Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

HELP: My first wash...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face HELP: My first wash...

So I got my 2006 Black G35 Coupe last Saturday and this weekend I will be washing it for my first time. I've done a lot of research so far but I'm still not sure about some things. Can anyone post a step by step tutorial (for dummies ) for a basic wash?

Please note, this will be my first time washing a car EVER. I took my old car (2001 Toyota Celica) to the drive-through every time

So far I have Zaino's car wash soap and Zaino's tire gloss. I'll be going to AutoZone tomorrow to pick up the following:
? Mr. Clean Car AutoDry thing (not sure if I should get this )
- Microfiber Towels
- Tire Sponges
- Meguiars All-Metal polish for exhaust tips
- Stoner's Invisible Glass
- Meguiars Last Touch, cut 1:1 with distilled water for QD.

I just want to do a standard wash (no wax). Can someone please explain to me how I should go about washing my car? I know to use two buckets, 1 soapy water, 1 fresh water. 2 mits, one for the wheels. Should I wash the entire car with the soap, then dump the buckets of water onto the car? Or do I rinse it off with a hose? Should I use the Mr. Clean AutoDry thing and just use my Zaino car soap instead of the Mr. Clean soap? If not, what type of towels should I use for drying? How do you dry (serious question).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of people dump a bucket of water so all excess water will sheet off.

Personally, I use a hose, and then to dry, one of the Cali Jelly Blades.

The excess water I dab off using a MF towel and then park the car in the garage.

I have the Mr. Clean attachment mainly so I can cycle between soap and regular water.

The autodry does work, but the filter only lasts one or two uses, so I never used it again.

Really, most soaps are soap, there isn't a big difference (unless you're buying the high-end stuff).

Here's a process you can use from the sticky.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
[QUOTE=cpufreak3;4349938]
Personally, I use a hose, and then to dry, one of the Cali Jelly Blade.

Never use a jell blade, you have a OB G35 with a soft clear coat you don't need more scratches. Always wash your car in the cool shade never in direct sunlight, you don't want water spots either. I wash my G with cool water and a micro mitt top to bottom without soap of any kind. Then wheel wells and wheels with a separate sponge. Don't laugh, you can get rid of all the water with a "Leaf Blower" so you'll never drive away and have water coming from your gas door, mirrors or grille....it works! Micro towels are a very good idea after you've blown most everything off. Now all you need is a few micro rags and some detail spray to make your OB G look better than new. Tires, buy applicator sponges and apply the tire dressing to the sponge not the tires, again you don't want dressing on your wheels since you just cleaned them. Good Luck and Welcome to Driver....
Gary

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Good rec from Gary above.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-learning-library/

Great source of information on everything detailing.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372

Last edited by thescreensavers; 06-27-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm, I do wash in the shade, but MF towels always give me minor swirls.

I've had zero problems with the jelly blade. Not really sure how you get scratches, assuming the paint is clean.

Also, I've tried the leaf blower technique... didn't feel it was too effective. A lot of times, the waters just goes into all the crevices and sits there.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=gary c;4349996]
Originally Posted by cpufreak3
Personally, I use a hose, and then to dry, one of the Cali Jelly Blade.

Never use a jell blade, you have a OB G35 with a soft clear coat you don't need more scratches. Always wash your car in the cool shade never in direct sunlight, you don't want water spots either. I wash my G with cool water and a micro mitt top to bottom without soap of any kind. Then wheel wells and wheels with a separate sponge. Don't laugh, you can get rid of all the water with a "Leaf Blower" so you'll never drive away and have water coming from your gas door, mirrors or grille....it works! Micro towels are a very good idea after you've blown most everything off. Now all you need is a few micro rags and some detail spray to make your OB G look better than new. Tires, buy applicator sponges and apply the tire dressing to the sponge not the tires, again you don't want dressing on your wheels since you just cleaned them. Good Luck and Welcome to Driver....
Gary
Hi Gary. Thanks for the explanation. Just curious, so you don't use ANY car wash soap to wash your car...just fresh water? That's interesting.

What's a good detail spray I can use after washing and drying? How do you apply it?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM
G SQUAD
[QUOTE=ToDie4G35Coupes;4351253]
Originally Posted by gary c

Hi Gary. Thanks for the explanation. Just curious, so you don't use ANY car wash soap to wash your car...just fresh water? That's interesting.

What's a good detail spray I can use after washing and drying? How do you apply it?
I like most of what Gary recommended except for not using car wash soap. Car wash soap acts as a surfactant (Surfactants reduce the surface tension of water by adsorbing at the liquid-gas interface -- thank you Wikipedia) and a lubricant.

Basically, a quality car wash soap will work to loosen and lift dirt away from your paint surface and will provide lubrication between your wash mitt and the surface of your car, ultimately (hopefully) minimizing scratching during the wash process. Let's face it, washing a car is ultimately an abrasive process, and the goal of car wash soap is to minimize (or essentially eliminate) that abrasion.

The leaf blower does really help remove a lot of water. It's important to use an electric leaf blower and make sure that it hasn't picked up any debris. A gas leaf blower will leave a mist of oil and gas on your paint surface.

The other thing I might suggest is to wash your wheels first -- get it out of the way because it's the most annoying part of the wash and because you don't want that brake dust to end up on the car after you have already washed it. Dump the water, wash out the bucket, and use a new wash mitt before washing the car.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=bigbadbooda;4351273]
Originally Posted by ToDie4G35Coupes

I like most of what Gary recommended except for not using car wash soap. Car wash soap acts as a surfactant (Surfactants reduce the surface tension of water by adsorbing at the liquid-gas interface -- thank you Wikipedia) and a lubricant.

Basically, a quality car wash soap will work to loosen and lift dirt away from your paint surface and will provide lubrication between your wash mitt and the surface of your car, ultimately (hopefully) minimizing scratching during the wash process. Let's face it, washing a car is ultimately an abrasive process, and the goal of car wash soap is to minimize (or essentially eliminate) that abrasion.

The leaf blower does really help remove a lot of water. It's important to use an electric leaf blower and make sure that it hasn't picked up any debris. A gas leaf blower will leave a mist of oil and gas on your paint surface.

The other thing I might suggest is to wash your wheels first -- get it out of the way because it's the most annoying part of the wash and because you don't want that brake dust to end up on the car after you have already washed it. Dump the water, wash out the bucket, and use a new wash mitt before washing the car.
Gotcha. Do you know any good, quick detailing sprays?

Here's my list of supplies to buy:
- 2 Buckets and 1 Grit Guard (can the grit guard be purchased at Autozone?)
- 1 Sheepskin Washing Mit
- Microfiber Towels (for drying)
- Tire Sponges (for applying tire gloss)
- Meguiars All-Metal polish (for exhaust tips)
- Stoner's Invisible Glass (not sure what this is for, someone recommended it )
- Meguiars Last Touch, cut 1:1 with distilled water for QD.

Am I missing anything?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just used the Meguiars Ultimate Detailing spray and its best I've used. You can use it while you're drying. It's enough of a lubricant to minimize any towel swirls and leaves a great finish. The sheepskin mit is good but you could probably use something to remove bug splat. I use a microfiber sponge to clean the tougher spots without too much pressure.

Post pictures!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
does no one here use a proper chamois??
and +1 to no soap

Old 06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys for all the help! I really appreciate it I'll try to post pictures after I wash/detail tomorrow!

I just got back from Target/Autozone/Home Depot. Spent about $100

Here's what I have now in my arsenal of cleaning products:

Zaino Leather Cleaner (ordered online)
Zaino Car Wash (ordered online)
Zaino Tire Gloss (ordered online)
Squash Air-Freshener (ordered online)
Folex Carpet Cleaner
2 Five Gallon Buckets
1 Pack of Microfiber Towels
1 Pack of Microfiber Towels for Glass Surfaces
1 Large Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel for Drying
1 Pack of Terry-Cloth Towels
Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish For Exhaust Pipes
Stone's Invisible Glass Cleaner
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer Spray
Tire Sponges
1 Microfiber Wheel Brush
1 Firehouse Nozzle

Unfortunately, none of those three places had sheepskin washing mitts! I settled for a microfiber plush mitt which will due for the time being. Also, I couldn't find any cheap Grit Guard replicas so I will go ahead and order one of those.

2 QUICK QUESTIONS

(1) How/when do I apply the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detail spray? Do I wash my car? Dry it completely? Then use the spray? How do I apply it? One spray then rub it in with a microfiber towel? Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing.

(2) I'm going to this place to get my tint done. I noticed they also offer this service as well [SEE LINK BELOW]. What do you guys think?

http://www.automagicllc.com/product-pop.asp?prodid=32

Our EverShine® Clear-Coat Sealant is a Teflon® based polymer sealant that provides protection against the sun’s dangerous UV rays. This is a great service if you want to keep your vehicle looking new, but don’t want to wax it yourself. We’ll send you a notice every six months when your vehicle is due to be resealed and will perform a complete reapplication at a discounted price. The price for the Resealant® will never change as long as you own your vehicle. The service comes with a Limited LIFETIME Warranty and Service Agreement ensuring that your vehicle maintains it’s original gloss as long as you own it.

^ What do you guys think of that?

Last edited by ToDie4G35Coupes; 06-27-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Glad you took some of my recommendations.

About that treatment, just wax your car yourself. Basically what the treatments are are just applying a sealant, which takes 20 minutes, then coming back 6 months later and reapplying it. With ridiculous prices of course. If you want a good wax that will last a very long time, go with Collinite 915. Looks very good, has a nice glow, and lasts a very long time. Clay before you apply. I'll post up a link to a car I did with it.

Link to Collinite glow: https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...ml#post4352231

I got my Sheepskin mitt from DetailedImage.com, make sure you throughly rinse it out before you air-dry it. Got my Grit-guard from there too. Your washing sounds pretty down pat, add clay (only use every 6 months or more) and wax and your car will look amazing.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by ToDie4G35Coupes
Our EverShine® Clear-Coat Sealant is a Teflon® based polymer sealant that provides protection against the sun’s dangerous UV rays. This is a great service if you want to keep your vehicle looking new, but don’t want to wax it yourself. We’ll send you a notice every six months when your vehicle is due to be resealed and will perform a complete reapplication at a discounted price. The price for the Resealant® will never change as long as you own your vehicle. The service comes with a Limited LIFETIME Warranty and Service Agreement ensuring that your vehicle maintains it’s original gloss as long as you own it.
If ur too fat and lazy to wax ur car urself, we'll do it for you and apply sealant for only 400,000 times the cost of the materials!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HELP: My first wash...