Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wiping the dirt off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiping the dirt off?

Hi all,

It is a crappy period of the year right now when we get small drissles of "rain" (1mm) every second day or so. The thing is, if the car is dusty when this drissle hits then the dust will sort of accumulate into little dust puddles by the time the car dries off. The dust spots every 1cm all over the car look VERY ugly.

I was wondering if it is ok to run outside right after a drizzle and just wipe the car off with bounty towels or something? I just did it right now and it looks very clean. Used like 20 pieces of the bounty stuff and they were all black after I was done. Is that ok for the paint? My car was waxed 5 days ago and the car itself is 3 weeks old. If that doesn't damage anything I am just going to do that and do a proper wash once 1-1.5 weeks.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Bounty? Like the paper towels?

If so, those are probably not the best and can introduce swirl marks. A microfiber with quick detail spray is maybe a better option.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by mthowell
Bounty? Like the paper towels?

If so, those are probably not the best and can introduce swirl marks. A microfiber with quick detail spray is maybe a better option.
Yes, bounty the paper towels.

I was thinking about mf towels but I would literally need like 20 of them every time...

Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Congrats, you just micromarred your finish all to hell.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No, once a car gets wet, the only way to properly clean it is a full wash. You should address the dust accumulation before it rains with a quick detailer

Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Congrats, you just micromarred your finish all to hell.
^^^ ++++1. Ouch dude, cleaning the G with bounty is like wiping your a$$ with sandpaper!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
No, once a car gets wet, the only way to properly clean it is a full wash. You should address the dust accumulation before it rains with a quick detailer
I don't necessarily agree, if you just have a light dusting on the car, and it rains, it doesn't hurt at all to dry it off, with a good towel of course, as long as it's still wet, but I have always done that with my cars, and I've had many cars over the years, and have done it a time or two with my current G, never had a problem. Now, if it's been a while since a wash, yes, I will agree with that for sure!

Never, never, never use a paper towel on your car finish, bad news for the paint, it is almost like sand paper! Also, never use a paper towel on your window tint, I see a lot of hazy tint jobs around, and I will bet that is due to using a paper towel!

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 05-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Buy the big blue waffle weave towel and be done with it. I can completely dry my car twice before I have to wring it off and overtime it is definately cheaper and safer than a bunch of bounty towels. After it drizzles just rinse your car off with a mild soap and towel it dry. Or at least use a quick detailer with it, but I would just minimize the possible scratches with a quick rinse.

Big Blue Towel

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Is this post a joke....papertowels?

Ok, his car is dusty and it drizzles just enough to make the car look awfull....
right? The only "Right" way to clean his car is by a full wash....hose and
lots of water! You start moving that dust around with any kind of towel
and you've created scratches/swirls (especially with OB or TB) you've just
given me a fliping nightmare....papertowels

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Ok, his car is dusty and it drizzles just enough to make the car look awfull....
right? The only "Right" way to clean his car is by a full wash....hose and
lots of water! You start moving that dust around with any kind of towel
and you've created scratches/swirls (especially with OB or TB) you've just
given me a fliping nightmare....papertowels
Yeah, that sums it up.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM
washing it by hand every 2 days is simply not an option, especially considering I don't even have access to a driveway 90% of the days and those automatic washers are supposedly worse than not washing at all

I suppose I will buy some proper towels. Although it doesn't make much sense to me, as those bounty paper towels are probably softer. I only did it once today and it is waxed so I thought that if it was something bad afterall the wax would probably take the hit this time and not my clear coat... Might just have to drive dirty 6/7 days of the week

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by One_Hertz
washing it by hand every 2 days is simply not an option, especially considering I don't even have access to a driveway 90% of the days and those automatic washers are supposedly worse than not washing at all

I suppose I will buy some proper towels. Although it doesn't make much sense to me, as those bounty paper towels are probably softer. I only did it once today and it is waxed so I thought that if it was something bad afterall the wax would probably take the hit this time and not my clear coat... Might just have to drive dirty 6/7 days of the week

Thanks everyone!
Did you just say that the bounty paper towels are probably softer than MF towels? Seriously, try one out for yourself...everyone who has posted on here isn't wrong.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 AM
you ever look into a no rinse car wash or a waterless car wash? this could be a easy solution to your problem and save water as well. just be sure to use quality microfiber towels.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by One_Hertz

Thanks everyone!
bro, people with experience are trying to give you advice (that YOU requested), perhaps you should listen... do NOT use papertowels and do NOT assume (wrongfully so) that pt are softer than microfiber...

i would suggest looking into ONR... you dont need access to a full driveway (i.e. hose) and if used with proper products (i.e. mf towels), it will leave your vehicle pristine, save you time, and keep your g away from God-awful swirls...

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Car cover

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wiping the dirt off?