Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help!!! please with sprinkler GUNK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Help!!! please with sprinkler GUNK

Ok guys I read through some of the threads here about sprinkler water spots and paint etching etc. I dont think that this is what has happened to my car....

For about a month I noticed that my car was wet in the mornings when I was getting ready to take off to work. I didnt make much of it until I found out it was sprinklers which were being turned on in my community. They are still building the pool and they were turning it on for testing blah blah. They turned them off and they left a stain on my car which covered from the front frnder to the back bumper. The stain looks like when you mix water and oil like the blue oily stain on my car from top to bottom. It look like they poured this and it was just lines of them on my car lkike the water drips and trail permanently on my car with a blue ghost color. I was able to remove most of it with paint cleaner from Meguiars ( step 1 of the 3 step system ) . I waxed the car and they conitnued construction of the pool and were turning off the system. The car still has some of the stains when the sun hits it but you have to really be looking for them. It bothers the CRAP out of me and I just felt I could live with it.

Now they are turning the system back done since the pool is finally done! For 3 days already when I wake up in the morning I see the left side of my car full of water spots and I know this will end up happening again.... The sprinklers in my side..... lets just say I took care of them the old fashioned way and they wont bother. The question is how do I get the damage out! I dont have a PC or any experience with it. I dont have the money to pay someone, I need a fix that I can do with shelf products. Please advise guys with some good tips or solutions! Thanks in advance all!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Guys anyone!?!?!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you post me a pic of the water spot. the best thing i think you could do is us Meguiars compound to take it out. You dont need a buffer to do it they work by hand just take longer. A picture would be great and i could tell you more

Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds good. I will take a picture of it tomorrow. I have a noticeble stain in my driver side glass which is just as good as the one on the paint. I saw another car today with it. It is purple in color ( the stain ) and it is definitely from sprinkler well water.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to clay bar it....available at any auto parts store and wal mart.....usually a good place to start if the normal wash doesnt take it off and its easy to use..... and if it doesnt work u can always return the product specially if u got it from wal mart, they take anything back.....

Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive recently heard a small amount of vinegar on a towel will get rid of nasty water spots. Never tried it before, but if your desperate, maybe give it a shot?

~Good luck

Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Alright guys. I couldnt really get a good pic of the stain on the paint but i got a good shot of it on the glass. The same stain you see here on the glass is the same thing i have on the paint. It is blue/puerple in color and doesnt come off with claybar, I already tried. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Help!!! please with sprinkler GUNK-stain.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM
bump

Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
anyone?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Check the florida car club and see if anyone can let you borrow a porter cable polisher to remove that stain. If you lived near DC I would help you but Im sure there are people in Florida that can lend you a hand.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had water spots and tried almost everything I could think of. claybay work to some extent but couldn't get it all off. hand polishing with scratch-x, meguires 3 stage (cleaner, polish, wax), other various cleaner waxes too much work and sill left some behind. Even the vinegar wipedown. I finally broke down and got me a Flex DA polisher, with an orange pad and menzerna intensive polish it came off. I suggest you go straight for the machine polishing and save yourself some time and sweat.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM
So it sounds harder than i thought. I guess i cant do this by hand that sucks! Anyone local can give me a little tour on how to use a rotary buffer? I would really appreciate it guys. =)

Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok that is hard water stains you will need to buff it off with a rotary buffer but i like high speed buffer since that is what i started out with. I would start out with a cleaner compound first and if that did not take it out use a more aggressive compound. Sorry that they got you but you need to get a good detail now.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Water spots can act like little magnifying glasses on your paint once they dry, that coupled with the lime, calcium, and other mineral deposits that municipal water can leave can be a pain. I medium cutting polish like Intensive Polish or
SIP should do the trick. I would top if off with a sealant and then a wax to give you a little extra protection with more durability. Chemical Guys make their Water Spot Remover, I have yet to be disappointed by their stuff.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 AM
yep a PC or Flex with IP or SIP will definitely get it out....

for sealant...go with menzerna FMJ...that stuff is just magic!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!!! please with sprinkler GUNK