Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Should I have the Hood Polished/Buffed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I have the Hood Polished/Buffed?

I took my (Obsidian Black) G35 sedan to a body/detail shop to get a quote on a full detail job. He was explaining what compound would do to the chips on the hood and bumper. He explained that because compound only comes in one color (white) that it would cause the chips to become more visible against the black paint, even the chips I couldn't see now would be more visible. He said that if he polished/sealed/buffed the hood and bumper, he would recommend getting some black wax to tone down the paint chips when I wax it myself. Can you guys pass along your thoughts on this? Should I or shouldn't I get the hood and bumper detailed? I'm doing this to bring back the finish, remove swirl marks and remove several of the scratches in the finish. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
wtf??? that's definitely somebody who i wouldnt trust to do anything to my vehicle... a competent detailer can bring back the finish, and you could do it as well if you are willing to invest in some equipment (i.e. pc, pads, polishes, sealants)... do some research on autopia as it's a wealth of information... good luck...

Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, what's the big deal with doing a wipe down with alcohol solution after compound to get all extra compound out....?
Find somebody else

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
My last car was black...and 14 years old by the time I finally got rid of it...so it had its share of cracks and chips. I buffed the hood all the time, and wasn't ever a problem with polish being left over. Whatever the buffer didn't get rid of, a quick ONR wash after polish got rid of it all.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like an asshat.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
jeg, man, your detailer doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
definitely take it to someone else who knows that they are doing.
better yet, consider doing it yourself. not only is it safer that way (you know your own car), but you'll be even prouder of the finished product!
i find it very, very satisfying to see the results of and get comments from others about detailing my own car.
If you're interested in doing it yourself, you'll need a random orbital buffer like this one:
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...l-Buffer-P110/
as well as some buffer pads and polish. Which buffer pads and polish you should get depends on the condition of your paint. If you look at the reflection of the sun off of your car and see a lot of swirls, you'll probably need a combination like an orange pad and Menzerna's Super Intensive Polish. Not so bad? get a white pad and Menzerna's PO106FF polish.
^ Even with the orange & SIP combo and using that random orbital buffer, you have to try REALLY hard to mess up your paint.

Good luck with getting your paint clean!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:52 PM
repaint it

another option is...
repaint your hoold, and get 3M film on it to protect the 'rock chips' damage in the future.
that's my plan in the future XD

Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Yes, some compound residue will get in the chips, but a quick wash or some detail spray will git rid of it!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Exactly, compounding will get polish into the chips, but it is easily removed...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I haven't had the car detailed yet from this guy, I just went to get a quote. He basically said just be aware that the chips might stand out a bit more then they do now. I also asked him to quote painting the hood and front bumper for giggles, lets just say I'm ok with doing a detail/buff/polish for now.

Out of curiousity, any pros/cons to using a wax buff ball during a normal waxing? I read on another forum that you still have to remove the wax by hand, and then use the buff ball to finish the job. Thanks again guys!

I think in the end I'd love to do it myself. But time constraints, family, and my work/travel schedule really make it difficult to spend the time I'd like to on it. Also, I'd hate to screw it up. Like most of you guys out there, I am absolutely **** about the care, look, and image of my car.