Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What's good for weather stripping and trim protectant?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's good for weather stripping and trim protectant?

What do you guys use that would give a good protection from the elements for all the rubber weather stripping around the doors, trunk and hood area, seal around the sun roof etc.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Anyone?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Armoral original protectant is something I've seen recommended and I've been using that once a year. I spray it on a cloth and wipe on to apply. Difficult to get all the moonroof rubber.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
just heard pros and cons about Armoral, hummm....

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I use zaino z16, its meant for tires, but they reccomend it for exterior plastics and rubbers as well.

I tried it out, but it looked really weird when it got wet, but maybe thats because it didn't have enough time to dry, which could also be because I might have applied a little to much. next time I'll try to give it a full 24 dry time, and apply more thinly. I think you can use aerospace 303 as well, haven't tried it on that stuff yet, only on dash, its nice, deepens the colour a bit.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Anything else out there that's good?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use silicone spray on the door and window seals, trunk and hood seals. just spray onto a rag and wipe on. let set for a couple of minutes and then go with a clean rag and wipe off any excess. it'll leave a nice dry smooth slippery finish that lasts a long time and prevents the rubber from drying out. I've tried 303 but it doesn't last as long on exterior parts subject to the weather.

just make sure you don't get it on the paint or windows, as it takes a bit of effort to remove.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by headshot
Anything else out there that's good?
If you have any Leatherique Prestine Clean for your seats, I'd recommend putting that in a smaller 4oz pump spray bottle and using that to protect the seals. It will nourish the rubber and really prevent them from hardening and cracking. It is expensive to use just for this purpose, but in the smaller pump spray bottle, you can maximize your product usage. 303 works well but you have to keep up with it. Another option is Optimum Protectant Plus.

Stay away from silicone based products, over time they will dry out and crack rubber, leather and vinyl surfaces. Most silicone based products are a no-no in the detailing industry.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...carestick.aspx

Clean the oxidized rubber before treating anything, do this with paper towels/rags and diluted Isopropyl Alcohol(aka IPA, found at any CVS, Rite Aid, etc for a couple bucks.)

Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Stay away from silicone based products, over time they will dry out and crack rubber, leather and vinyl surfaces. Most silicone based products are a no-no in the detailing industry.
hmmm strange I've always heard to use silicone spray on the door gaskets. I know on motorweek Pat Goss recommended it on the door seals, sunroof gaskets.... I can't find the link for that but found this one that address the gaskets for convertible tops.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2831.shtml

It is also recommend for use on door seals by the manufactures of silicone sprays. it says to keeps gaskets loose and prevents wear and cracking.

http://www.liquidwrench.com/products...icone%20Spray/

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I use Leatherique once a year to restore all of the trim and maintain it with Poorboy's Natural Look dressing. It leaves a nice clean OE looking matte finish and dries well without leaving a greasy feel to everything.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM
some good ideas!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had a lot of success with 1Z products......they have a few items that will work

Last edited by GR8TG35; 03-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
hmmm strange I've always heard to use silicone spray on the door gaskets. I know on motorweek Pat Goss recommended it on the door seals, sunroof gaskets.... I can't find the link for that but found this one that address the gaskets for convertible tops.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2831.shtml

It is also recommend for use on door seals by the manufactures of silicone sprays. it says to keeps gaskets loose and prevents wear and cracking.

http://www.liquidwrench.com/products...icone%20Spray/
Unfortunately, detailing is one of those industries flooded with poor information. Why do you think no one recommends silicone based tire dressings? Because eventually it will brown, dry out and crack your tires, not to mention it can easily sling onto your paint and potentially cause some damage. Whether it's rubber on your tires or rubber on your seals, how is it any different? Also, why do you think Armor All changed their formula years ago from a silicone based dressing to water based? Because it actually was harmful to your interior back in the day.

Just my $.02.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I decided to go with Lexol conditioner. Put it on yesterday and it left a nice finish. None greasy, non shiny look. It gives a good UV protection and its the same stuff I use for my leather.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's good for weather stripping and trim protectant?