Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black 2007 G35 - where are these scratches coming from?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by pmezo
ill try my best to wash my car in the summer, but what happens in the winter time? I'm from the northeast and I cant be standinding outside in the freezing cold washing my car. I have to get some kind of car washes at some point. The hand wash at my local car was range from $16.99 to about $50. It will get expensive getting $20 car washes every time my car gets dirty which is usually like twice a week.

I even tried rubbing amd scratching out a little scratch lightly with my finger and it made the scratch even worse! Are all black cars light this or is it just soft infiniti paint?

I had a silver wrx before this and would always just go through the automatic car wash and I never got one scratch from it. I'm guessing i'm far far away from having a silver car though.
I live in a colder climate as well and QEW (Quick & Easy Wash) is what I use in the wintertime. It allows you to wash your car without rinsing. You can take a look at it here. ONR (Optimum No Rinse) is another product that is similar.

Chances are your silver WRX had swirl marks from the automatic car washes as well, but were far less noticeable on a silver car than a black car. The best thing you can do, and I can't stress this enough, is to hand wash your G yourself and learn how to do it the right way using the links that have been provided in this thread. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
George,

I have the same issue with swirl / scratch marks on my BO G. Could you kindly put together a package for me including pads for a PC.

Thanks!
PMs sent!

Look forward to hearing back from you.

George

Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't use QEW or ONR, as suggested above, just go to a touchless car wash in the winter. Much less chance of marring (swirling). To give you an idea of how bad other people touching your car can be: I had some minor repainting done last week. I spent 7 hours the week before removing major swirling put in by the body shop the week earlier. There were NO swirls last week. I told them NOT to touch the car except where they were working. When I got it back a few days ago, they obviously either used an automatic car wash or washed it using poor technique: Swirling and scratches in many places. I don't let ANYone wash my black G35.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Porter cable works wonders.

There's this video showing how well it works. It shows Pinnacle products, but you can use your preference of polishes and waxes.

The key is to get the swirls and scratches out then use your favorite wax or sealant to top it off.

For washing, I always use a microfiber mitt and the bucket. Keeping the water/soap solution "fresh", not to introduce new swirls.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres no way to avoid it. plain and simple.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. I found that Meguiar's scratch x works great. I had atleast 8 scratches and it removed them nicely. Plus you can work it in by hand.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07G Coupe Chick
I have the same problem. I found that Meguiar's scratch x works great. I had atleast 8 scratches and it removed them nicely. Plus you can work it in by hand.
The only problem is that it is not really practical for doing a whole car.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM
07 G35 balack sedan here. I feel your pain. Got my car in December. 2 weeks later, I get a hugh scratch on the rear bumper, scratch marks from taking it to those $30 car wash pplaces, and two months later, a bad door ding. Now, I hand wash my car only, and park it way out there and walk a bit more so my baby will suffeer no more.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
As others have stated, stay away from anyone else washing your car.
Silver won't show scratches like black does.
I use Zaino products, and they have products for minimizing scratches.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Just picked up my black sport 2 days ago and already have scratches on the trunk lid.I'm assuming dealer did it even though i said i'd wash it myself
Don't know for sure since i picked it up at night.
Car came with "free car washes for life" but that will be the first and last time the touch her.