Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Thoughts on the Porter Cable 7424.......I'm scared!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the Porter Cable 7424.......I'm scared!

Okay, okay, okay..... I know most of you here in this forum know about using and orbital buffer for making your car look great. I've read and read posts saying that the porter cable is easy to use and all, but I have to admit......I'm still hesitant to take the plundge I don't know really why. I've heard it's pretty idiot proof and I've seen alot of youTube videos with people using them, but i've never used anything like it before and I had some questions that may put my mind at ease if anyone is willing to answer them for me.

Here goes:

1) I don't have a way to wash my car in the shade. I live in florida and my black G coupe is a daily driver and not garage kept. It seems that every time I see someone using the PC, they have those extra lights as well. Do you have to have those extra lights and does using the porter cable in the sun damaging????? (I know.....this was two questions)

2) I've read where some people say use some pressure while using the PC, and others say use absolutely no pressure. What's the right answer and why?

3) Is the PC the best choice or is it the flex or cyclo????? Answer this as if money was not a factor. Which one is the most idiot proof and which one is only for vets?

4) If I got an orbital, how often should I use it. Once a week, month, every few months, etc.?

5) Not really dealing with the orbital, but what are the best products (soap, sealant, glaze, wax, etc.) for a daily driver black coupe to keep it looking good on the streets?

All your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
1) Polishes dry out fast in sunlight. Plus the paint get s too hot. Those quick set-up tents can be handy.

2)I put a black line on the backing plate. If that line stops moving, you are using too much pressure.

3) Flex if money is not an issue. Both the PC and Flex are pretty much idiot proof.

4)Don't know

5)Get a auto shampoo(CG citrus wash, megs gold class, DP auto bath). Good sealants are wolfgang deepgloss paint sealant, jetseal 109, optimum, zaino. There are a ton of waxes. For black pinnicle souveran, wolfgang fuzion, dodo blue velvet, P21S 100% and many others. Polishes like Menzerna(SIP,106FA and 85RD), Megs 105/205 are great

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Q; I don't have a way to wash my car in the shade. I live in florida and my black G coupe is a daily driver and not garage kept. It seems that every time I see someone using the PC, they have those extra lights as well. Do you have to have those extra lights and does using the porter cable in the sun damaging????? (I know.....this was two questions)

A; outside will be fine direct sunlight is not the best but if that is all you have. you dont need the light but they will show you every flaw.

Q; I've read where some people say use some pressure while using the PC, and others say use absolutely no pressure. What's the right answer and why?

A; its all up to you mid to light pressure is ok

Q Is the PC the best choice or is it the flex or cyclo????? Answer this as if money was not a factor. Which one is the most idiot proof and which one is only for vets?

A; pc is the best for the idiot. me i like a high speed buffer. But i would never let a noob use one on my car.

Q; If I got an orbital, how often should I use it. Once a week, month, every few months, etc.?

A; about 2 times a year before winter and before summer. you could also use it to take wax off every day if you wanted. the less you rub on your paint the longer it will last.

Q Not really dealing with the orbital, but what are the best products (soap, sealant, glaze, wax, etc.) for a daily driver black coupe to keep it looking good on the streets?

A;this is a whole new story.

http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...r-routine.html

pm george here he will tell you everything you need to get started and sell it to you as well

https://g35driver.com/forums/members...led-image.html

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I bought the pc and i like it. havnt gotten to try it on my car yet though.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
1) I don't have a way to wash my car in the shade. I live in florida and my black G coupe is a daily driver and not garage kept. It seems that every time I see someone using the PC, they have those extra lights as well. Do you have to have those extra lights and does using the porter cable in the sun damaging????? (I know.....this was two questions)
The extra lights help you pick up any remaining swirls or fine scratches that otherwise might elude the naked eye. I only polish and wax in the shade or during cool days where the paint never warms up whatsoever. Some products like Poorboys claim to be ok to use in direct sunlight, but I have never had a good experience in warm sunlight.

2) I've read where some people say use some pressure while using the PC, and others say use absolutely no pressure. What's the right answer and why?
I use light to medium pressure, basically just enough before the PC bogs down, you will hear the difference the motor makes once it bogs down. Basically 12-15 lbs of pressure.

3) Is the PC the best choice or is it the flex or cyclo????? Answer this as if money was not a factor. Which one is the most idiot proof and which one is only for vets?
I have been using my PC for years and have only had a very small handful of defects that I could not eventually correct with the right pad and polish combo. However, I am very impressed with the FLEX and it's quicker and more thorough corrections. Money no object, go with FLEX.

4) If I got an orbital, how often should I use it. Once a week, month, every few months, etc.?
I use it 2-3 times a year, depending on how much correction is needed before sealing and waxing. Once a year I use a two to three step polishing to get the paint near perfect and then follow up with a finishing polish and sealant for the rest of the year.

5) Not really dealing with the orbital, but what are the best products (soap, sealant, glaze, wax, etc.) for a daily driver black coupe to keep it looking good on the streets?
I have used a long long list of products and have settled on Menzerna, CG, Optimum and P21S as my preferred products. The ones I live by would be;

Three Step Polish:
Menzerna Power Gloss
Intensive Polish
Final Polish

If you can afford the larger sizes you can do a 2 step SIP and PO1066 combo.
Optimum has very inexpensive polishes, which I have not used, but everything I have used from them has been great.

Sealants:
Full Molecular Jacket
Jet Seal 109

I like how easy FMJ is to use, but Jet Seal lasts longer. I am getting ready to start using Opti Seal, but cannot vouch for it yet.

Waxes:
Checkout Autogeek for waxes, you can find S100 or Collinite's Sapphire or DoubleWax for VERY good and inexpensive waxes. If you want to spend a little more DI has Rubbish and P21S 100%, which are great waxes.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Theres a lot of good advice in this thread.

I just finished my G35 today with my PC7424.

I think the previous owner washed his car with a Brilo pad. Keep in mind, that while the PC7424 CAN get many imperfections out, it will take much longer than a Rotary buffer would using the same pad/polish.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 AM
k3n
ive been wondering the same things, thanks for starting this thread OP

Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Yeah the PC itself is harmless.

However, knowing what pad/polish/technique to use is a whole artform.

1) I don't have a way to wash my car in the shade. I live in florida and my black G coupe is a daily driver and not garage kept. It seems that every time I see someone using the PC, they have those extra lights as well. Do you have to have those extra lights and does using the porter cable in the sun damaging????? (I know.....this was two questions) The extra lights highlight the flaws and imperfections you're trying to polish out. As a rule of thumb, you want the least amount of aggression towards your paint.

This is entirely dependent on the products being used. Meguairs M80 requires about 15-20lbs of pressure for it to be effective. Prima Swirl, the product that I use, only requires the weight of the machine)

I would think the PC is a better choice for you, since you're not looking to do this commercially. The higher end stuff is good for volume - like if you're detailing as a business

As mentioned, most people do 1-2 times a year.

I've had great success with Prima Products - but theres tons of stuff out there, keep reading, and you'll find what works and what doesnt.

Last edited by Spec R; 02-27-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 AM
If you plan going with flex ... research the Flex xc 3401...

I've used it for about a year now, and its a lot easier on the hands then the Porta Cable... performance is better too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DY...srjXX58Fc6p3vg

Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
some good advice there, what you should do if your just starting out is buy a da polisher/porter cable/flex and get a scrap panel like a wing/fender and practice indoors, go to this site aswell, have a look at some of the detailing guides and the showroom, detailingworld.co.uk, very good site, warning when you get hooked dont blame me

Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay.Diem
If you plan going with flex ... research the Flex xc 3401...

I've used it for about a year now, and its a lot easier on the hands then the Porta Cable... performance is better too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DY...srjXX58Fc6p3vg
+1

There is a huuuge difference in vibration between the PC 7424 and the Flex XC 3401 VRG at higher speeds. The Flex has much less vibration.

The two negative things about the Flex IMO is that it is a bigger machine and you can really only use 6.5" pads. The PC you have some flexibility when it comes to pad sizes.