Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Pressure washer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Devil's Advocate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure washer?

I'm thinking about getting myself a pressure washer for christmas. Is there anything wrong with using a pressure to wash your car?

Seems to me that there would be far less chance of scratching the finish, but I am a little concerned about how long waxes will last.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Premier Member

I've heard varying opinions on pressure washers. Some say it's okay, a lot more say it's a no-no. I know they use a pressure washer for my wheels at my local "hand car-wash", but I've never seen them use it on the car, so I'd go with the opinion of the nay sayers on this one.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I've been using a pressure washer on my car for about a year. It works great on the wheels and bumper (a lot of bugs in FL). I haven't had any problems. Just don't use a tip with too much pressure and DON'T get too close and you will be fine. As for wax, I use Zaino and it holds up great.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
I would say that, in general, to NOT use a pressure washer on your car's painted parts [pressure washers come in different "powers" so perhaps a low pressure unit would be acceptable].

Anyway, if you had a chip in your paint's finish, a pressure washer might end up catching the edge of the chip and hence peeling up more paint. Keep in mind that pressure washers are sometimes used to strip paint in commercial applications, so depending upon how many psi the washer is rated at, it could do the same on your car.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, imaging pressure washing your car with dirt on it!!! OUCH!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by GRider35c
yeah, imaging pressure washing your car with dirt on it!!! OUCH!!!
Is that any worse than rubbing it in with a wash mitt?

Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roneski
Is that any worse than rubbing it in with a wash mitt?
gently wash away the dirt with a light stream of water before you use the pressure washer and i say it would be alright... but DONT just start off with the pressure washer...

ive never used one so i dont know the exact procedures...

Old 12-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Roneski,

I've been using a pressure washer at least 6 years now and have never had a problem in using it. Its is great for cleaning your rims( esp if you have aftermarket mesh type).
The unit I use is electric and is lower powered( I think that it is under 1500psi) and it comes with two wands. One for general cleaning( the tip is adjustable from mist to a sharp jet) and the other is for power blasting( def not for the car!!!). The brand is Simoniz.
I'm happy with the way it performs and it has been a blessing in some cases. I've had my car egged and it was easily removed with the power wash.
As for removing/ damaging the surface of the car, there is nothing to worry about. Wax your car on a routine basis. You are lucky that you live in a warm climate where I live in Toronto, Canada. I don't get to wax in the winter and my car is parked outside 99% of the time.
Good luck if you deside to purchase a power washer.
One more thing, I still use a two mit system to wash my car. One for the top half and one for the lower.

35BILLS

Old 12-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Team Transport Member
Youre fine using a pressure washer dont worry about it! Just dont get too close with the nozzle...Most dealerships wash the cars with them and a lot of HIGH end detailers too. I've been using a Steam Pressure washer for yrs on all my cars along with my G and its fine.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I agree with ZAZA. Detailing Dynamics who sponsors the GSquad uses them to wash their customers cars (Ferrari's, Lambo's, you name it). At a recent detailing day, they spoke about using a pressure washer and offered what I thought was a very good tip. Obviously, you don't want to use too much pressure, they said hold your hand in the water (may need someone to hold the wand), far away and bring it closer and closer to the wand. When it starts to hurt your hand, that's the point where it's a lil too much. Never come closer then that distance.

They mentioned the benefit of the pressure washer is that is blows as much dirst as possible off, before ever touching the car. Seems logical to me!!

Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 AM
I stopped using the pressure washer.

It may have been coincidental but right after using it I could swear my brakes started to squeak. I've tried bedding them again but that doesn't work so I'm guessing that I might have blasted some of the silicone grease off the brakes when I tried to clean the Brembos by directing a strong stream of water at them.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Devil's Advocate
Thanks for the input guys.

I think that I am going to give it a try, but I'll stay low powered to keep myself honest. It's also a handy thing to have around the house for cleaning driveways etc. so even if I decide to stop using it on my G it won't go to waste.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Devil's Advocate
Another plus.

A friend just pointed out to me that during summer drought restrictions here you are only allowed to wash your car in the driveway if you are using a low water consumption device like a pressure washer.

Last edited by roneski; 12-11-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Use the pressure washer to wet the car and rinse off loose dirt and bugs--do not get too close, then use a mit as usual, then use the p. washer to rinse off the car--again not too close and the right tip. If you rely on the p.washer alone to remove grime--it won't work--it will leave a grime layer, just like at the car wash--if your car is really dirty and you don't hand rub it. My opinion.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:17 PM
No idea whats going on
Re:

It migt depend on where you live. Around here at school I have to wash my car at a friends house and they have really crappy water pressure there so it doesnt provide the pressure washer with too much pressure. It was my first time washing my car with a pressure washer and I was a little unsure too but just dont get too close. I used it to wash the whole car and it worked out fine but it does more or less take off your wax at least it did mine. I would say its ok to use it just be careful with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pressure washer?