Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Anyone clearbra after paint chips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone clearbra after paint chips?

I've had my coupe only 3 months now with about 2700 miles (mostly highway) and the hood has a bunch of small rock chips (as I'm sure most G's here do without a clearbra or leather bra).

Now I'm kicking myself for not doing the clearbra through the dealer (even though they jack the price) and never having to worry about all the paint chips that are present now.

My question that I'm throwing out ... has anyone done a clearbra after there was already some paint damage as in my case? If so what did you do: touch-up paint then clearbra, clearbra right over the chips, repaint then clearbra?

Also, has anyone with a stock front chin spoiler had a clearbra installed?

Thanks in advance!

-Jon______________________
'04 C 6M/T - Laser Red/Graphite, Nav, 4 Piece Aero, Premium

Old 04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone clearbra after paint chips?

i had my clear bra installed after more than 3700mi. had few chips, small ones though before the bra. i wish i had done it sooner. but the noticeable chips were fixed w/ touch up paint (2 on mine). make sure if you're going to put bra, paint it way ahead of time otherwise the paint will lift after some time. if there's a lot of really really small ones, dont even bother fixing it, it will create a bubble effect on the bra... the bra will actually hide the small ones!

Old 04-20-2004, 07:34 PM

If I got a clearbra within a week of ownership, you think I would get paintchips? I would probably drive a total of 200 miles max in that time frame. I guess it's a matter of luck.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:54 PM

We actually sell and install them, its alway best to get entire panel repainted, but usually not cost effecttive, next would have a good body shop use touch up paint/clear chip and then buff entire area. If you want to really be cheap you can use a permanent sharpie marker to hide the chips it they are not huge.

Painting time is not really an issue as long as you heat bake the area. I have a 1997 viper GTS, had front end and stripes repainted and 2 days later install the 3m clear bra. its been 8 months now wtih no problem with paint.+