Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Headlight Restoration Education

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Headlight Restoration Education

There seems to be a new wave of products and infomercials surrounding headlight restoration. They charge around 20-25 bucks for their products usually.

Last weekend when I detailed my G, I did a once over on my hazy headlights with a buffer pad and rubbing compound...now the haze is gone and they look brand new.

Save yourself the cash on expensive headlight restoration kits...use the stuff you already have!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
polish and compound will work on some headlights. its usually the first thing i try before going deeper than that. there are some where you just have to get nitty gritty and do some manual labor, never bought a kit tho

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just bought the kit from autozone, use light sand paper then polish.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 AM
i used 1000 then 2000 depending how bad the haze is

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I've used both the wet-sand kits, the "scratchX" crap, and just the standard polishing method. In fact, just did both my headlights and my wife's headlights on her G sedan this weekend. Here are some before and afters.... all of this by hand, I just don't trust myself taking a power buffer to plastic. lol

Just a good rubbing compound, then polish, then hit it with a synthetic wax, all on microfiber towels. We'll see how long it lasts like this.

Mine Before, pics don't do it justice about how bad I had let it get.

After:

Wife's G before (her's wasn't as bad, but they were starting to get cloudy):

After:

Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
^ That is perfect evidence of what I'm talking about! Thanks for posting those up. They look really good.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM
That job came out really nice! Though I never really support taking sandpaper to headlights...

Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm glad someone made a good thread about headlight restoration. The past couple of threads I have read contained bad news. " The WTF did I do to my headlights" Thread
Keep posting up your HLR jobs and the steps that you took. This thread can help others in need.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GR6RR
I'm glad someone made a good thread about headlight restoration. The past couple of threads I have read contained bad news. " The WTF did I do to my headlights" Thread
Keep posting up your HLR jobs and the steps that you took. This thread can help others in need.
yeah thats true lol.. my process took a month or two to perfect by practicing on my own headlights, but i have it down.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by GR6RR
I'm glad that this thread was able to help some folks out. I'll see if I can snap some pics of my HLR job pretty soon and get them posted. All I did was hit them with a yellow pad on my buffer with some Z-PC Fusion I was using on the rest of my car at the time. You'll be amazed at how good they look for taking approximately 5 seconds on each light

Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
I've used both the wet-sand kits, the "scratchX" crap, and just the standard polishing method. In fact, just did both my headlights and my wife's headlights on her G sedan this weekend. Here are some before and afters.... all of this by hand, I just don't trust myself taking a power buffer to plastic. lol

Just a good rubbing compound, then polish, then hit it with a synthetic wax, all on microfiber towels. We'll see how long it lasts like this.

Mine Before, pics don't do it justice about how bad I had let it get.

After:

Wife's G before (her's wasn't as bad, but they were starting to get cloudy):

After:
wow that came out really good nice job. what grit did you use mine didnt come out aas shiny, but i didnt want to over due it

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
do you guys see better results with wet sanding first?

I have an 08 and have a small amount of haze/cloudy forming ill try compound/polish since its just a small area.

What do you guys apply for protection after the cleaning?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
If it's a light amount of hazing, just use a little rubbing compound to remove it (I used Z-PC Fusion because I alredy had it). For protection, just hit it with a coat of polish (I used Z-2 because I already had it.)

Good luck

Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
for heavy hazing, like mine, definitely recommend wetsanding first... Meguiar's also offers a sealant now to follow it up with. Can't attest to how well it works, but the PlastX that comes with their kit works wonders. I've used it on my '04 G35, an '01 Lexus SC 430, '97 Honda Accord, and '98 Ford Contour with the same great results. I've been taking pictures of all the cars (except the contour, didn't have a camera at the time), and they've all come out looking fantastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration Education