Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Debadged Trunk has deep scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debadged Trunk has deep scratches

Okay, so me and my buddy debadged my G35 coupe the other day. Now we used dental floss to get rid of the emblems. And because we didnt have goo gone, we used acetone(nail polish remover) on cotton pads to rub off the residues. I waxed the trunk twice but u can still see the scratches left from rubbing the residue out with the cotton pads. So, i went to JoAnn's to get goo gone, used it and then i am waxing it again but this time im putting triple coats of wax on the surface. The wax im using is Meguiars. Do u think if i get Zaino's stuff itd be more effective removing the scratches?

Thanks guys. I will post pics of it so u guys can judge the severity.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 AM
I had the same problem. I used the claybar and it made it look alot better then I waxed.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 AM
if they are *real* scratches, then you need to use an abrasive polish. if they are *real deep* scratches (ie, down to the metal), then you will need to paint. nothing short of abrasive polishing will remove scratches. zaino and other waxes/sealants will hide them for a short period of time.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 AM
ouch! I took off my G35 this weekend, and there isn't a scratch or anything. After I got off the letters, I just used my fingers to "roll off" the adhesive. Used some bug and tar remover after that and then another coat of wax, and it's all good.

Post pics - if it isnt too deep, then I think you could use some Z5 to buff them out.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:57 AM
thanks for the replies guys. yeah, i forgot that i used paper towels to rub off the glue... maybe thats what made the scratches. Umm, its not that deep and it looks better now with just some simple coats of wax. I will post pics after i get back from classes..

again, thanks guys!

Old 03-27-2005, 02:27 AM
is goo gone really necessary to remove the residue? When i debadged, I took a small flathead and took off the letters one by one... the leftover stuff i just removed with my fingers and sprayed a little dawn/water to take out any left over stuff... didn't seem that bad that i would need something like goo gone... maybe i was lucky? then again i didn't use a hair dryer and the adhesive was like all in one piece and easy to take out...

as for the scratches, might want to look into a product from meguiars for removing scratches, forgot the name but it was like some sort of glaze thing... not the scratchX, which is only good for really light scratches.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Use a hair dryer to warm it up just a tad (don't need much). Pry the emblem off with your fingers. The glue left behind is removed simply by rubbing your finger carefully over the glue until it ***** up. Whatever 'ghost' that's left behind is basically glue (unless your car is already 2 years old) and can be removed with your finger as well (not your finger nail).

It took me about 3 mins to remove the g35 logo from the trunk. Not a single scratch. The whole floss, fishing line, goo gone is bizarre. Trust me, I think this one is being over-thought.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If any of you are intersted...I can get your emblems painted black. I have pics of what it looks like on many different cars...will do for a reasonable price too! Click on my name and view all posts...check out my Emblem post. Please pm me or email me at sundeviljay@hotmail.com for more info...