Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wiping the dirt off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamcatchr
bro, people with experience are trying to give you advice (that YOU requested), perhaps you should listen... do NOT use papertowels and do NOT assume (wrongfully so) that pt are softer than microfiber...

i would suggest looking into ONR... you dont need access to a full driveway (i.e. hose) and if used with proper products (i.e. mf towels), it will leave your vehicle pristine, save you time, and keep your g away from God-awful swirls...
hey hey, I did follow the advice and got MF towels, it just didn't make sense to me

Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I don't necessarily agree, if you just have a light dusting on the car, and it rains, it doesn't hurt at all to dry it off, with a good towel of course, as long as it's still wet, but I have always done that with my cars, and I've had many cars over the years, and have done it a time or two with my current G, never had a problem. Now, if it's been a while since a wash, yes, I will agree with that for sure!
What in rain water has the lubricity necessary to prevent marring? At the very least a quick detailer should be used in combination with the drying, but I would never be caught dead taking a towel to a car that had been rained on and left dust rings on the car.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no worries, dude... i've learned a lot from reading these forums and i'm sure there is still a lot to be learned... anyway, good luck (and stay away from paper towels!!!)...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
buy a car cover and put it on before it drizzles.. or drive around dirty..

Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
What in rain water has the lubricity necessary to prevent marring? At the very least a quick detailer should be used in combination with the drying, but I would never be caught dead taking a towel to a car that had been rained on and left dust rings on the car.
+1, use some QD

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by One_Hertz
washing it by hand every 2 days is simply not an option, especially considering I don't even have access to a driveway 90% of the days and those automatic washers are supposedly worse than not washing at all

I suppose I will buy some proper towels. Although it doesn't make much sense to me, as those bounty paper towels are probably softer. I only did it once today and it is waxed so I thought that if it was something bad afterall the wax would probably take the hit this time and not my clear coat... Might just have to drive dirty 6/7 days of the week

Thanks everyone!
Bounty paper towels are made from trees - wood. They're not soft when it comes to paint. Hopefully that makes some sense to you.

Wash with a good sheepskin mitt. Detail with microfiber towels and quick detailer. You'll notice the difference immediately.

G/L

Old 05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The easiest and safest for a light dusting that's been rained on is to just spray it with a hose to rinse the loose dust off before it's dry. If it's still very wet but quite clean, use a leaf blower to blow the dust and water drops off and you may not even need to spray with a hose. This can save time between washes and works well for me.

A towel, whether MF or paper, will likely scratch the car unless perfectly clean.