Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Washing Your Car in the Winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
So basically, if your car gets dirty (which it will quickly) you cant use ONR. Or you wash it every day?

Just give the car a good buff in the spring and use a car wash lol....
I think that that is a ridiculous statement. It is a car wash, not a quick detailer. I have used it for my black coupe in the middle of winter when it has been salt and dirt encrusted and I've used it without marring - even in my garage which is not heated when it was 17 degrees outside. It is simple. When it is salt/dirt encrusted, use a spray bottle with onr/water mixed at quick detailer percentage and give the car a quick spray down. This will loosen the stuck on stuff. Then just wash the car as instructed with the two bucket method.

I'll assume you were referring to a touchless car wash. If so, you can get the car much cleaner with ONR. If you are talking about a touch wash, then I feel sorry for your paint. Actually, I feel sorry for you, trying to remove all the marring in your paint every spring.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Touch washes suck. Eat your paint.

Its a lease. I dont have time nor the energy to wash it in my garage... hate to say it, but oh well.

Now if it was my 05.... f it, i'll take it to a DIY wash with a bucket and some soap.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a great touch-less car wash by me, get the works package for all of $9. I use that 2-3 times/month and suits me fine. But ONR does work very well, but still tough if you have no garage to shelter you from the weather.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
x2 on the DIY car wash's

the touchless ones suck and ruin the paint on your car.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
next to my office they have an Auto Spa www.autospamd.com where they hand wash cars. always see some very expensive cars there so I decided to try it out first on my Black 03 Passat wagon. for $12 they did a really good job. the car goes through on a giant conveyor belt. first they rinse the car off with a high pressure wash, then the car is covered with wash soap, then about six guys with wash mops attack the car and rinse the mops in circulating water troughs to keep them clean. the car then goes through a series of rinses depending on the options you choose with your wash. basic wash is $12. nothing else touches the car as eveything is dispensed though high/low pressure archways the car goes through. the car is then blown dry by two sets of huge blow dryers. the car is then sent back through another set of conveyors where it is vacuumed, windows cleaned, tires dressed all depending on the wash options you choose. they hand towel dry all door jambs and touch up any wet spots. my Passat came out looking good. all I had to do was some more detailed drying. will probably do the G once it gets real cold.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
That auto spa looks fantastic. I wish we had one here...

Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
yeah, it is a very nice, clean, comfortable facility. they have a membership club that is free and provides for free washes on your B-Day and after every 12th wash. think they do a really good job and take real good care of your car. it is the most gentle wash you will find next to doing it yourself.

usually I do not like anyone else working on my car, but it just gets too cold and I do not have a garage to work in. would not use them if the weather is nice enough to wash myself...unless I got really lazy, but it is perfect for winter. think if there was any marring to the finish, it would be minimal and easily corrected with a full detail in the spring. so far after a couple of washes on my G and Passat, have not noticed anything and been satisfied with the service.

the funny thing is that this use to be just a little old contractors warehouse where they did hand washing inside. the gentleman who use to own the company I work for now decided to invest some money into the facility and after $5M it is the facility you see today. being an employee for the company he previously owned, they give us a 20% discount as well and it is right across the street from my office. can even drop my car off in the morning and come pick it up later, but they get the job done pretty quickly so I do not see a need for that. it is a no brainer for me.