Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New G owner - Wash Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G owner - Wash Question

Last Friday, I picked up my G Sedan and am wondering how you typically wash your car. In the warm months, I intend to do it by hand. But now it's in the 20's and obviously hand washing isn't going to happen. Where do you take your cars? What type of wash do you use? Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Premier Member

Re: New G owner - Wash Question

Generally wash mine in the winter months at an auto, drive in car wash, I don't hand wash because of the snow, salt etc.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use touchless auto washes (those with lower profile tires hate them though) and use rim wipes prior to clean off brake dust prior and use tire wipes to shine the shoes after. Every month or so I'll use an automated self service wand type wash to really get the wheels and underside before taking it to a touchless wash.

FYI - may be obvious, but the <a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=12">Detailing and Eye Candy Info forum</a> will have a ton of more relevant information already.

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was seriously considering asking my dealer about his wash, if it had to be in for service, or if they could wash it for a price, they did a decent job on it when I had it in for service before, and the obviously use de-ionized water, non of the water that ran out of nooks and crannies left spots!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-26-2004, 06:46 PM

I would only use a touch-less wash especially with a dark color like black. Also, I wouldn't trust the dealer. I never let the dealer do any washing or detailing.

2003 Black Coupe
Premium Package, Aero package, 35% Tint

Old 01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
WRAH

I thought all Infiniti dealers gave free car washes!!! German Ford gives free car washes, FORD!!! What gives???

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murry

Old 01-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your best bet would be to go to a hand wash service in your area...I always wash my own car as long as its above freezing, but lately thats been impossible...I will not take my car to a brushless wash because A) it will leave tiny scratches in the finish...and B) my 18" rims will be scratched for sure from all the other posts I've read regarding car washes...My dealer does wash the car at service times...but I usually do not let them wash it either....If you can't find a hand wash in your area...I would just wait...road salt will accumulate regardless if your car is clean or not....2old4this

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners & Piaa's on the way

Old 01-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Oh, I meant at other times than service visits!

Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's wrong with handwashing when its 20 degrees outside?

I just fill up a bucket with hot water, and wash the car, while wearing a ski hat. The hot water keeps my hands nice and warm, and when my hand gets cold, I just dunk the mit in the hot water/soap some more...

Though, be careful when you rinse, so as not to slip on any ice that may have formed on your driveway I just rinse my driveway around the car every few minutes, to melt any ice that has formed while I wash the car...

I'm going to buy a leaf blower soon too, so I can dry the car, without having to freeze my hands off with a chamois. I heard it is easier/better to use a blower anyways... I'm sure my neighbors will think I'm crazier then they already do...

Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 PM

Damn, be really careful not to get that hot water on your glass if it's that cold! Guess it would be okay if the inside of the car had been nice and warm prior to that!

Old 01-28-2004, 12:50 PM

I normally refuse to do the automatic car washes, especially the touchless ones, since the ones I've been to don't ever get the car really clean. Since my car has been covered in salt for weeks, I decided to let the dealership do the carwash this time at my service (Ramsey, NJ). I was watching them do it from the service area - and was impressed enough to not refuse carwashes from them in the future. They rinsed the car for quite a while before they ever touched it to get all the salt off. Took 'em a whole half hour. I think they charge $10 if you don't get it during scheduled service.

But I could see how this can vary from dealer to dealer.

Drew
2003 G35 Sedan 6MT / Black / Graphite / Prem / Aero

Old 01-28-2004, 03:51 PM

I wash it even when it's cold out, but my stupid outside faucet is frozen (no hose connected).

Water may freeze my hands, but it's worth it to get this damn salt off

Twlight blue/Willow 6mt.
It's here

Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 PM

Guys-

What I found works great so far, is that since it's 20 and below here in CT...I go to a "manual" car wash. These are the stalls that you drive into and wash the car by dropping in coins. I use about $5 and high-pressure wash the dirt/salt off, use the high pressure soap, and the pressure wash the car down again. Since there is high pressure, it seems to get 99% of the dirt off, but not once do I physically touch the vehical. Since there are no "guide rails", you don't have to worry about your rims. You can use the nozzle to wash the underside of the car.

I tried to wash my car by hand, and the water just froze to the car! I'm definitely going to wait until it's warmer to try that again!

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 02-06-2004, 12:54 AM

Why don't all of you just move out here to Calif. and then you won't have to worry about it? Everyone else does, and I mean everyone.

2003 Blk/Blk Premium w/navigation
Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Grounding Wires