Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wheel Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know you can save some money and go out (carquest) and buy some Duragloss 111,101 or 105 and layer that 3 times and that would last longer then wheel wax.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Wheel wax is just ok. It's carnauba based so it doesn't really last that long because of the heat generated by the wheels. You have to apply it often for it to really be effective. If you have Zaino you can use the Z-2 and seal them, it's lasts a lot longer that a canauba based wax.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Would a paint sealant work on wheels? Im thinking of putting Menzerna FMJ and topping it off with the Wheel Wax

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by never gone
Wheel wax is just ok. It's carnauba based so it doesn't really last that long because of the heat generated by the wheels. You have to apply it often for it to really be effective. If you have Zaino you can use the Z-2 and seal them, it's lasts a lot longer that a canauba based wax.
I'm sorry but it is just the opposite. That is totally wrong. I have gone that route along with many others and Wheelwax rocks.

I used Zaino on my wheels originally and thought it worked fine but it is not formulated for them like wheelwax.

Wheelwax is made to stand the heat generated by the brakes and to repel brake dust. It lasts a long time. I even put a coating on the inside of the rims once a year where brake dust and crud can really build up and it cleans up real easy at the end of the season.

Some of us found it works with heat so well we have started using wheelwax on our exhaust tips (as RBull said earlier in this thread)

I should also add, that I have friends who are also extremely satisfied with Poorboys Wheel Sealant. They say it works equally as well as the Wheelwax.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-10-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Wheel Wax it is...picking some up today. Thanks for the responses!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I stock both products and without a doubt I grab Poorboy's Wheel Sealant over Wheel Wax every time without hesitation. Wheel Sealant is much easier to apply and remove, leaves the surface slicker and I find that it's more durable. It's a few more dollars per jar but I think it's worth every penny. Here's a quick read on one of our customers who used Wheel Wax and recently switched to Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=514

Originally Posted by DRG35R
George,

received first order of supplies two nights ago. that was quick! thank you.

immediately got busy polishing a wheel with ScratchX in preparation for the Poorboy's wheel sealant. first impression of the Poorboy's is that it is not as watery as the Wheel Wax I had and smells 10X better. applied with a foam applicator that had been misted with Eagle One wipe and shine. product went on very easily and only had to use a small amount to cover entire wheel. completed application over wheel and sat back and let dry a bit. removal with a MF towel and I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it was to remove compared to the Wheel Wax. even after I let sit on wheel for longer periods of time. still came right off!

not knocking Wheel Wax as I have used this for years with very good results, but this Poorboy's is almost fun to use as it is so easy to apply and remove. put three coats on the wheel just because it was so easy. this is exactly what I was looking for.

the other thing I noticed is the slickness. could not believe how the surface felt afterwards. have never used a product that made the wheels feel so slippery. can't imagine much sticking to these now. Wheel Wax does a great job of protecting the finish, but did not make the finish this slick and I did a side by side comparison.

thanks so much for the recommendation and great customer service. can't wait to try the other products I ordered.
If you like Wheel Wax, you'll love Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

George

Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I'm sorry but it is just the opposite. That is totally wrong. I have gone that route along with many others and Wheelwax rocks.

I used Zaino on my wheels originally and thought it worked fine but it is not formulated for them like wheelwax.

Wheelwax is made to stand the heat generated by the brakes and to repel brake dust. It lasts a long time. I even put a coating on the inside of the rims once a year where brake dust and crud can really build up and it cleans up real easy at the end of the season.

Some of us found it works with heat so well we have started using wheelwax on our exhaust tips (as RBull said earlier in this thread)

I should also add, that I have friends who are also extremely satisfied with Poorboys Wheel Sealant. They say it works equally as well as the Wheelwax.

I'm sorry but it is not wrong. Wheel Wax is carnauba based. Canauba breaks down with heat fairly quickly, this is a fact. There is nothing special in Wheel Wax to make the carnauba resistant to heat, sorry. Why do you think carnauba based waxes for cars don't last that long compared to sealants especially in the summer? The sun and heat break them down. If you like it that's fine, I do too, however I have found that on my wheels and customers wheels, it does NOT last that long. Most people I know that use Wheels Wax say the same exact thing. Yes it's a decent product but if you think one application is going to last you a month or more, you are mistaken. If you have clear coated wheels, Zaino or any other sealant will last loner than Wheels Wax...fact.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
whatever^^^I am not arguing if it's Carnuba or not, I'm just saying it performs better on wheels than Zaino.
By the way I do love and use Zaino products.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-10-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I go with never gone. He actually know what he's talking about. Some guy(fminus) use all the wheel wax and sealant can get from detailing sites and he came to a conculsion that jetseal 109 was the only one that lasted the longest (A sealant).

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would i put WheelWax n Wheel Sealant on my vs-xx lip too?
what do you guys you to keep the lip shiny?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 AM
I have seen some pictures of fminus's work and it is nothing short of amazing. Greg mentioned Jet Seal being one of his new favorites on par with Menzerna's FMJ. I think I am going to go with Poorboy's Sealant for now and then try the Jet Seal after I burn through my FMJ.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-Cleaner-P179/

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...l-Sealant-P40/

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...Seal-109-P184/

Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 AM
The only thing I heard good about FMJ is that is shiny but doesn't last long. Thats why you don't hear that many people talk about it.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 AM
How about layering the rim with Klasse SG? I am not sure how it would stand up to the heat though. I believe if your rims are also clear coated you can wax with any carnauba wax.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
You can mostly wax or seal any non porous surface.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I use Zaino Z2 on my wheels and will also top them with Megs Tech Wax 2.0. I think the 2.0 works better than wheel wax and it lasts longer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Wax?