Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Which sealant lasts the longest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTick
Ok...spent hours and hours at autopia and autogeeks forums and finally went with the Collinite 476 paste wax. It is a bit more work to remove, but after reading tons of posts about it's incredible durability and water beading, I figured it would be worth it.

Applied it with a 4" blue pad which fits perfectly into the tin. Applied a very thin layer with a PC and did the whole car in a few minutes. Let it dry for a few more minutes and it took about 15 minutes to remove. Not nearly as easy as FMJ, but wasn't bad at all. One week later I washed the car and WOW...people weren't kidding when they said it beads like no other. I have never seen water bead like this.

I'll report more about durability later.
Get the small sample of DoDo supernatural you'll only move up from there

Old 12-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Braintree
Consumer reports has several reviews and concluded in 2006 that Black Magic Wet Shine, Nu-Finish and Turtle Wax T-6 were the most durable waxes. They were heavily criticized in several car forums. I've used Collinate 845 (more of a sealant than wax) for several years and it will survive 9-12 months and thru the snowy and road salted winters of PA. I used it on a 1971 VW, 1992 Black Volvo and on on a G35 annually and the water beaded even after a year- Zaino, Zymol, and the most expensive waxes faired <2 months in the winter before the bead left. This is a balancing act as durability doesn't always translate into depth of color, gloss and that liquid look.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Originally Posted by superchargedg
I could care less what those people at consumer reports say and would never use anything that is in your post except the 845 wax.

You must have been asleep in high school when they covered Dale Carnegie's HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE book. Not too late, you can buy it at Half.com for about $1.95 plus shipping!

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Ok...spent hours and hours at autopia and autogeeks forums and finally went with the Collinite 476 paste wax. It is a bit more work to remove, but after reading tons of posts about it's incredible durability and water beading, I figured it would be worth it.........
Good work Tick--- their paste is excellent and I understand it may bead up and last a bit longer then the 845. What I decided to do was to polish the entire car (geez that takes awhile) to get all the micro-scratches and marring, then applied 2-3 coats of 3M Imperial Glaze by hand (even more work and I was tired by then) to give it that mirror-like, liquid glass look. Waited about 3 hours then applied Colinate 845 to seal the glaze in. The car was garaged the entire time. Re-applied another coat of Colinate 845 in the morning and let it set for about 30 minutes. The finish is extremely deep and mirrorlike. I'll apply 2 more coats of Colinate before they start pouring the excess salt on the roads. On black, the finish is stunning, deep, liquid appearing and intense!! And the paint is protected for the next 3-4 months by the Cilonate.

Ever wonder what those guys at car shows use to keep their cars so "rich" looking-- it's 3m Imperial Glaze. The problem is that the glaze evaporates within days.... so you seal it immediately with an excellent, long lasting wax (unfortunately, the most expensive waxes, such as MeGuires, Mothers, Zymol and Zaino, etc., tend to be to the least effective for longer term sealing and protection) and this is where the Colinate comes in.

Last edited by Braintree; 12-07-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Klasse with PS21 on top. Klasse is difficult to remove though

Old 12-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the 476 instead of the 845 because I found a couple threads where people were told directly by collinite that their 476 paste lasts longer than the 845 liquid . How much longer, I don't know.

Collonite seemed to be the #1 choice for people winterizing their car. Lots of posts about this stuff being impossible to remove wash after wash. I'll keep you guys posted on my personal results.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I wanted to show my neighbor the crazy beading and grabbed a water bottle and started spraying the hood. I soon started smelling a strong paint thinner smell and realized I grabbed my mineral spirits bottle and not the water bottle. I immediately wiped it off and assumed that the cleaner would have taken the collinite right off. I then sprayed the same area with water and it still beaded like nothing ever happened. Very impressive!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I wanted to show my neighbor the crazy beading and grabbed a water bottle and started spraying the hood. I soon started smelling a strong paint thinner smell and realized I grabbed my mineral spirits bottle and not the water bottle. I immediately wiped it off and assumed that the cleaner would have taken the collinite right off. I then sprayed the same area with water and it still beaded like nothing ever happened. Very impressive!
When I was younger, I saw a Coke bottle 3/4 full of what I thought was Coke. I quickly swiped it and took a big swig--- O ****.... it was used motor oil!!!! Thank God you didn't take a drink.

So it looks like the Colinate is very effective. I'd be curious if the more expensive waxes (Zymol, Zaino, MCGuire's Mother's, etc.) could handle this demonstration. Great story by the way

Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I did notice that the area that was sprayed with mineral spirits was less slick than the rest of the car, but it still beaded water like crazy. I'll report back after a few more car washes and see how it's holding up.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I think I'd experiment with something else (liposuction, ***** enlargement, a new brain, etc.) and just put another coat of Colinate on. The Clearcoat may be all that's left protecting your paint.... no sense in chancing it over the winter.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Update...

I think it's been about 4 weeks. 3 car washes and 2 rainy days. This pic really doesn't do it justice. There are GIANT to m&m size beads all over the top of the car. I've never seen anything like it.

Attached Thumbnails Which sealant lasts the longest?-beading.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Update...

I think it's been about 4 weeks. 3 car washes and 2 rainy days. This pic really doesn't do it justice. There are GIANT to m&m size beads all over the top of the car. I've never seen anything like it.
Sorry I haven't read this entire thread, just the last page. So sorry if I'm repeating something that's already been covered.

Beading itself is not indicative of protection. Nor is the size of the bead (even giant M&M sized beads).

Bare paint, with nothing on it, will bead water just as good as the best wax/sealant out there. Beading is caused by cleanliness and uniformity of the surface.

Therefore if you are seeing many different size beads, or beading change from one area of the car to the next, it means your wax is starting to wear off.

Beading stops because 1) Water is absorbed into dirt, grime, or other contaminants on the paint. 2) The uneven wear of a wax/sealant creates an uneven surface on the car and prevents water beading. In other words, the surface is not flat and smooth because some places have wax, and others don't.

Tick - Are the beads of water all the same size throughout your car? And do the 'roll off' easily when you start driving?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info Ghaleon. The beads are pretty uniform, but they constantly connect to each other making larger beads. They definately roll off the car even when sitting still. The tiny beads join to make larger beads and then slowly start to roll.

I've always kept my cars pretty clean and never seen beading like this, but what you say also makes sense. The paint also feels very slick to the touch.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info Ghaleon. The beads are pretty uniform, but they constantly connect to each other making larger beads. They definately roll off the car even when sitting still. The tiny beads join to make larger beads and then slowly start to roll.

I've always kept my cars pretty clean and never seen beading like this, but what you say also makes sense. The paint also feels very slick to the touch.
The slickness and the ability of the beads to roll off the car easily are all signs that your wax is in good shape. Take special note of these properties now and pay attention to them over time. Once the properties like slickness, bead uniformity, or roll-off begin to degrade, or seem to be less than they were when you first waxed, then it is time to wax again.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Braintree
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Braintree
Consumer reports has several reviews and concluded in 2006 that Black Magic Wet Shine, Nu-Finish and Turtle Wax T-6 were the most durable waxes. They were heavily criticized in several car forums. I've used Collinate 845 (more of a sealant than wax) for several years and it will survive 9-12 months and thru the snowy and road salted winters of PA. I used it on a 1971 VW, 1992 Black Volvo and on on a G35 annually and the water beaded even after a year- Zaino, Zymol, and the most expensive waxes faired <2 months in the winter before the bead left. This is a balancing act as durability doesn't always translate into depth of color, gloss and that liquid look.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

You must have been asleep in high school when they covered Dale Carnegie's HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE book. Not too late, you can buy it at Half.com for about $1.95 plus shipping!

I read that book in Russian, good information. Treat others how they want to be treated not how you want to be treated

Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Week 5...

I drive about 100 highway miles a day and it's been raining the last couple days. Car got really dirty and needed a good rub down with bucket full of sudsy turtle wax wash. I would say that it's lost about 30% of it's slickness, but still beads like crazy.

This pic is after wash #4.

Attached Thumbnails Which sealant lasts the longest?-beading2.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which sealant lasts the longest?