Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Vinyl wrap vs. Paint - In Canada (Snow + Salt)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Vinyl wrap vs. Paint - In Canada (Snow + Salt)

If you have knowledge of vinyl + road salt please leave a comment / message me. This is my biggest concern

Hi, I am considering doing a repaint of the entire car, and am considering a wrap as well. Can anyone give me any pros/cons of paint vs. vinyl

I am considering matte black or brushed steel blue for vinyl
I am considering Deep Blue Pearl (2012 GT-R) for paint.

The car is daily driven all year round, and local roads get quite a bit of salt. I have been told this is bad for vinyl, is that true?

Last edited by DVG; 05-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
It's bad for paint, too. At least here in the South, when they infrequently salt, sometimes it causes chipping. I'd rather had an extra layer of something, like vinyl. Way cheaper than a paintjob.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
DVG
What I had heard is that it causes the vinyl to peel. That would be much worse than a chip in the paint IMO

However I was told this at a party lol

Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my pics of my g35 sedan wrapped in flat white vinyl. I daily drive mine about 70-100 miles a day and it's putting up real well. Much better than paint and I can peel it off in like a year or two and keep the factory paint clean nd fresh!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I would wrap it personally. A GOOD paint job is extremely expensive, and the cheaper ones will fail faster than the wrap. It won't happen for a while either, then you can get messy with an ultra-soft clear coat, or any tiny mishap on prep work causing a de-lamination of the clear.

Basically, if your paint job gets messed up, a couple years down the road you'll need to shell out some big bucks to get it looking right again. If you get the wrap, all you need to do is remove it.

I don't think road salt would affect it at all.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
DVG
Originally Posted by ARB_MNY_G35x
Check out my pics of my g35 sedan wrapped in flat white vinyl. I daily drive mine about 70-100 miles a day and it's putting up real well. Much better than paint and I can peel it off in like a year or two and keep the factory paint clean nd fresh!
I've seen your G, it looks good, I'm not really worried about the daily driving in the summer, its more the winter that I am worried about. But I would be hoping to keep my wrap for about 4-5 years, since its fairly expensive. It would be cool if I could just re-wrap individual panels when they get damaged too. Maybe keep it going for longer than 7 years if only parts of it start to degrade.

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
I would wrap it personally. A GOOD paint job is extremely expensive, and the cheaper ones will fail faster than the wrap. It won't happen for a while either, then you can get messy with an ultra-soft clear coat, or any tiny mishap on prep work causing a de-lamination of the clear.

Basically, if your paint job gets messed up, a couple years down the road you'll need to shell out some big bucks to get it looking right again. If you get the wrap, all you need to do is remove it.

I don't think road salt would affect it at all.
Thanks for your input. I agree, paint is more volatile. I've gone to what many people consider the best painter in my area and he quoted me about 6k to paint it.

If I could get a wrap that would last for 5 years or so for 3k, I would be happy.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
DVG
Bump - would like some more info on this.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
DVG,
If you are interested in this Id love to chat with you.
I live in Ottawa and I have a little spot off of Hunt Club. We do full vinyl wraps there.
I dont mind setting ya up. You might of seen my car floating around, Matte Black G35 Coupe.

anyways, PM me or visit my site www.restyling.ca

Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 AM
DVG
Originally Posted by ReStylin
DVG,
If you are interested in this Id love to chat with you.
I live in Ottawa and I have a little spot off of Hunt Club. We do full vinyl wraps there.
I dont mind setting ya up. You might of seen my car floating around, Matte Black G35 Coupe.

anyways, PM me or visit my site www.restyling.ca
I PM'd you

Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
I haven't heard anyone with a vinyl wrap mention that it was any worse than a car with actual paint, plus you could always remove it. Definitely think that's the way to go.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
If you invest in the paint, just get the 3M clear wrap over sideskirts, front bumper, lower rear bumper. You can't really tell the difference unless you have your face next to the paint. The stuff I had on mine has not yellowed in 7 years, my car sits in the sun on a garage roof daily and salty winters. Can't imagine too much salt getting splashed above the those surfaces.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ARB_MNY_G35x
how much did you get it done for?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Heres a few pics of my sedan in flat white. Ordered the material myself and this shop in my area did the labor for 600. Total costed me a little under a grand.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Heres a few pics of my sedan wrapped.. ordered the material myself and had a shop do the work for $600. Total was a little under a grand...

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
DVG
I think I'm going to go for the wrap after what I've seen. You can be more creative with it, and it costs a lot less then a similar paint job.

I just hope it stands up to my climate as I haven't seen many wrapped cars around here. I am really particular too, and it seems like its easier to do a good job with vinyl (No overspray...no missed spots...no chips)

Thanks for the inputs everyone.... now I have to decide a vinyl to get

Brushed Steel - Blue or Black?

Any other suggestions welcome. If I got blue I would do blue and black theme. Black would be red and black.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap vs. Paint - In Canada (Snow + Salt)