Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

GREAT tool for winter washers!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GREAT tool for winter washers!!!

This is actually great year round. Most of the spider webbing and marring on peoples paint is from poor washing techniques. Here's a few tips to keep your rides looking great and lesson the chances of introducing or adding more swirl marks on your paint. It's really important this time of year if you're washing your car, you need to make sure you give it a good 3-4 minute soak first. Salt gets on our cars from driving around and then it dries. You have all these salt crystals that have now hardened on your paint and if you just spray your car down and start wiping with your wash mitt, you have a great chance of swirling the hell out of your paint. This is where the pre-soak is VERY important. There are a couple products like the foam cannon or the foam gun that are used to pre-soak a car. Only issue is they can be pretty pricey but I found a GREAT solution. Goo Gone makes a home window cleaning "gun" that you can spray your windows down, even on the second floor, and it's basically a bottle with their cleaning solution in it. I was out of the cleaning solution so I cleaned out the bottle and put a couple ounces of Megs gold in it, filled it half way with water, and started to soak the car. It worked extremely well and the best part is that it cost $7.99!!!! There are 3 settings on the nozzle: rinse, soap and off. Set it to soap and start the pre-soaking. Let your car soak for a good 3-4 minutes and I promis all the crap will come off a LOT easier and you have way less chance of scratching your paint up. Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool idea, I'm defn going to try this before I grind some salt/sand into my paint.

Anther good idea for people who wash there cars in the cold is to use warm water in the wash bucket.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
massive bukkake shot!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts

I just use this.

It has a soap and water filter built in it so it's very easy to pre soak and after you done washing you rinse car off with filtered water to eliminate water spots when car dries.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER

I just use this.

It has a soap and water filter built in it so it's very easy to pre soak and after you done washing you rinse car off with filtered water to eliminate water spots when car dries.

I use to use that too. I just wasn't impressed with the suds it would generate and it doesn't hold much soap.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the auto-dry car wash... doesn't cut it for me... lol

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by TURBOTOM
Cool idea, I'm defn going to try this before I grind some salt/sand into my paint.

Anther good idea for people who wash there cars in the cold is to use warm water in the wash bucket.

++++1 on the warm water! Helps keep the hands a little warmer. Also FOR SURE use the 2 bucket method when washing too because of all the crap that comes off the car this time of year.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Originally Posted by never gone
++++1 on the warm water! Helps keep the hands a little warmer. Also FOR SURE use the 2 bucket method when washing too because of all the crap that comes off the car this time of year.
Yea, also I want to get one of those little "spacers" that go on the bottom of the bucked that stop the sponge from hitting the bottom and picking the dirt up.

The thing on the right VVVV

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea, also I want to get one of those little "spacers" that go on the bottom of the bucked that stop the sponge from hitting the bottom and picking the dirt up.

The thing on the right VVVV

They are called grit guards and they are great, get one for both the rinse bucket and the wash bucket. I'm thinking about picking up a third one to double up in the rinse bucket

Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by redlude97
They are called grit guards and they are great, get one for both the rinse bucket and the wash bucket. I'm thinking about picking up a third one to double up in the rinse bucket
I rinse with a hose and just use one soap bucket.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
that works too, but its more of a hassle for me than just dropping the mitt in the rinse bucket as I spray the car down. Doesn't work so well in the winter either when the water is freezing, I'll stick to warm rinse bucket water any day!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
You have IP, if you had OB, you would need to use more than one bucket, and make sure all of the dirt is off the car before using a sponge.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Mr Clean wash and dry system, and I really wasn't that impressed with it overall performance. Now, I may consider using it again with the OP's idea of using my normal car wash soap.......Then, with the distilled water, it would probably work like a charm.

I still like to wash my car with a mitt. it allows me to really examine each panel for scratches, oil/grease marks, and any new imperfections since my last detail......

Guess I'm stuck in the 70's with my technique.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
I have the Mr Clean wash and dry system, and I really wasn't that impressed with it overall performance. Now, I may consider using it again with the OP's idea of using my normal car wash soap.......Then, with the distilled water, it would probably work like a charm.

I still like to wash my car with a mitt. it allows me to really examine each panel for scratches, oil/grease marks, and any new imperfections since my last detail......

Guess I'm stuck in the 70's with my technique.
do not use any other soap but MR Clean soap in it.

I tried and end up buying a new one.

Other soaps are too thick for it.

You will end up trowing the thing away.

By the way. I only use Mr Clean system for soaking only. After it sits for couple of minutes I wash it with Meguiars soap and MF glove.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
You have IP, if you had OB, you would need to use more than one bucket, and make sure all of the dirt is off the car before using a sponge.

that's why I got the IP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GREAT tool for winter washers!!!