon my last shower I had a eureeka moment and decided it was time to clean these doors! I will follow up with Part 2, after I have tested it out on my 2 cars, one of which is my neglected beater/station truck.

Let me begin with some background. For some reason, despite not having hard water, my shower doors get trashed in no time. Every and any under the sink product has been used to clean this doors and the doors merely laugh back! Well, seeing as I have a garage full of detailing supplies, why not try some in the house.

My first attempt of cleaning these doors with detailing supplies was maybe 2 years ago. I used Griots glass polish with a terry rag but later found the bug sponge to work best. That polish worked failry well, but it was a chore using it. It spread like peanut butter and I used a ton of not so cheap product.

The second attempt was with a powder glass cleaner specifically for shower glass that I found in Home Depot. You need to mix the powder with water to make a paste, scrub, rinse, dry, etc. This stuff worked very well when I used a grout sponge which had a scrubber on 1 side (Much like a scotch brite pad but less harsh). Again, it was difficult to spread. Yes I could have made the paste thinner, but it didn't work as well then. It was faster and easier than the Griots, but a bit of pain having to make a paste, etc.

Now for the Glass Scrub: Used it today for the first time. I used a foam applicator which worked well, but I bet a firmer pad (I would love to break out the cyclo and some orange pads with this stuff) would increase effectiveness.

As per directions, I rinsed the glass first, applied a pea size dot on the applicator, and went to town in circular motions.

1. Product applied as easy as can be. Similar to toothpaste (Once it get some moisture, it just flowed and went smoothly over the glass

2. You can hear the product working. You know when the glass is clean by the sound. As I got to the heavier soiled portions you hear and feel the grittiness. As you work the product in, it gets smoother and smoother and the sponge no longer catches on the contamination

3. Once I felt that it was fairly smooth, it was time to rinse! Yes rinse, not buff, just rinse. The water sheeted off amazingly. The glass was noticeably smoother. The Griots as mentioned earlier needed to be buffed off (IIRC) and the spot remover from HD was thick and needed some scrubing to remove.

4. AFTER RINSE- I dried per instructions. I used a terry towel that we use around the house. It wasn't the best for drying but it worked. I followed up with a paper towel to get it totally dry.

Results: Spectacular for just one pass. I literally used 1 pea size amount of scrub for each door (approx 4' x 2' each). After drying, I did notice where I missed a spot or 2 and 1 area that needed a second application. This area is most problematic as it gets all the shampoo/soap residue and constant water. It is the area that you will see in the photos. I repeated the above steps and the doors came out great.

I would say the glass scrub removed more contaminants than the griots polished and the same as the spot remover from HD. I estimate that probably 97% of the spots came out. If you look at just the right angle, in certain areas I can still see a little water etching, but it is very minimal, I am extremely ****, and I know if I used a more abrasive pad, I can probably get most of the remaining spots out.

Prior to my review of this on auto glass (Stay Tuned), I will mention that I have tried Diamondite on my G & I found it to be more of a headache than what it was worth. It was way too expensive for too little product that did too little correction. I will go into more details and compare diamondite to Glass Scrub once I use it on both my vehicles.

I also followed up the Glass Scrub with the Glass Science Rain Clear. It was very strange as it is a gel, thick gel! I found it to be a little tougher to apply than RainX, and it streaked a bit for me (Easily cured with damp rag wipe down & buff with dry), but it left a nice clean glowing glass. Keep in mind that again I was using terry rage with a rough nap. If I wasn't so lazy I would have grabbed my glass MF's with the ultra low nap and I am sure it would have avoided any and all streaks!

End result...Great product, easy to use, and priced right.

Please note that I am the type of person, despite knowing that it is not always true, that thinks that more $$ products work better than less expensive ones. In the case of the glass scrub, I am dead wrong. I have tried more expensive products that don't work as well and aren't as easy to use.

I will definitely keep this product handy for cleaning glass if the results on my cars are anything like my shower doors!

BEFORES (Sorry, tough to get pictures of glass especially untinted)

A little dab will do ya!

Scrubbing in progress

AFTERS: (Prior to Rain Clear being applied)
Ignore the halogramming! Looked streak free in person but the camera caught some streaks.

In this photo, which was taken after the first application, you can still see a bit of the etching. The second pass cleared most of it up.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Concours d'Elegance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very impressive! Thank you for the write-up.

Have you tried Zaino Glass Polish on this feat?

Where are these available for purchase?

Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by G35stilez
Where are these available for purchase?
We carry the Glass Science products and have had great luck with it so far. I use the Glass Scrub on the exterior glass of all my details. Biggest thing with this product as Diesel1 mentioned, the surface has to be wet when applying the product.

If you have any questions on it let me know. Sean I've read your write-ups and reviews over on Autopia, you provide excellent information as well.

George

Old 05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
George,
do you have any recommendations for Windshields that are "slightly" pitted ??

Dave