Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Benefits of smaller pads on a Porter Cable 7424 and Rotary Buffers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Benefits of smaller pads on a Porter Cable 7424 and Rotary Buffers

While the Porter Cable 7424 is very paint safe, sometimes it's TOO safe and simply doesn't have enough power to get the results you are looking for. An easy way to increase the bite and effectiveness to your PC 7424 is to invest in a smaller set of pads.

Smaller pads allows you to generate more heat and friction with the PC, which breaks polishes down more effectively and efficiently. This happens due to the fact your generating the same amount of energy in a more concentrated, smaller area. The random orbiting motion of the PC generates the most power in the center of the pad, since the pad revisits that section more frequently than any other part of the pad. The area of a 6.5" pad is ~33 inches squared compared to the area of a 4" pad is ~12.5 inches squared. This means that the area of the smaller 4" pads is less than half of a 6.5" pad. This provides you with additional cutting power that you normally wouldn't get out of larger pads, which leads to deeper imperfections being removed.

The opposite is true with rotary buffers. When you go with a smaller pad, the speed of the outer edge of the pad is slower than a larger pad. This helps reduce the amount of heat and friction generated, which makes polishing tighter areas much safer. Since you are generating less heat than larger pads, it's easier to finish the paint down hologram free.

With both a random orbital buffer or a rotary buffer, you gain increased control and maneuverability with smaller pads. You'll be able to get closer to trim, emblems, lights, and other hard to reach areas.

We put together a couple starter packages at some great prices so you can experience the benefits of having some smaller pads in your detailing arsenal.

The Porter Cable 7424 4" Pad Kit includes:
1x 4" Backing Plate for Porter Cable 7424 - $12.99
1x 4" Purple Foamed Wool Pad - $5.99
1x 4" Yellow Cutting Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Orange Light Cutting Pad - $4.99
1x 4" White Polishing Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Black Finishing Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Blue Fine Finishing Pad - $4.99
Regular Price - $44.93
Package Price - $34.99

Rotary Buffer 4" Pad Kit
1x 4" Backing Plate for Rotary Buffers - $14.99
1x 4" Purple Foamed Wool Pad - $5.99
1x 4" Yellow Cutting Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Orange Light Cutting Pad - $4.99
1x 4" White Polishing Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Black Finishing Pad - $4.99
1x 4" Blue Fine Finishing Pad - $4.99
Regular Price - $46.93
Package Price - $34.99

If anyone has any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 09-17-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I strongly agree that the 4" pads greatly increase the ability of the PC. It is a night and day difference and I highly recommend switching to the smaller pads. I don't even use the larger pads anymore.

I do have a question for Detailed Image - Can the 4" PFW be used with that 4" backing plate? I was told it couldn't and purchased a smaller backing plate that lasted oh... 1/4 of a detail before it fell apart.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Cassman
I do have a question for Detailed Image - Can the 4" PFW be used with that 4" backing plate? I was told it couldn't and purchased a smaller backing plate that lasted oh... 1/4 of a detail before it fell apart.
I haven't tested the 4" PFW on a PC yet. What part fell apart on you? The PFW backing? wool? or the backing plate?

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a smaller backing plate, I'd think you'd want pressure distributed evenly across the pad as much as possible. I'll have to give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

George

Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey George,

How long is this promotion going on for?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Yv12345vY
Hey George,

How long is this promotion going on for?
These are part of our standard packages, I don't plan on changing the prices.
I will be adding some advanced kits with more pads in the future as well.

George

Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to tweak the big detail packages!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love 4" pads, I've been using them for my past few details, and they cut way better than the old 6" pads which bogged like no other. I exclusively use 4" and 5" CCS pads now

Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I have not used the smaller pads to detail yet, but to me it seems that the smaller pads would be awesome for spot polishing. But if you were going to detail the entire car wouldnt it take twice as long b/c you are losing surface area with the smaller pad compared to the 6"?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by SpecC
time to tweak the big detail packages!
Yes, those changes will be coming as well.

Originally Posted by redlude97
I love 4" pads, I've been using them for my past few details, and they cut way better than the old 6" pads which bogged like no other. I exclusively use 4" and 5" CCS pads now
Glad to hear your enjoying your results with the smaller pads.

Originally Posted by InLU
I have not used the smaller pads to detail yet, but to me it seems that the smaller pads would be awesome for spot polishing. But if you were going to detail the entire car wouldnt it take twice as long b/c you are losing surface area with the smaller pad compared to the 6"?
Spot polishing is one of the reasons detailers use smaller pads. Perfect for removing a small scratch, scuff, etc. I don't think the time difference would be as large as you think from using a 4" compared to 6" because your breaking the polishes down faster and more efficiently, so you can move the buffer a little faster or not make as many passes. Maybe redlude can shed some light on the time differences he experienced.

George

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by InLU
It still actually takes LESS time. They work much more efficiently, i.e., one or two applications per area rather than 2-3 applications. They also shorten the amount of time per application. I would say that the smaller pads reduce the time spent by at least 20-25%. They are awesome for spot polishing as well.

George,

I was referring to this backing plate that fell apart: http://www.autogeek.net/2vebapl.html. The padded/velcro area separated from the stem/base area. The glue failed. That being said, I tend to agree that the larger plate would provide a more even pressure. I would just be concerned about damaging the paint with the edge of the plate, given the fact that the PFW pads, due to their construction, are not as cushiony as the foam pads.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Honestly, would you suggest buying a PC or Flex? I am on the fence.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree that it takes less time overall to polish an area of the same size because the polish breaks down much quicker. One thing though is that you will need more 4" pads as they tend to gunk up quicker. Usually I'll need 3-4 per car when detailing, or you can just wash them, but I prefer to just have extra pads on hand, they are pretty cheap anyways.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Honestly, would you suggest buying a PC or Flex? I am on the fence.
Flex, if I didn't have a PC already, I would have purchased the flex

Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated!!

I just received my Flex from George today. I havent used it yet but im already liking it better than the PC. It vibrates much less and is quieter. The only downside i can see so far on the Flex is that it is a bit bigger in size, but im sure ill get used to it

Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thank you for this information.

I've been using Adam's Polishes pads (I believe they're 7.5).

I will have to look into getting these. Do you need to adjust your PC speed? I usually use Menzerna products.

Thanks,

SC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benefits of smaller pads on a Porter Cable 7424 and Rotary Buffers