Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Full detail of a 350z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know myself IP could come out lsp ready. But I have a question. You didn't have any bonding issue with applying DWG over a carnuba wax. Is DWG more of a AIO or Sealant ???

I guess see so as I compare DWG to WMF.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Also good job to the white 350. Can't wait to see a black,red or blue car done by you

Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
wow...great job. i need to take more time cleaning mines

Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrooge
I know myself IP could come out lsp ready. But I have a question. You didn't have any bonding issue with applying DWG over a carnuba wax. Is DWG more of a AIO or Sealant ???

I guess see so as I compare DWG to WMF.

No bonding issues at all and that's because DWG is an acrylic glaze. You can even put it on right when you're done polishing and put your sealant of choice ON TOP of it. When I plan to do for my car is 2 coats of UPGP, then DWG and another UPGP. As to your other question, I wouldn't say DWG is an AIO or a sealant.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Also good job to the white 350. Can't wait to see a black,red or blue car done by you
Thanks man. I have a silver z, dark blue g and a couple black z's coming up soon. I'm really looking forward to the dark blue g.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 PM
GREAT JOB! I need u to come to PA to do my car....lol

Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by never gone
No bonding issues at all and that's because DWG is an acrylic glaze. You can even put it on right when you're done polishing and put your sealant of choice ON TOP of it. When I plan to do for my car is 2 coats of UPGP, then DWG and another UPGP. As to your other question, I wouldn't say DWG is an AIO or a sealant.
I thought the reason for acrylic glaze was to help sealant bond to them without no issue. But how I never read about someone layer carnuba wax first and then a glaze and then a sealant. Thats why I ask this question.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Great job...I love that first pic of the G reflecting from the street...very cool...

Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work. Huge difference, esp on the tail light.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
never gone, excellent work, especially with the imperfection removal.

When reading your process I had a similar concern as scrooge. I think the detail came out excellent, but take this as some constructive criticism to perhaps get a little more out of your next detail.

The ultimate finish of a vehicle comes primarily from the last applied product. The only thing I'd change with the order is this, moving the wax to the last step on your exterior:

wash with dawn
clay with megs
polish with menz IP on orange pad
wash
seal with UPGP
glaze with Danase wet glaze
glaze again with Danase wet glaze
seal with UPGP
wax with P21s
Zaino Z-16 on tires

Polymers and acrylics have a tough time bonding over waxes, and you're muting the benefit of having a wax on that vehicle. I did read that Danase said the product can be applied over a wax, but if it is truly polymer based, it still needs the proper surface to bond to for optimal durability and results. A carnauba wax usually doesn't provide that. Having the wax on top will also provide for tighter beading and will make maintaining the vehicle easier in the future.

Again, awesome work! It'd very hard to get a lighter vehicle to pop like that. During your next detail you use those same products, try applying the products in the order I suggested and see if you like it better.

George

Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
never gone, excellent work, especially with the imperfection removal.

When reading your process I had a similar concern as scrooge. I think the detail came out excellent, but take this as some constructive criticism to perhaps get a little more out of your next detail.

The ultimate finish of a vehicle comes primarily from the last applied product. The only thing I'd change with the order is this, moving the wax to the last step on your exterior:

wash with dawn
clay with megs
polish with menz IP on orange pad
wash
seal with UPGP
glaze with Danase wet glaze
glaze again with Danase wet glaze
seal with UPGP
wax with P21s
Zaino Z-16 on tires

Polymers and acrylics have a tough time bonding over waxes, and you're muting the benefit of having a wax on that vehicle. I did read that Danase said the product can be applied over a wax, but if it is truly polymer based, it still needs the proper surface to bond to for optimal durability and results. A carnauba wax usually doesn't provide that. Having the wax on top will also provide for tighter beading and will make maintaining the vehicle easier in the future.

Again, awesome work! It'd very hard to get a lighter vehicle to pop like that. During your next detail you use those same products, try applying the products in the order I suggested and see if you like it better.

George

I hear what you're saying and normally I would do wax as the last step, however this was a friends car so I wanted to try something different. Sometimes you have to break the norm to see if other options might work better. There are many detailers who are now using DWG in combinations you would never normally do with a glaze but since it's acrylic based, it opens the door to try other combos but I def appreciate your input. The one thing I would differ from you on is when you said "The ultimate finish of a vehicle comes primarily from the last applied product." You're honestly the first person I've seen say that. It's my belief and the belief of every detailer I know that proper paint prep makes up 90% of how a car looks. If the paint isn't clayed, washed or polished properly, the best waxes in the world won't make that car look good so really the ultimate finish of a vehicle would come from properly prepping the paint wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Holy smokes! Nice work man!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all I know is the P21s is expensive!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 AM
wow very nice work!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
So you use the Intensive polish with the orange pad?

I was planing to use the Super intensice polish with the orange pad, and the intesnsive polish with the white pad, would that work also?

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Full detail of a 350z