Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ok to pressure wash engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine Compartment Steam Cleaning:
High-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise. Once steam is applied to a cold metal surface it condenses and becomes water that may be in a place that it cannot be easily removed from.

Modern vehicle engine harness multi-plugs and related sealing measures are not designed for the discharge velocity and force of typical commercial steam cleaning units. Further, cleaning solutions with the high-pressure discharge can leave conductive and often corrosive residues deep within the harness and cables.
Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine water / steam cleaning are unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. So I guess I'll have to find something else to pressure spray. My neighbors driveway looks pretty dirty.

As for the engine, there are so many nooks and crannies that I don't think I wanna hassle with it by hand so I guess I'll just look for a detail shop to do it. If they really do only charge 20-30 bucks, it's totally worth it.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by citymunky
^Simple Green is corrosive to Aluminum
Umm no it's not. Been using it for many years. It is one of the most recommend engine cleaners to use from the detail forums.

For your education:

ALUMINUM SIDING
Simple Green is extremely effective at cleaning siding (vinyl siding, wood cladding, aluminum siding, stucco, etc.) If your siding is not heavily soiled and you have access to a pressure washer or steam cleaner, a 1-part Simple Green to 30-parts water solution would be best. If you will be manually cleaning the surface, use a 1-part Simple Green to 10-parts water solution. Work in sections so that the Simple Green solution does not dry on the surface prior to rinsing. Best results come from starting on lower areas and working upward, to avoid making "clean streaks" that are very difficult to even out.

If you are trying to remove grease buildup on your siding from a vented exhaust, manually clean the area with a 1:5 dilution using a rag or sponge. Test this dilution first and increase strength as necessary, to a strongest solution of 1:1. Wash in small sections and rinse with water before solution dries.

If your siding has a powder coat, you may experience some color runoff due to removal of oxidized paint. This removal is essential for maintaining your siding and in no way damages the paint or powder coat. If your aluminum is bare, please remember that Simple Green will remove all grease & soil. This means that you will have raw, unprotected aluminum exposed to the elements. We recommend using aluminum paint or some other sort of protective coating after cleaning to prevent oxidation of the metal. If the aluminum already has any sort of oxidation or discoloration from weather staining, Simple Green will not remove this. Simple Green will only work on dirt, pollution, biological soils, grease or oil that is on the surface.

Note: Another great product for this job is Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. This product is anti-corrosive to aluminum at dilutions up to and including 1:13; and it is a terrific cleaner. Available online through Aircraft Spruce and Grainger, and through some industrial distributors. Call 1-800-228-0709 for distribution in your area.

Last edited by G35_TX; 01-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^
Some Squadrons used to use Simple Green to clean aircraft panels a few years ago (Navy). They would clean the panels, then install on the aircraft. During the next inspection (180 days/364 days later) the panel would be badly corroded by Pitting. The panels were made of T6 6061 Aluminum Alloy. The panels were so bad, that they have to re-manufactured, or order new ones. This when on for a while, until the Navy said, what's going on?? After a investigation, The Navy determined that the use of Simple Green would be prohibited on there aircraft.

I have to sit and listen to this info for 2 hours. There were Pic's and video.

Maybe they didn't dilute it, we were not told.

Last edited by citymunky; 01-02-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Premier Member

I seriously doubt Simple Green caused that problem or they wouldn't still be using it for aircraft.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
water and paper towels is good enough for me

Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
they wouldn't still be using it for aircraft.
We (Navy and Marines) don't use Simple Green on aircraft. But hey what do I know, I only a Aviation Structural Mechanic

Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Premier Member

Well, good for you. It's all over the net the Aviation still uses it and per my friend at Pratt & Whitney, they still use it.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
simple green has a pH of ~9.3 which is basic and can promote corrosion/pitting, especially if used without dilution

Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
^Thank you

Minimum corrosion in aluminum starts at a pH level of 5.0, Simple Green is at a pH level of 9.5.
================================================== =================================
Now back on topic, use engine degreaser to clean your engine bay
http://www.autogeek.net/dp-engine-degreaser.html

Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Try Purple power. You can get it locally and it works well and it's $11 for 2.5 gallon.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes you can pressure wash an engine, done it for years without a single issue. Just cover up intake.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't there a version of simple green designed for cars?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by citymunky
^Thank you

Minimum corrosion in aluminum starts at a pH level of 5.0, Simple Green is at a pH level of 9.5.
wow!! i didnt know soap could cause corrosion!!! I guess I will be more careful around my stuff.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Products:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ag-ec001.html
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-720.html
How-to:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html

That's all you need plus about an hour of your time. I hadnt cleaned my engine in the first 2.5 years of ownership and just did that a couple weeks ago, my engine is sparkling better than new and looks great.
-GP-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok to pressure wash engine?