Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Should I tip the detailer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:42 PM
|
Should I tip the detailer?

I'm getting my car detailed tomorrow, and since I've never hired a detailer before, I was wondering if it customary to give the detailer a tip? If so, what is a reasonable tip?

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:50 AM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Though I never have, since I've only had full detailing done twice in my life (in prep for selling) and was unimpressed with the work both times, I did used to tip a fella that washed my truck on a regular basis. Racing motocross, the truck was filthy all the time, and the small town East Coast dealership that took care of the truck was awesome for service and customer care. Often, they would wash the car for free, and I don't mean pressure sprayer, I'm talking hand wash, chamois dry, tire dressing, vacuum...for less than 10 bucks worst case.
They were great, really nice, best dealer I've ever seen.

Bottom line, if you find someone that does great work for you, let them know it, and let others know. I made a point of knowing how the fellas liked their coffee and what donuts they liked, too.
It's for this reason that I let people know how great my experience getting winters from Big_H, and how much I like my GroundingGear from Gord, too.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:40 AM
I used to detail cars on my own... Would either go to customer house or have them drop the car off. I always treated my customers cars as my own and based good relations with them. I never expected to get tipped, but ALWAYS worked my *** off and it showed. I was ALWAYS tipped since they liked my work and effort I put in...

I hated detailing cars for people, who would complain how the regular wash does it in 1 hour and it takes me 4-6 hours(since I would wash, clay, wash, remove swirls, polish and wax)... Basically trying to make it look as good as I could. Later on I would choose my customers and soon had set clientele base.

Bottom line, if they do a real good job and work their *** off go and and tip them!

Old 03-04-2005 | 01:40 AM
Well I am kinda biased on this but I would have to say give em a nice big tip if they do a good job with great service.

Don't forget to get some car wash and quick detailer that would go with the products they used.