Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning the inside of your wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm down for the brake pads too Diesel. How much more do the hawks cost? Is it not worth the extra $?

Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel, I heard that the Project Mu B-force pads wear down rotors faster. Just something to look out for...

Old 06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sundeviljay
I'm down for the brake pads too Diesel. How much more do the hawks cost? Is it not worth the extra $?
Supposedly these are better then the HAWKS, but I can't attest to it personally. I have heard more reports of teh Hawks squeeking then the Project Mu. Grant it, more Hawk pads have been sold then Project Mu. I am still researching the Project Mu as far as rotor wear etc are concerned. I am so sick of the brake dust, that I wouldn't care so much if I go through rotors a lil faster (depends on how much faster though!

Anyway - here are the pics of the sponge I was talking about. Works great and lets you get into tight spots. The wheel brushes I have seen on the market are entirely too coarse IMHO.

Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the inside of your wheels-wheel-sponge-2.jpg   Cleaning the inside of your wheels-sponge-3.jpg   Cleaning the inside of your wheels-wheel-sponge-1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh.... i've seen those before. Cool cool! Gonna have to pick one up next time I'm at home depot. Do you use it for just the inside of the wheel? I've been using an old wash mitt and wondering if this would work better for the spokes/lip.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel let me know what you find out about the pad cuz I wouldn't mind mind wearing out my rotors a little early if it meant less brake dust. I have to spray meguiars on my chit like every 3 days. Need to do somethin about that

Old 06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Wow this thread never showed up when I clicked on View new posts! I was about to yell at PUFF for making me take pix and not noticing!! LOL

Puff - I found this sponge thing at HARMON discounts (not sure if you have any in Jersey, but a Duane Read or Eckard should carry them as well). I use it just for the back and for the front I use a regular wash mitt. COmbo has bene working well! Good thing about the J8's is that you really have room to get in there! I use the spong on the calipers do! Does a pretty good job.

As for the pads, someone posted a very lengthy comparison as he tries HAWKS, Ceramic, Stock obviously, and Project Mu. He said by far the Project Mu were the best he has used!

From what I have seen They make 2 styles that most peeps will consider:
Bforce - Street and a good amount of track use
NS - Street with limited track use. I would probably go with the NS myself since I don't have plans to track the car and even if I do, I doubt I would be able to do it on a regular basis! I am thinking the NS should be a lil less harsh on the rotors as well. I think I may try the pads out and eventually get the Project Mu rotors as well, just wish they used a better color that that teal junk (Slotted Vanes are that teal color).

Sundevil - I will def keep ya posted, but keep ur eyes out for a group buy post regarding these pads. The person that did a wriet up also provided a link to a place that selle them and hey were the cheapest by far from the 4-5 sites I already looked into.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel1
Wow this thread never showed up when I clicked on View new posts! I was about to yell at PUFF for making me take pix and not noticing!! LOL
Wasn't interested in the utensil at all... just wanted to see a picture of your well manicured hand.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by Diesel1
... at the end has this sponge thing, looks kinda like a Thick French Fries (each ffinger or fry is about 1/4" or so. The foam sponge fits snug in the hole at the end and because its flat, let's you get into some really tight spots! ... it cost $.99......yeah as in 99 cents! Been using it for months! Just rinse when ur done and its like new!
i saw a commercial for Mother's PowerBall while watching Danica Patrick apparently this thing is made of compressed foam so it can fit in tight spots, is reversible which supposedly doubles its life, and the retainer is not metal to help prevent scratches when going buck wild with the thing... actually it sounds just like the foam frenchfry wand that Diesel uses i guess the only true difference is that it attaches to an electric drill, so you can really whip it! click on the picture of Chip Foose on their website to view the commercial.
anybody ever tried it?

Old 06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Wheel Wax http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel or Poorboys Wheel Sealant http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel keeps the grime on the surface so a light brusing with one of the sponges or brushes described before will remove it. It works great on keeping the high temperature brake dust from building up as well as misc road grime, water spots, etc.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Also, don't underestimate the cleaning power of Simple Green. Spray and leave on for a couple minutes, then wipe off with a wet sponge or cloth. If it's not all that dirty, you could probably even get away with spraying it all off with just water.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
the best wheel brush I have seen/used for our wheels is the Gold Class one from Meguiars its really soft and is really long to clean the inside of the wheels well:

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/acc...cfm?SKU=X-1160

I either use P21s wheel cleaner or Eagle One all wheel cleaner unless I have wheel wax on then just car wash soapy water and the same brush.

another great tool is the mothers powerball, you use it on a cordless drill and it is really handy to apply wheel wax (which is also a cleaner wax)

Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 PM
as far as brakes, I just put on Hawks last week and they are sweet, VERY little brake dust, better stopping power and no squeaks, I got them locally for about $75. They are cake to put on as well. I don't have Brembos and it only took about 20 mins per wheel (most of which is letting the brake set up).

all you need is a jack (jackstands and blocks are good to have also), lug wrench (torque wrench is also good to have for when you are done) 14mm socket-wrench combo, a c-clamp and brake quiet (the stuff you apply to the back of the pads to stop it from squeaking), rags

For non-brembo factory calipers this is what I did:

Step1: jack up car (use jackstand so our jack doesn't kick out accidentally)

Step2: use your 14mm socket to remove the lower of the two bolts on the back of the caliper then swing the top of the caliper up exposing the back of the pads

Step 3: pop off the old pads, just grab them and pull them off

Step4: apply brake quiet to the backs of the pads, let dry 10 mins

Step5: slide pads into place

Step 6: use c-clamp to compress the piston in the top half of caliper all the way down so it will fit back over the inside pad

Step7: lower top half back down, tighten the 14mm bolt back on

Step8: put wheel back on (Infiniti says to torque the nuts to 72-87 ft lbs) and lower car

Step9: get in car and press brake 3-4 times to compress the pistons before moving your car

Step 10: bed the pads according to specs, (mine was 6-10 times slowing from 30 to 5 mph then 2-4 hard stops from 45 mph, let brakes cool and you're done