Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is the best buffer to buy for a newb? Also what other stuff to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best buffer to buy for a newb? Also what other stuff to buy?

I've been detailing cars by hand for a while now, nothing more than a couple layers of wax and polish. Looks good... but with a black car still have swirls!

What is the best buffer and pads, glazes, wax, etc. combo to get rid of them?

I plan to attack this one the weekend after I recieve all my goods!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
The Porter Cable 7424

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-...Fc2a7QodexsATQ

By far the best to start out with. As it's an "orbital" buffer, you can't get in too much trouble burning the paint as with a high speed buffer. A high speed, in the right hands, will always do better, but this is what I have and I have not been disappointed.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I would recommend the Griot's Garage D/A over the Porter Cable, it has more power and is preferred by almost every detailer I know who uses a D/A. I would recommend this with Menzerna polishes:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Griot...Kit_p_683.html

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
^^^Wow! Good find!

So should I get the 'templated' combo of pads listed?

What Specific glazes, polishes, waxes, etc. would you reccomend for our black cars? (2004 g35)

Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
^^^Wow! Good find!

So should I get the 'templated' combo of pads listed?

What Specific glazes, polishes, waxes, etc. would you reccomend for our black cars? (2004 g35)
No problem. I run a detailing business so if you ever need to know where to order from let me know. Are you just detailing your own car? The paint on our cars is pretty soft, so I would get Orange, 2 Green, Blue, Black. I would recommend Menzerna Powerfinish and Menzerna PO85RD for our paint. If your paint is trashed, pick up some Meguiar's M105.

Here's a good vid on how to polish:

I would recommend Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body or scratch resistant coating such as Opti-coat or Aquartz, They're not too hard to use, you just need to strip the oils from the paint with a dawn wash or APC and after that application is pretty easy and will pay dividends in the future. I would check out Autopia.com or Detailingbliss.com for more info.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 AM
meguiars has a full 3 set of polishers that i used and they work very well. it has a compound that gets rid of scratches a polisher and then a wax. check it out

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Awesome!! Thank you so much!

Where do I buy those Mezerna products from? (For the cheapest)

How about the Opti-coat or aquartz?

Finally, I hate to sound dumb, but do I work myself through with each pad on the whole car? Med. cut, polish, finishing, and then the wax/seal pad?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by linedr89
meguiars has a full 3 set of polishers that i used and they work very well. it has a compound that gets rid of scratches a polisher and then a wax. check it out
Interesting! Link?

Appreciate the help.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Found these 2 video too for anyone interested or people that find this thread and want to learn from me!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Awesome!! Thank you so much!

Where do I buy those Mezerna products from? (For the cheapest)

How about the Opti-coat or aquartz?

Finally, I hate to sound dumb, but do I work myself through with each pad on the whole car? Med. cut, polish, finishing, and then the wax/seal pad?
Best place to pick up Menzerna would be from Detailersdomain.com. Alternatively, you can ask for samples on the forum for a cheaper price as you use polish pretty sparingly. Same with the coatings, they are available on Detailersdomain.

Yes you do, you will need some sort of lighting to inspect how much progress you are making. Halogens work for deeper scratches, but make it hard to see haze or very fine marring. Hi-power LED's work best. For polishing, you will follow each step down. You may need multiple hits of each step, say 2 with orange/powerfinish followed by 3 passes of blue/85RD. It varies for how severe the marring is on each vehicle, the products I recommended will take care of medium/light scratches/marring.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
If money is no object, I would get the FLEX dual action orbital. It is expensive but is between a DA and a rotary.

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Best place to pick up Menzerna would be from Detailersdomain.com. Alternatively, you can ask for samples on the forum for a cheaper price as you use polish pretty sparingly. Same with the coatings, they are available on Detailersdomain.

Yes you do, you will need some sort of lighting to inspect how much progress you are making. Halogens work for deeper scratches, but make it hard to see haze or very fine marring. Hi-power LED's work best. For polishing, you will follow each step down. You may need multiple hits of each step, say 2 with orange/powerfinish followed by 3 passes of blue/85RD. It varies for how severe the marring is on each vehicle, the products I recommended will take care of medium/light scratches/marring.
Samples? I am not familiar. Sorry. What do you mean?

Gotcha. I will order this stuff now!

Also, I need some new microfiber towels. I normally would just get the ones at the autoparts store.... are those good enough? If not, what towels should I get?

Originally Posted by maxpusher
If money is no object, I would get the FLEX dual action orbital. It is expensive but is between a DA and a rotary.

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-XC3401VRG.../dp/B001DB0NVG
No thanks! LOL Money is an object lol.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
So anyone have tips on which microfiber towels to get from http://www.detailersdomain.com or are the ones (microfiber) I can get from local auto parts store be ok?

The ones from the autoparts store are the ones I use now... anyone have tips?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Samples? I am not familiar. Sorry. What do you mean?

Gotcha. I will order this stuff now!

Also, I need some new microfiber towels. I normally would just get the ones at the autoparts store.... are those good enough? If not, what towels should I get?
By samples I mean someone may be willing to sell you 4 or 8 ozs of polish instead of you having to buy 16oz. The towels from the auto parts store are not good enough, our paint is very soft. You can use them for everything that doesn't include paint, interior, exhaust, etc. I prefer these for paint:

http://www.eurow.com/Eurow-Microfibe...B0029T0S70.htm

Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the link! Ordered the towels and buffer along with the reccomended Menzerna products.

Will post up again when I recieve everything!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the best buffer to buy for a newb? Also what other stuff to buy?