Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

please help! cant get water spots off!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help! cant get water spots off!

hey guys, i just bought my black on black g35 sedan last week. it was sitting out of my parents place when the sprinklers came on. It wasnt until this week i noticed it this week. To make matters worse, i parked my car outside yesterday and the sprinklers came on again and sprayed my car. I searched and searched what should i do.
I first used the turtle wax ICE liquid polish. It helped but it didnt get it off. i also used teh ICE detailer, it helped too but still not completely.

I tried to use vinegar, but it didnt remove it completely. should i use claybar next?

I called a place that will do acid bath, claybar, polish, and wax for about 200. should i do it?

also, after those steps, would waiting still hurt my car?>

Also, doesnt cars get sprayed by sprinklers everyday? i doubt everyone claybars, polish and wax their cars everytime. my friend thinks that my car was delivered unwaxed, so i guess it makes sense that it only affects my car. waht do you guys think?

Last edited by g35nerd; 07-22-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Meguiars ScratchX worked for me. I had the exact same problem about a month ago.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
o i can try that, do i need to wax it afterwards?

or do i need to use the sratch x then polish then wax?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM
I used a claybar, then the ScratchX, then wax.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
thx for the advice, should i try to do it today or wait for the weekend?

its parked in the garage right now.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Its up to you man. I wouldnt wait too long, you dont want the water spots to get baked on!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM
since i have no experience with claybar and polish, plus i dont even have a way to wash my car my self, i think im just gonna take it to the detailer. $205 for acid bath( vinegar) claybar, polish, and two layers of wax on my brand new car!!!!! damn....

are all water spots this dangerous? i just parked my car in company parking spot. over 40 cars are sprayed every day. i cant imagine everyone gets a detail every week. So why is my car so damaged already? is there a possibility that it does not have a layer of wax?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 PM
i had the same problem. i know your pain.

my recommendation is to begin with what slcg35 said. clay bar, scratchx, then wax. this is the most conservative route. try this, and if it doesn't work, then you have to go with a polish. since you have no experience, go with a detailer like you planned.

in my case, the sun baked the water spots deep into the clear coat. i used a heavy compound polish with a porter cable, but nothing, water spots remained. i ended up taking my car to a detailer that had to wet-sand the problem areas in order to get the water spots out. you do NOT want to wet-sand if you can avoid it.

but take care of this problem ASAP, b/c the longer you leave the water spots there...the deeper the sun will bake them in.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
when you use scratch x put a little "passion" behind the pad.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
thanks again guys, im just gonna take it to a shop tomorrow morning. its been sitting in shade all day. hopefully its gonna come off.

but how do i know it wont happen again? just everything my car gets sprayed, i have to detail it everytime????

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I feel you man. Water spots is a tough lesson to learn. I had a big piece of bird **** on my hood. It was late at night when I finally got home and was able to rinse it off. I didnt wipe it down since I was going to wash my car the next day. BIG MISTAKE!!! I woke up the next day to find half of my hood covered in nickel to quarter sized water spots. Here's what I did:

I washed the car with Meguir's carwash. Rinsed. Then I used distilled vinegar on the affected areas. You have to go over the affected area the same way you would when you wash your car. I actually went over it a couple times. Then, I rinsed the car again. Applied ScratchX. At this point all the water spots were gone, but I just decided to wax the rest of the car with Meguir's NXT.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Just make sure you tell them that you specifically want to get rid of the water spots. Otherwise, depending on the shop, they might do all that work, charge $200+, then give it back to you saying that it needs polishing to get the spots off and for another $200+ they can do it for you. If you tell them first, they will know not to apply LSP before calling you about other options if the spots don't come off with clay.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 AM
heres what I do whenever I get water marks, bird poo, whatevers on my car:

buy Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe and buy a small spray bottle. Keep the Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe, and a Microfiber towel in your car. Whenever you see water marks, bird poo, sap, or any other junk on your car, spray...and wipe with your towel. I recommend the ultraplush microfiber towel from detailedimage.com.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have this cheapo car buffer thing that I bought for 30 bucks.. I buffed the car with Meguiars Scratch X. When I wiped it all off with a microfiber cloth all the places where I had dried water marks finally came off!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 AM
When you use vinegar, you should soak a towel in it and lay it over the appropriate area and leave it there for 10-15 minutes to allow the vinegar to work it in.

If that doesn't work, it will need to polished out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: please help! cant get water spots off!