Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black 2007 G35 - where are these scratches coming from?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 2007 G35 - where are these scratches coming from?

Ok, so it's like the title says - I just got a 2007 black G35 and I'm noticing all of these tiny light scratches that randomly show up from time to time. Does anyone have any idea where they can be coming from?

I've never owned a black car before, do scratches just show up and are more visible on black cars? I get a lot of car washes, could the car wash possibly be the reason for all of these scratches. It's really annoying and I have no idea where they're coming from.

Also, does anyone have any good tips to get these scratches out? They aren't deep at all, but soap and water just isnt doing it. Is there any good scratch stuff that I can use to get these out?

Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
You mentioned that you get a lot of car washes.........do you mean that you use automatic car washes? If so, are they touchless car washes? If you go through car washes where they actually touch your car, that would be the culprit for your scratches.

You should always wash your G by hand, use a 100% sheepskin mitt and use two buckets. Infiniti's paint is known for being quite soft, so it doesn't take much to put scratches in the clear coat. Since you have Black Obsidian, you might want to invest in a Porter Cable to remove those fine scratches. Learning how to detail your car properly is highly recommended when owning a black car.

Take a look at this thread as it has a wealth of valuable information. Also, consider purchasing a Porter Cable here along with an abrasive polish like these to remove the scratches on your G.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I go through those automatic car washes where the machines do everything. You think that this is the reason for my scratches? I couldn't think of any other reason that would be causing this problem. It looks like i'm going to have to just spend the extra money and get the hand wash everytime I get my car washed.

As for the porter cable.. how well do they work? I've never really buffed anything before, but these scratches are really annoying and I definitely want them out of the car. Is there any kind of special soap to use with that buffer? Anything else I should know?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stay away from ANY of the automatic car washes thats why you have all those scratches on your car, trust me youll regret getting black soon enough

Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
black is one of the hardest color to keep clean and scratch free. all you can do to get the small scratch out is to buff it out. you will save more money washing it yourself.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
well keeping it clean isn't really the problem... the problem is that keeping it clean is giving me scratches everywhere. I guess no more automatic car washes for me.

How well do these buffers work? Any one use a specific buffer that works for them? What kind of stuff do you use with the buffer? Is there a specific time when it is best to buff out scratches (right before or after a car wash for example)..?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out the link...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141057

It will explain almost everything for you.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by pmezo
I go through those automatic car washes where the machines do everything. You think that this is the reason for my scratches? I couldn't think of any other reason that would be causing this problem. It looks like i'm going to have to just spend the extra money and get the hand wash everytime I get my car washed.

As for the porter cable.. how well do they work? I've never really buffed anything before, but these scratches are really annoying and I definitely want them out of the car. Is there any kind of special soap to use with that buffer? Anything else I should know?
Yeah, you really need to stay away from the automatic car washes. You can do enough damage to the paint by hand washing your G improperly let alone the automatic car washes.

As for the Porter Cable, read the thread that I posted in my first response.......that will give you some valuable information. The Porter Cable is worth every single penny. You use an abrasive polish with the Porter Cable to remove a fine layer of paint from your G, which in turn will remove the scratches. Take a look at my thread below and that will give you a good idea of what you can expect for results with a PC.

https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-v36-sedan/152649-detailing-day-finally.html

Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
pmezo - The members have all replied with great advice. You are definitely getting the scratches and swirls because of the automatic car washes.

I'd be happy to put together a package to fit your needs both for removing the scratches and getting you some quality wash products and tools so that these swirls do not come back nearly as fast. Just shoot me a PM.

For some more reading, I'd encourage you to read this Ask a Professional Detailer Thread as well as these 7 Steps of the Automotive Detailing Process. This will help give you a better understanding of why and how you are getting these scratches, how to remove them and how to prevent them from happening again.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 PM
ok, so definitely no more automatic wash, but my local car wash also has a hand wash car wash. The people there will do a hand wash. It costs a little more, but will it still cause scratches and swirls?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by pmezo
ok, so definitely no more automatic wash, but my local car wash also has a hand wash car wash. The people there will do a hand wash. It costs a little more, but will it still cause scratches and swirls?
To be honest, I wouldn't go to that place to get a hand wash done either. The chances of them washing your G properly is slim at best. If you want to minimize the scratches on your G, you really should hand wash it yourself and do it properly. Take a look at the link below and this goes over washing your car the right way with the two bucket system.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...ng-drying.html

My golden rule is not to let ANYONE wash my car except myself.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 05-07-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
pmezo - The members have all replied with great advice. You are definitely getting the scratches and swirls because of the automatic car washes.

I'd be happy to put together a package to fit your needs both for removing the scratches and getting you some quality wash products and tools so that these swirls do not come back nearly as fast. Just shoot me a PM.

For some more reading, I'd encourage you to read this Ask a Professional Detailer Thread as well as these 7 Steps of the Automotive Detailing Process. This will help give you a better understanding of why and how you are getting these scratches, how to remove them and how to prevent them from happening again.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
George,

I have the same issue with swirl / scratch marks on my BO G. Could you kindly put together a package for me including pads for a PC.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont take you car to an automatic car wash, especially with a black G. just wash it yourself or look for one of those self car washes that use a pressure hose. i get thin fine scratches all the damn time everytime i wash my car, but its a given. black is the hardest to keep clean.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
ill try my best to wash my car in the summer, but what happens in the winter time? I'm from the northeast and I cant be standinding outside in the freezing cold washing my car. I have to get some kind of car washes at some point. The hand wash at my local car was range from $16.99 to about $50. It will get expensive getting $20 car washes every time my car gets dirty which is usually like twice a week.

I even tried rubbing amd scratching out a little scratch lightly with my finger and it made the scratch even worse! Are all black cars light this or is it just soft infiniti paint?

I had a silver wrx before this and would always just go through the automatic car wash and I never got one scratch from it. I'm guessing i'm far far away from having a silver car though.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
To be honest, I wouldn't go to that place to get a hand wash done either. The chances of them washing your G properly is slim at best. If you want to minimize the scratches on your G, you really should hand wash it yourself and do it properly. Take a look at the link below and this goes over washing your car the right way with the two bucket system.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...ng-drying.html

My golden rule is not to let ANYONE wash my car except myself.
im 100% with you on that one dude., but to stay on topic like everyone has already told you stay away from the Brush washers and try to take some time out to detail your G on your own, George @ Detailedimage.com can definitely supply you with all you need to take the scratches off of your G. Good Luck & post results

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black 2007 G35 - where are these scratches coming from?