Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Leather Dye Wipping off?!? Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Dye Wipping off?!? Black

So i decided to clean my seats (black) with the Meguiars Gold cleaner / conditioner in a bottle. I'm applying it to a MF cloth and working it into the seats. What i'm noticing is that my cloth is turning black. At first i thought it was just dirt but after cleaning the same spot 5 time is just keeps turning black. Is this normal. I don't see any fading on the seat but it's only been about an hour. How much pressure should i be using when cleaning the seats and other leather items in the car? Car's an 03 but is never really driven only 11k on it. Does sit in the sun alot though.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
same happend here.my infinity mt fugi stitching on the seats turned purple cause of the dye..I didn't knoticed it till i was done..all I do now is use leather cleaner for jackets and didn't get that problem anymore.plus smells way bomber than auto one's.some guy at a autobody shop does all his show cars with jacket cleaner..I did it it turned out good..my 2 cents..

Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM
For leather your suppose to use light pressure. With heavy pressure you can actually push the dirt into the grain of the leather. Also are you sure its black and not just a dirty dark brown.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 PM
How long has it been since you've cleaned ur seats? Is it pitch black or a light shade of gray on the towel. If you haven't cleaned ur seats in a while, you'll be surprised how much dirt will come out of it.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrooge
For leather your suppose to use light pressure. With heavy pressure you can actually push the dirt into the grain of the leather. Also are you sure its black and not just a dirty dark brown.

+1

It may be too much pressure or it may be just very dirty seats.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 PM
i haven't cleaned the seats since the winter, i was using heavy pressure which i'll avoid in the future. The color is that was on my towel wasn't 100% black as if it was dye but it didn't look like it was just dirt either. I'm going to be doing the whole car in the AM so i'll update on what happens.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Phranknstein
same happend here.my infinity mt fugi stitching on the seats turned purple cause of the dye..I didn't knoticed it till i was done..all I do now is use leather cleaner for jackets and didn't get that problem anymore.plus smells way bomber than auto one's.some guy at a autobody shop does all his show cars with jacket cleaner..I did it it turned out good..my 2 cents..
what particular jacket cleaner do you use???.......i need to clean my seats pretty soon

Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cleaning - before cleaning leather upholstery, vacuum it to remove dust and then clean and hydrate by using a clean, soft lint-free cloth or a medium soft brush dampened with lukewarm water and mild soap or a specifically designed leather cleaner (distilled water / LM Leather Soft Cleaner 10:1 ratio).
Use a gentle, circular motion – do not rub the leather or apply extreme pressure when cleaning. Then wipe the leather again with another clean, slightly damp cloth to remove soap residue.

I have tried many leather cleaners, but I still prefer Leather Master’s, its pH balanced; water-based formula gently cleans without drying leather upholstery. (Leather Soft or Leather Strong Effects) Leather Master Products are used as a ‘benchmark’ by other leather care product vendors.

All water-based cleaners will remove body oil or salts, dirt and grime and wash them from the leather surface. Do not use vinyl cleaners as these products tend to be much harsher and usually contain oils to maintain its flex ability, so they may not be that beneficial to the leather? Any cleaner should be rinsed thoroughly from the leather as any soap residue attracts dirt. Avoid silicone based products, as silicone has a very high electrostatic attraction

Any cleaner should be rinsed thoroughly from the leather as any soap residue attracts dirt is an essential part of caring for your leather upholstery; use a water-based cleaner to re-hydrate the leather use a pH balanced cleaner around 7.5 - 8.0 as a high pH cleaners may cause premature aging. It not only removes the dirt and oils (which can, over time, break down the leathers hide and the stitching, it can also damage the protective coating of covered leather) a water-based cleaner will also help to maintain the moisture balance in the leather. This is important for keeping the leather supple and makes it less likely to absorb spillages.

Don’t allow grit, dirt or dust to build up to excessive levels as this could have an abrasive affect. Combined with body weight and movement these cause abrasive friction against the leather and greatly increases wear.
Areas which are in contact with your skin and head, for example arms and backrests, car steering wheels etc. should be cleaned regularly, as perspiration breaks down the finish and pigment very quickly.

Foam cleaners- The advantage of foam or gel over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture they contain, very important for cleaning absorbent materials, the foam lifts and encapsulates the soil so that it can so it can be gently wiped away. Spray onto an applicator; do not spray directly onto the surface as it could cause spotting. Allowed to dwell these types of cleaners gently loosen surface dirt and grime, for heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

Spray Mist® and Full Function Sprayers;sprayer comes with a nozzle that will adjust the flow to mist, jet, fan, or foamer – US Plastics Spray Mist® and Full Function Sprayers - US Plastic Corporation http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=28143

Foaming Trigger Sprayer for 24 Ounces and 32 Ounces Bottle Grainger -http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3U603

See article "Basic Automotive Leather Care" DetailingWiki - http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care