Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

dawn dish soap..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dawn dish soap..

i plan on putting the zaino on 2marow and they recomended dawn to first wash your car. now im wondering the amount of dawn to water everyone is using, also is it cold water or hot water? thanks

Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: dawn dish soap..

I don't think the water temp matters too much. It would probably cut through a little more with warmer than colder water.As far as ratio I'd put a couple of tablespoons for a bucket. Same mixture as a regular car wash.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get the Dawn thing, I always used that to clean the really dirty lower sides of my Mustang, it never seemed to remove any wax, maybe it's the way it's diluted, on the other hand, I had tried some Maguiar's car wash, and it left the car with no beading water afterwards.

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 03-07-2004, 03:56 PM

Dawn will remove the wax, but on a clearcoat paint job, you can't really tell just by looking.

If you take 2 identical cars, wash one with dawn all the time and don't wax it, and the other with car soap and the occassional wax, leave them both in the sun for a couple of years, you'll start to notice the difference.

It's not immediately damaging. Before I knew how bad it was, I used to use it as a regular car wash. Combined with waxing the car every 6 months, it's not going to scar the paint during your ownership of the vehicle. There will be more oxidization of the paint between waxings, but waxing removes it.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ryoken,
I only would use it on the lower boddy panels when the car was really dirty, like from a storm, but my GT was Laser Red, and I never saw any signs of wax removal, but I don't use it anymore, been using Zymol lately. The last four vehicles I have owned, I have been waxing every two months, may overshoot that these days by a week or so, but my car isn't sitting in the elements all day like it used to!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 AM

My car sits in the elements every day, and only gets wax every 6 months. I love my car, but I'm not fanatical about it. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]