Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is the best buffer to buy for a newb? Also what other stuff to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would pick up the Griots machine.

this is the tool that we have been using for quite sometime now.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Best bet is to buy the Porter Cable 7424xp. It works perfect for any beginner. Also grab some orange Lake Country Pads for swirl removal, some white ones for polish, and some red ones for wax. My exact process and it keeps my car looking brand new!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks! I already bought the Griots one thoug,h, and will use that and the pads that were included.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Best place to pick up Menzerna would be from Detailersdomain.com. Alternatively, you can ask for samples on the forum for a cheaper price as you use polish pretty sparingly. Same with the coatings, they are available on Detailersdomain.

Yes you do, you will need some sort of lighting to inspect how much progress you are making. Halogens work for deeper scratches, but make it hard to see haze or very fine marring. Hi-power LED's work best. For polishing, you will follow each step down. You may need multiple hits of each step, say 2 with orange/powerfinish followed by 3 passes of blue/85RD. It varies for how severe the marring is on each vehicle, the products I recommended will take care of medium/light scratches/marring.
Ok. Just finished doing a couple of coats on my whole car with the orange/powerfinish. I think I need something stronger to remove my swirls! I was going at #5/6 speed the whole time, and many of the swirls remained, although not as signifigant as before.

What is my next step? Get a stronger compound to use? A harder pad?

It was fun though! I look forward to trying this again! Is it ok to try this next weekend? Or am I going to hurt my paint?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
Ok. Just finished doing a couple of coats on my whole car with the orange/powerfinish. I think I need something stronger to remove my swirls! I was going at #5/6 speed the whole time, and many of the swirls remained, although not as signifigant as before.

What is my next step? Get a stronger compound to use? A harder pad?

It was fun though! I look forward to trying this again! Is it ok to try this next weekend? Or am I going to hurt my paint?
BolivianFuego, watch the video and then read what's after:

Notice he only uses 3 small drop of polish and how big the area is he works in, that's all you should really need. Also notice how long he polishes the paint for and how the polish turns more and more clear as he goes on. What's happening is that the abrasive particle starts at a large size and breaks down smaller and smaller each time, reducing cut and finishing down. You're basically doing sanding on a miniature level and since the cut goes down it's like going from 1000->2000->3000. Then you need to use a finishing polish the same way, which would be like 2500->3000->4000. Know what I mean?

The polish will not have any protective ability, it is only for "sanding" down the paint. After, use a wax/sealant to protect the paint. Also, do a couple test spots to see how everything works out before doing the entire car. The Orange/Powerfinish will be enough, it should get about 80% of the swirls done properly, do it one more time and it will get 97-100% out. Then follow with the finishing polish. And it is fun, wait till you see the results

Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks man! I will try this hopefully next weekend! It was fun.... but tiring! Phew!!!

I will take pics again, I just was at some parts of the body for a WHILE! I will go at it again, and post pics this time!! Thanks again Darkstar! I appreciate it!