Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wheel Sealant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2007 | 03:08 PM
|
Wheel Sealant?

I wanted to know if anyone has used Poorboys EX Sealant on their wheels. Seems like it would probably work since it is a sealant, albeit with a slight bit less durability than wheel wax or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I have the EX already, so just wondering if this is suitable for the task. Really I want something that will keep the brake dust easy to clean off. Playing with the new PC and goodies tomorrow!

Old 06-22-2007 | 05:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
It certainly will help, just monitor it's durability for maximum effectiveness. Give it a good polishing prior to applying the sealant for maximum results since Wheel Wax and Wheel Sealant have some mild cleaners in their solvent. I'd assess it to reapply every month or two. Maintain with a dedicated wash mitt and automotive shampoo and water until the brake dust becomes too difficult to remove and repeat.

George

Old 06-22-2007 | 07:52 PM
ive wanted to put some type of sealent on my rims but each time i wash my wheels i use soap or a wheel cleaner like meguier's hot rims soo using this method ive assumed the sealent would come off as well so i never bothered with it ??

Old 06-22-2007 | 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
ive wanted to put some type of sealent on my rims but each time i wash my wheels i use soap or a wheel cleaner like meguier's hot rims soo using this method ive assumed the sealent would come off as well so i never bothered with it ??
stop using a wheel cleaner every time you wash your car! soap and water works great on well maintained wheels. I use a wheel cleaner once a year before I put the wheels away for the winter after a thorough wash/clay/polish session only.

Old 06-23-2007 | 10:10 AM
i try to not use wheel cleaner each time but the freaking brake duust on my rims suuucks big time id have them nice and shiney then id go for a drive and within like 10 miles ive got dust again ......so much easier to spray teh wheel cleaner , let it eat away the dust then hose off ive messed up a few manicures trying to wipe that yuck off so id rather just spray without even touching the darn things

Old 06-23-2007 | 10:20 PM
Honestly try some Wheelwax ( http://www.wheelwax.com/ ), I have been using it for a couple of years and it really does help repel brake dust. A simple blast with the hose gets most of the dust off my rims. I have never had to use a wheel cleaner on my cars. I only use the same stuff I use to wash my car with and that is Zaino Car Wash Z7.
I highly reccomend it .

Old 06-25-2007 | 11:00 AM
|
I ended up picking up some Eagle One Nanopolish for wheels at Autozone (around $5) on Friday. Since this was my first time treating my wheels I don't have anything to compare to. It seemed to work pretty well in terms of cleaning properties as well as ease of application and removal. It definitely worked better with a thin layer of application. Loved the smell too

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1120&cat=5010

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 06-25-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2007 | 09:08 PM
I ended up trying the PB Wheel Sealant and it seems to work as advertised.

Long story but I had a whole day waiting for the garage door guy to come out and replace the torque bar so I cleaned the wheels with PB S&W (couldn't safely get it out of the garage) and put two coats of Wheel Sealant on the front wheels only figuring that's where the worst problem is.

Got a wash at the dealer the next week and instead of wheels that still needed cleaning they were pretty much fine, and that's after a number of days driving in the rain. Plenty of road grime was on the wheels when I brought the car in but not much obvious brake dust.

The next morning I cleaned the wheels with S&W again although they really didn't look like they needed it but a bit of dust was visible on the MF. This time I put Menzerna HGAS on the driver side wheels only to see how it might work out over the sealant up front and by itself on the back wheel.

Finished detailing out the car Saturday and took it for a drive. Stopped for gas and the wheels looked like the car hadn't been ran - no rain and clear weather meant no road grime I guess. I could clear the leading edge of the wheel spokes with a light brush of a finger tip, no problem, but the side with the HGAS was definitely slicker to the touch although it wasn't clear if there was less dust.

The front wheels had about the same amount of dust as the rear wheels which I take to mean the sealant helped keep it from adhering. It wasn't obvious that the HGAS treated side was better than the non-treated side other than it seemed easier to brush off any dust with a MF cloth. Found only one particle embedded in the driver's side front wheel and it didn't remove cleanly.

I've since put HGAS on the passenger side wheels and when the rain stops next, if it ever does, it'll go through the dealer wash again followed by a drive the next morning after detailing it out. It'll be interesting to see if the treatment holds up to their wash, lots of highway driving in the rain, etc. Hopefully I won't have to go to the trouble of applying the sealant to the rear wheels, what a pita.

These are the 18" wheels on a sedan with the performance tire/wheel package so I'd think that polished wheels would be a completely different problem as the finish on these hides fine scratches, at least in the short term. I should probably take more care with them if they're going to last but as the temps climb here in TX I'm less inclined to wash the car myself. Leaves more time for rolling up that odo...

HTH, Pete

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:12 PM
Get it, it works. After i polish my rims I put 2 coats of it on and it gives them a nicer shine and protection. When you wash the car again, all you need to do is just wash them with car soap and it looks as if you polished them. Whereas if you hadnt put the sealent on it, after a wash my wheels would have spots on them. They are polished wheels though.