Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Returning Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash

I've heard only very good things about the Mr. Clean Auto Dry carwash & no spot dry system so I bought one and used it today to wash both cars. I was so unpleasantly surprised and frustrated that I am returning it Sunday to BJ's Wholesale Club or I will return it directly to Mr. Clean. I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences I did with this product...

1. I followed the directions to a t, and it left this horrible white film on my car; it wouldn't come off with a towel, so I had to rewax my entire hood and rewash other parts with normal carwash. Now, granted my G35 is black and you can see any spec of dirt or whatever is stuck to the car, but there certainly is no warning on the Mr. Clean Autodry carwash about using it with black cars...it should work the same for all colors. Since our FX35 is liquid copper, I didn't notice the white film as much, but it definitely didn't work as advertised on either car. BTW - according to the directions, it mentions this "residue" but it claims it would be due to 'missing spots' and 'not rinsing the soap completely.' I know I didn't miss any spots, I rinsed them off several times, and I sprayed both cars completely with the spot-free rinse (which didn't work in some areas either btw).
2. The Mr. Clean AutoDry soap is terrible...I kept having to add more and more, as it gets used up very quickly although it doesn't suds up hardly at all.
3. It ruined my sponges. I got so much dirt, road grime, and grease stuck on them that I've been forced to demote them to 'wheel sponges' and I have to buy new sponges for washing the cars.
4. It literally took me 3x as long to use this product and wash my cars. For a product that is supposed to save you time by providing a filtered water, spot-free rinse so it will dry without a towel or chamois, it worked completely against me...I could have been done in 1 hour; instead it took me 3 hours.

Has anyone else similar experiences with this product? Mine is going back and I'm getting a full refund. I guess there no ways to make washing your car any easier; I'll just go back to the old way which works (as long as I dry off the car quickly to avoid hard-water spots. ;-) Thanks.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 06-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Re: Returning Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash

I use it regularly on my black coupe and it works great. No residue. I just rinse as quickly as I can to not give the soap a chance to dry and then keep the car wet until I'm ready to use the filtered rinse. Doesn't take long, looks great.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Have used it twice and left the car clean, spotless/filmless both times. Saved me probably no more than 5 minutes (since you have to do the "de-ionizing" rinse instead of drying). How could it ruin your sponges, or was it all the "dirt road grime and grease" perhaps that ruined them?

Old 06-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might want to give this a try
<a href="http://properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html">big blue</A>
best drying thing i have ever used.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 06-26-2004, 10:32 PM

The more I started thinking about it, the more I thought that maybe I would give it another try (with the Mr. Clean AutoDry spot-free rinse), except next time, I will use my regular carwash soap instead of the Mr. Clean carwash soap. That way, if I don't rinse it off fast enough, I know the soap will not leave the same residue left by the Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash soap (although I could swear that I rinsed all of the soap off very well). Thanks for the replies...I thought my experience with this was very different than the others I've heard about....everyone swears by this new product.

I'll still have to buy new sponges (not a big deal anyhow...like $1/sponge ;-) - yes, the road grime and grease is so ground into the sponges, I'm afraid to use them on the cars now fearing they might cause swirl marks or scratches.

If I still don't the Mr. Clean AutoDry after trying it again that way, then I may go for that Big Blue II towel as redwillow suggested...that looks like a good investment ($35 for 2 big towels). Thanks again for the ideas.

btw - hey, just noticed I'm up to 'Journeyman' now on the Forum...this Web site has been great since I've had the new G35. I've learned a lot, added a few great mods, and enjoyed many discussions with all of you...looking forward to continuing in this very cool online community!!!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/26/04 07:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Head 'n Shoulders

I got the Mr. Clean autodry package about a week ago. I used it about 3 days ago and overall, I am not satisfied with it. I think the Mr. Clean soap is horrible. It left spots and this film stuff that I couldnt get off without washing the whole car again. So I washed it again with Mr. Clean soap (thinking I didnt rinse fast enough last wash) and rinsed quickly. Still a little film. It really pissed me off. After that attempt, I resorted to using my other car soap (dont know what its called). It gets the job done though. As for the iodized water that dries the car- it works great. You spray the car and about 5-10 minutes later, your car is virtually completely dry and shining. The thing that makes Mr. Clean autodry not worth it is you must replace the filter every three washes and the soap goes quickly, so you must replace that like every three washes as well. My cousin, who is a big car guru, recommended me this rubber stuff to dry your car. It is a big blue sheet of rubber that comes in a tub (I forget what its called). You place the rubber on your car after washing it and this thing absorbs the water leaving your car with no spots or film of any kind. I think it works great. Anyways, Mr. Clean is a rip off.

5AT Coupe, Black on Black, Chrome Wheel/Performance Package, Premium, Aero w/spoiler, Eibach springs, Clear corners.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:34 AM
WRAH

I have a black coupe, and it works fine! None of the problems you said.

In conclusion: the only thing different between you and I is that you have a sedan, not a coupe. That is were the problem lies! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Maybe your was defective? Used to much soap? The soap isn't that bad BTW. I use maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the reservoir a wash. It does coat your car with a thin layer of soap thats not foamy. I carefully move that around and wash off really well. Thats the hardest part! Then give it its spot free wash!

I give it another try, go back and trade you sedan for a coupe....uhhhh I mean, get a different machine and try it again.

Good luck!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray

<font color=purple> WRAH ~Scored with G35Girl!!!</font color=purple>
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 06-27-2004, 09:59 AM

WRAH - You're such a smarta-s with the G35 sedan vs. coupe thing ;-) ...and how many kids do you have?????

Anyhow, actually, after much deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that even if I use my own soap or get another Mr. Clean AutoDry carwash system, it still will take me as much time or longer to wash the car with this system (due to making sure all the soap is rinsed and using that no spot final rinse. Plus, I just looked at the Mr. Clean AutoDry filter after washing 2 cars yesterday, and it's brown (meaning it's done and I would have to buy another filter already)...this is a complete waste of money if the filter is only go for 2 wahes. I think I may return it and try those Big Blue II super absorbant towels.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 06-27-2004, 12:39 PM

Maybe one difference is where you wash your car. I wash mine in the shade instead of the sun, so the soap and water don't start drying as quickly.

As for the filter, the one that comes with the package only lasts 3 times, but I believe the refill lasts 10 times.

Old 06-27-2004, 02:10 PM

I've never had a film after using 3 different types of soap. I like it because I can put my lambskin glove on one hand (never use a sponge) and the Mr Clean in the other. No buckets or towels. I agree it isn't much of a time saver though. It takes just as long to towel as it does to spray the purified water.

I do one section at a time. Maybe that will help with the filming problem.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 PM

Yes, it's usually sunny here in S. Florida and my driveway is almost always in full sun exposure, so there's no way to wash it in the shade. I do, however, wax it in the garage.

I returned the Mr. Clean AutoDry system today and ordered the Big Blue II towels. After I wash and dry the car with one, I'll post up my impressions. Thanks, redwillow for the Big Blue II towel suggestion...I'll see how it works, but my neighbor said a friend of his has one for his black car and swears by it as well.

Saving time would be nice, but if I can't do that (however which way I wash and dry the car), I need to at least make sure I avoid hard-water spots and reduce swirl marks...hopefully this super-absorbant towel will help me dry it quickly before the sun does. Thanks again for all the replies.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/27/04 04:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-28-2004, 10:23 AM

To me it sounds like you didnt use the Mr Clean system correctly. After you soaped up the car did you use the filtered auto dry rinse? If so I can understand why you got the film. Afer you soup the car down and spounge it up you are supposed to use the full rinse, and THEN go over the rinsed section with the jet dry filtered rinse. The filtered rinse is used to rinse away the rinse water so that no water spots are left... it isnt intended to rinse the soup away, it doesnt supply enough water to do that (hense the film that you get). It also says to do it a section at a time, which should prevent the sun from being any problem. I have used my several times now and have never had a problem with it. Once you get used to it you can fly through a wash if you want, I always enjoy cleaning my car and typically take my time.

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with the product. hope you found a method that works good for you. best of luck with your G.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:25 PM

Best thing I've ever bought. I dont understand why people are having a problem using it honestly.

Two things I've learned while using it...make sure its not too hot OR too cold out, and make sure its not windy (that sucked once...by time my car dried all the tree pollen had blown all over it). Works great everytime.

Also I've heard you can use any soap you want to in it, so you dont need to keep buying theirs.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6MT
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 06-28-2004, 01:07 PM

Yes, I used it exactly according to the directions. I rinsed the soap off thoroughly with the regular water (not filtered) rinse and then applied the final spot-free filtered rinse (for the autodry). Again, it may just be the the Mr. Clean AutoDry soap that caused the white film (so I could use my regular carwash soap instead), but even so, I wouldn't find any time savings using this product with or without their soap. I might as well try something else like the Big Blue II super-absorbant towels instead...these may work even faster for me and prevent the hard-water spots and swirl marks. That's what I'm looking for.

In addition, I also didn't like that I only washed 2 cars and the Mr. Clean AutoDry filter was already brown, indicating it was already used up (and I used only enough spot-free autodry rinse to completely cover both cars as directed). I am not willing to buy a filter every week (or even every other week) to wash the cars.

And to MrCynical, yes, it's always hot here...it's S. Florida and there's no escaping the sun in my driveway ;-) Thanks.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/28/04 10:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
WRAH

I thought the same thing about it being brown... it comes brown, and really turns a light brown, or clay color. I took the plastic wrapper of because I thought it was used up. Also the demo they give you is really small, the refill lasts me about 15-20 washes!

As to children, I only have one that I been told and thats with g35 girl, so..... None really. Besides kids fit nicely in the trunk I'm found!

Its fun picking on all those sedan types. The OLD man wishes I got the sedan, but at 26 the coupe fits me nicely! (open a bag of worms here) If I had went with a 4 door it would have been the is300.

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray

<font color=purple> WRAH ~Scored with G35Girl!!!</font color=purple>
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Returning Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash