Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dumb Question? Why Remove Wax/Polymer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb Question? Why Remove Wax/Polymer?

I know Dawn does a great job of removing wax but why would you want to if the car otherwise looks good after washing? Why not just apply another coat of Zaino or whatever your preference. I use Zaino and see conflicting info about whether Dawn removes it or not but again, why would you want to if things look good?
Ken

Old 06-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Re: Dumb Question? Why Remove Wax/Polymer?

Because each formulation of wax / polymer has a different chemical formulation. Some won't bond to your paint as well if there is a layer of another company's product between the wax and the paint.

So, to ensure proper results and to make accurate comparisons between products, its best to strip off all old waxes and protectants before applying a different product.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Dawn should only be used to prep the paint for your polish or wax, along with clay bar (I can't say enough about clay barring. It's amazing how "rough" the paint on any car, even new is even after washing with Dawn, before the clay bar. So important for getting the ultimate shine.) After that, you are best to use a car wash. If you're a zaino guy, the Z-7 is great, and when you consider how concentrated the stuff is, it's reasonably priced too. Once you have polish,wax, or sealant applied, do not use Dawn until you want to start over. For me, since I have 3 coats of Z-2 and numerous coats of Z-6, that'll be next spring, when I hit it with the clay bar again and start over. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Derek

DB

Old 06-16-2003, 03:43 AM

When I first started using Zaino, I emailed Sal at Zaino about using Dawn again. He specifically told me that Dawn does not take off Zaino. Zaino is a polymer and bonds to the paint.

-Rick

Old 06-17-2003, 05:34 PM

Thanks for responses. Yours was particularly helpful Derek. I believe you but somehow running the clay bar across a brand new G gives me the shivers. However, I did just get a clay bar and the spray lubricant that is recommended be used with it.

I've heard that Dawn won't remove Zaino's polish before. I think I'll try it and see what happens because my first base coat was Zymol later followed by Zaino when I finally got their products.

After that, I hope to avoid removing the polish except perhaps once a year as you suggested. As long as it is beading and glossy, I see no reason to remove it. I see the sense in not mixing products due to different chemical formulations. Thanks much guys!!
Ken