Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?

Ok, I bought my 2006 G35x Sedan used with 24K on the speedo May 1, 2008. I now have 30k+ miles. Today, I take it to the car wash and start spraying the hood with pre-soak and I noticed the paint started to peel back in a small section right next to the passenger side headlight (about the sice of a quarter-- maybe slightly larger). I stopped spraying there and washedthe rest ofthe car with no issues.

Has anyone had this problem? I have owned a Nissan 1987 Hardbody Pickup (silver), 2000 Chevy Silverado pickup (still have this one-- it's custom-- indigo blue), 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora (red), 2005 Toyota Camry (silver), 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport (black)... and I have never experienced stock paint peeling back before. Couldn't have caught a nick either... there are nicks in the bumper and other areas and they did not cause the paint to peel at all.

I need some advice for I am new to the Infiniti brand. I live in Nashville, Tennessee.

Last edited by teufelhunde93; 09-14-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Hmmmm... the silence is deafening!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Pics would get you more attention on this thread. Did the car originate from a snow state that uses salt on the roads? Does the hood have a decent # of rock chips on it (which would mean that it has original paint to rull out a bad repair paint job).

Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Was the damage caused by the low pressure pre-soak or the high pressure from the rinse wand. You have to be careful when using a high pressure wand or pressure washer on your paint.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Sorry to break the news to you but it sounds like the car doesnt have factory paint.

I bet it was in an accident and a crappy body didnt do proper prep work before painting.

Stock paint would not peel from a pressure wash man....

Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Unhappy

Low pressure soak is what I used. I am dropping it off with the dealer on Wednesday. The paint really just kind of flaked off and the primer is showing. The area I sprayed had no chips from rocks, however other areas have chips and this did not happen with presoak or high pressure rinse.

I did research on the car prior to purchase and there were no accidents on the vin # research, which I realize doesn't mean that it didn't have minor damage before.

Developing....

Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Cheap primer will do this. Ever see those GM cars from the early - mid 90's with their paint coming off in sheets? I'd tend to agree that it may be some repainting.

(Hey, I'm in Nashville too!)

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I dropped my car off at the Infiniti dealer located in Franklin, TN. I talked to the service manager named Randy. He inspected the car and noticed there was overspray on the rubber located on the edge right under the hood. So, maxspeed96ct called it-- non-stock paint. I purchased this car from CarMax in Rivergate and it was shipped to the dealer. It is unfortunate that I am just now finding this out for I would have never purchased the car.

AS-IS protects the dealer to a point, but not when they lie. Problem is proving the lie. Now days people get around repair work reports by paying cash or having friends fix their cars, etc. I am not sure what action I am going to take at the moment. However, here are the pics proving the point.

Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?-img_0667.jpg   2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?-img_0669.jpg   2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?-img_0666.jpg   2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?-img_0665.jpg   2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?-img_0668.jpg  

Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Here is another point of view that I just thought of...

If the Infiniti service manager recognized a non-stock paint job in, literally, a matter of minutes, then when CarMax did their inspection of the car they should have noticed it, too.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
That really sucks man...

I have a friend who bought a Jeep at one of the CarMax's in town. After he signed the paperwork he found out the odometer was rolled back as part of the 'prep for sale'. He was able to get out of the deal, but that place is shady.

I've been told Whalen's body shop off of Charlotte Pike is a decent place if you get it repainted.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep! I looked on their site and they stand by their 125 point inspection that... you guessed it... also includes paint!

Infiniti recommended I take it to Bradshaw's in Madison. I had my Nissan Hardbody painted at Bradshaw's in early 1993 and it was excellent. The truck died before the paint did in 2001.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
UPDATE!!!

Took the car to Bradshaw's Collision and they are fixing the paint on the hood... however they noticed that under the mirror the paint is beginning to peel too.... so this car has had more than JUST the hood repainted!

At this point I decided to contact an attorney for legal advice.... that is if I requested the car have stock paint with no scratches, only to find out a few months later the car has been repainted in areas-- do I have legal recourse. I have been advised that, yes, I do.

Here is the attorney's answer:

Certainly, you can get an estimate from a local body shop and have them also give you a statement as to what went wrong with the last paint job and/or why it failed.

Use that statement from the bodyshop to approach CarMax and demand that they do one of two things:

1) take the car back due to fraud - you might have to give them something for the use of the vehicle during the period it was in your possession: or

2) pay for the repair.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Sweet, hopefully that works out for ya... Now, can you get it painted any color you choose, if they do agree to pay for a new paint job?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
i'd check something else too. look at the decals on the inside of each body panel. if i recall correctly, they should all have stickers with the proper VIN number on them. if you have different VINs or missing stickers, you know that the car has had panel replaced. this is the first thing that car dealers look for when appraising a used car. carmax would have certianly done the same.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Angry

Ran a Carfax report today and it says the car had some damage on the left side. Well, autocheck failed me when I was buying this car from the very beginning because it never said anything about the damage, yet Carfax does.

Hmmmm... developing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 G35 Sedan paint Defect?