Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Good store bought wash mit???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good store bought wash mit???

Hey i was looking to wash my girlfriends new lexus this weekend....the car has 300 miles on it... so yea just looking for a good wash mit that i can buy locally.... wal mart, pepboys, advance autozone ect... or how about harley davidson dealers, i heard they have some good products....... oh and this will also double as my wash mit for the G

anthony

Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM
get a real sheepskin/lambswool wash mitt. you can find them locally. remember when washing the car to not push onto the surface but just drag the mitt across the surface. also only make 1-2 passes over any given area on the car.

also look into picking up some grit guards for your buckets. at the very least use the two bucket method. you will see why after you completed the wash and you pour out the rinse bucket.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^+1 for the 100% sheepskin mitt along with using the two bucket system with gritguard. Also pick up some good MF dehydrating waffle towels for drying. The vast majority of paint imperfections will be incurred with poor washing/drying habits so I'd highly recommend using the right equipment along with practicing proper washing/drying habits.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Sometimes you can find the eurow sheepskin wash mits at Walmart.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by gmblack3
Sometimes you can find the eurow sheepskin wash mits at Walmart.
+1 but they don't last long. So buy alot.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
thanks for the replies guys... i tried walmart 2day but all they had was some australian shepskin thing and it felt really cheap...so ima try a few other stores in the morning.... see what i can find.....

Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Scrooge
+1 but they don't last long. So buy alot.
yeah if you don't take care of them they last 2 washes lol. i learned this the hard way now i use the micro chenille mitts

Old 07-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Go to Lowes and pickup a Proline grout sponge. They are sold on the cleaning supply aisle by the mops, brooms, cleaning solutions, etc and come packaged in their own seperate plastic bags for about $2. They look like this - http://www.autopia.org/forum/attachm...nge-sponge.jpg

You can also check out the Lowes web site and enter item # 109653 and then your zip code to see if it is available in your area.

Use short strokes when washing and be sure to rinse it often in a separate rinse bucket as you should with any wash media.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^+1 for the 100% sheepskin mitt along with using the two bucket system with gritguard. Also pick up some good MF dehydrating waffle towels for drying. The vast majority of paint imperfections will be incurred with poor washing/drying habits so I'd highly recommend using the right equipment along with practicing proper washing/drying habits.

Quick question, what do you mean by waffle towels, are they microfiber towels? If so, where can you get them? Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by 2K4G35c
Quick question, what do you mean by waffle towels, are they microfiber towels? If so, where can you get them? Thanks.
They are microfiber towels but they have a pattern of "pockets" to hold absorbed water. They are great drying tools especially if you sheet the water off of the surface before you towel dry it.

Here are two of the towels that I own currently. Both of them are great.
Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel
Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel

Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by twitch
They are microfiber towels but they have a pattern of "pockets" to hold absorbed water. They are great drying tools especially if you sheet the water off of the surface before you towel dry it.

Here are two of the towels that I own currently. Both of them are great.
Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel
Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel

Thanks for answer and link. Gonna order the towels, a blade and a wool mitt.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twitch
Go to Lowes and pickup a Proline grout sponge. They are sold on the cleaning supply aisle by the mops, brooms, cleaning solutions, etc and come packaged in their own seperate plastic bags for about $2. They look like this - http://www.autopia.org/forum/attachm...nge-sponge.jpg

You can also check out the Lowes web site and enter item # 109653 and then your zip code to see if it is available in your area.

Use short strokes when washing and be sure to rinse it often in a separate rinse bucket as you should with any wash media.

i dont think i would clean my rims or exhuast tips with that sponge.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using a grout sponge for years with no problems. I use the two bucket system have not encounter any issues. I will use the same sponge on my rims at the very end of the wash. Once the wash is over I clean the sponge serveral times and then leave it in a bucket of water for the last of the grit can fall out.

I just had my chrome 18" 7 spoke coupes placed on and now I will purchase a different sponge just to do these chromes.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by 2K4G35c
Thanks for answer and link. Gonna order the towels, a blade and a wool mitt.
You're welcome.

When you say "blade" are you referring to water blades for drying? If so I'd suggest against it due to the nature of the tool. It scrapes the water from the surface and if any small particle gets lodged between the blade and the surface you'll end up with a scratch. The MF waffle weave towels are plenty capable of drying our cars by themselves.

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
i dont think i would clean my rims or exhuast tips with that sponge.
Perhaps then you are uninformed. There are plenty of detailing enthusiasts and professional detailers that swear by using certain (brands) of grout sponges. You might want to research it a bit before you slam it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Also, why don’t you input some useful information to this thread? Please tell us what you would suggest the OP use.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the poor boys mega plush wash mitt. Sorry for jumping to conclusions i guess i am misinformed. What are the benfits of that sponge over lets say the one im using? Thanks again, sorry for coming off the wrong way didnt want to seem like that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good store bought wash mit???