Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

detailing procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detailing procedure

Hi guys,
I'm very new to detailing and would like some expert advice. Besides washing your car, what do you guys do? On the outside? Wax? Clay? ..

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:43 AM
You asked for it! I know it sounds like a lot but the car looks so nice after and future cleanings are so much easier, which really makes it worth while.

1.) Fill up 2 5-gallon wash buckets about 50% full, using one for clean water with shampoo and one as a dirty, rinse off bucket.

2.) Add 2 caps of P21S Bodywork Shampoo and fill the first wash bucket up to about 80% to suds up the water.

3.) Before I tackle the paint I like to spray P21S Wheel Gel on my wheels and let it sit as I shampoo the paint. This breaks up the road grime and break dust while I stay busy cleaning.

4.) Using a foam wash sponge scrub the entire car from top to bottom. For tougher areas such as the front bumper, behind tires, and low body panels I
like to use this bug and tar removal block. It works great for removing bugs, tar, and other grime that the foam sponge won’t work off.

5.) As the foam sponge gets dirty or loses its suds rinse it out in the 2nd wash bucket and proceed to get more shampoo suds from the first bucket. Do this until the entire car is washed.

6.) After washing the car I like to clean my tires with 303 Aerospace Protectant then scrub them with a firm bristle tire brush. Don't forget the wheel wells too.

7.) Before I spray down the car I like to take a wheel brush to my wheels to loosen any debris the wheel cleaner wasn’t able to remove. Once you are
done spray down the entire care from top to bottom.

8.) When the car is rinsed off, (this is a great tip) remove the spray nozzle so water is flowing freely from the hose. Start from the top of the
car and let the water sheet off. You want the dirt you just broke up to float up and be flooded off the car, if you blast it with a spray it pushes the dirt around but not off the car sometimes.

9.) I then proceed to dry the car with a large waffle weave microfiber. I feel this is the best drying tool available and is more than adequate to do 2 cars at once! Make sure you open your doors, hood, and trunk and get all the places water loves to seep into. If you have an air compressor this is a good time to use it to blow out mirrors, wheels, around trim, etc.

10.) I will usually make a second pass at the car with another dry waffle weave microfiber towel to ensure all moisture is off the car.

11.) Next step I break out the clay bar. I like to use Clear Kote’s Detailing Clay because it is large enough to cut into 1/3s and store in their handy plastic container.

12.) Spray the quick detailer solution onto the car and gently work the clay in a 2’ x 2’ area. You will notice the paint becoming smoother as you work. If you feel it start to skid apply more solution in that area. Once that area is complete I wipe excess detailing solution with a microfiber towel. Make sure you keep kneading the clay to get a fresh surface to clean your paint.

13.) Now your paint is ready for some real work. If your paint has swirls you are looking to remove from the winter months (or the past) then this is a great step for you. Select a polish with the proper abrasiveness your paint requires. I like to go with a light abrasive polish since my paint is relatively new. My product of choice is Poorboy’s Super Swirl Remover 1. Apply this product using moderate pressure, otherwise you will not remove
the swirls and scratches. I like to spray my applicator pad with a quick detailing solution for added lubrication before applying the polish. Work
in small 2’ x 2’ sections. Then buff off with a microfiber towel.

14.) Next to really bring out the gloss and shine you want I use a finishing polish. Many people are under the misconception that the wax brings out the
gloss and finish when in reality it is the polish, which many beginners skip. I like to use Klasse All-In-One Polish for optimal shine. Again, apply this product using moderate pressure. I like to spray my applicator pad with a quick detailing solution for added lubrication before applying the polish. Work in small 2’ x 2’ sections. Then buff off with a
microfiber towel

15.) Now its time to seal the paint in with some sealant and wax. What I like to do is layer a couple of coats of sealant for optimal protection and
then follow up with a carnauba coat to give it the wet look. What I found gives the best protection is Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. Depending on
my time restraint I’ll do between 1 and 3 coats. You should wait 8-12 hrs between coats to give the wax time to cure. Apply the sealant very
sparingly using very little pressure. I like to spray my applicator pad with a quick detailing solution for added lubrication before applying the
sealant. Work in small 2’ x 2’ sections. Then buff off with a microfiber towel.

16.) Once I’m done with the sealant I put the finishing touch on the car, a nice layer of carnauba wax. The best carnauba wax out there is P21S
Concours Carnauba Wax in my opinion. This will give your car additional depth and give it that “wet look”. Apply the same way you would the sealant, very sparingly using very little pressure. I like to spray my applicator pad with a quick detailing solution for added lubrication before applying the sealant. Work in small 2’ x 2’ sections. Then buff off with a microfiber towel.

17.) Paint is done! Time to tackle the wheels and tires. Depending on how good a job the wheel and tire cleaners did, these steps may not be needed.
If there is tar, brake dust, etc still on the wheels I like to run a clay bar over them. This is where cutting your clay bar into 1/3s helps b/c you’
ll have a fresh piece just for your wheels. Follow the same procedure as you did on the paint with your wheels to clay them.

18.) After claying them I like to polish them up using P21S Metal Polishing Soap. P21S makes it simple by having the applicator pad handy with the
product. While the metal polishing soap is out I will do my exhaust tips as well as any metal trim.

19.) To prevent more break dust and road grime from clinging to my wheels I like to seal them up with Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant. This will put a protective coating over the wheels and makes it easier to clean next time around.

20.) To finish up the tires I like to apply Poorboy’s Bold ‘N Bright Tire Dressing. This will give them a real nice finish and it is not greasy like other dressings that use silicone.

21.) Tires are done, all that’s left is the glass and trim. I love cleaning my headlight housings with Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Polish. It cleans plastic better than any other product I know of. If there is any other plastic on the car I will finish it off w/ Plexus.

22.) To finish things up on the glass and mirrors I use Diamondite’s 3 Step Glass Cleaning System. The first step is their spray clay which will remove
old wax, acid rain marks, stains etc. from the glass. The second step is a glass foam cleaner which will take off all of the grime removed from the
clay step. The final step is a shield that goes on the glass that helps repel rain and prevent further staining. I use a glass specific microfiber towel to make sure there is no dust or lint left behind.

23) Step back and view your masterpiece!

Old 04-15-2005, 03:26 PM
wow thats a hell of a procedure.. how long does it take?

Old 04-15-2005, 03:32 PM
For the spring clean up, as i call it, no matter what products you use, you will spend the better part of a day! Call ur buddies over, break out some brews and njoy it!

Old 04-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i really doubt that he has to go that extreme with polishes n clay.. he has an 05 probably still new with dealer wax on it..

Materials:
2 buckets, one small one big if possible
Applicators/Buffer
Microfibers: hopefully you can get tagless microfiber towels.. get the waffle towel for drying and 2-3 detailing cloths
Also get a pack of 15 (i think) microfiber towels from costco for $10.. you can use these on interior, windows, trunk, engine bay, etc.. (just not on the paint)

Cleaners:
Window Cleaner.. 20/20 or stoners
wax.. zaino or nxt.. eh the $15 one
Tire Shine, i use eagle one
Metal Polish for the exhaust tips n stuff
leather conditioner/cleaner
vinyl cleaner/UV protectives
car wash of course..

i think thats it..

anyways fill the small bucket up with soapy water and use the large bucket to wash off your towels before dipping it back into the soapy water

work from the top to the bottom.. dirt builds up as you get to the wheels

etc.. etc.. too sleepie lol but anyways if its a new car i really doubt you'll need the swirl remover, polish, and clay

Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 AM
It takes me about 4 - 5 hours to do this and thats with a friend helping out and yea we had a couple of cold ones to help the time pass, ironically enough. Even though your car is an 05 you still want to polish the car to keep it shinny and gleaming but you probably don't need a cutting polish, just one that will brighten the paint. As for clay you don't have to do it, it all depends on how you want your car to be. The clay will remove any contamination that is on the paint so it depends on your personal goals with the car. I have 04 that I only got in November, granted it was outside all winter but it needed a clay bar very bad.
That routine is what I do twice a year and the rest of the year I just do a regular maintence.