Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Brake dust spots - how to clean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 02:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Brake dust spots - how to clean?

Ryoken, For when you take your wheels off again (Probably next week, right?) ,I've had real good luck with 'Pro series Simple Green auto degreaser/cleaner'.
Combined with a long bristled scrub brush for the stubborn spots and copious amounts of water from the garden hose, this stuff makes short work of caked on brake dust and road grime. Rewaxing after cleaning helps with the next cleanup. It seems to not upset the painted finished side of the wheels too. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 07-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you got the winter package - i think i remeber that you like it for the heated seats...bummin tho that you get stuck with turanza's. I need them in Philly tho and got them too. The best thing for me is all year traction. I take it you have a 6speed? I would love to race but have the auto - which i like in this area, but god what a compromise...love a manual. Not sure if makes you slower on track unless you are a great driver though.

Sound like fun - do you get any side by side action in that class? I would have a hard time getting my competitive spirit in line with my need to get to work the next day.I would also think the brakes would be first to go day 1 too.

LIghtening unspung weight sound like the best thing you can do in that class..have you thought about sprung weight reduction? do you leave jack in the back when racing et cetra??

Old 07-10-2003, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsm: The caked-on stuff is gone. It's the little black dots that are left. I may give that stuff a try though. No, not next week.. about 5,000 miles from now. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

SixFive: It's an auto. For most of the courses, though, I just stick it in "2" and go.. auto, manual, most cars run the whole course in 2nd gear, so for Solo2, I don't think a manual would help much.

I like the Turanza's for daily driving. Quiter and more comfortable. I've had Turanza's and Affinity's (the Firestone brand touring tire) on my Accords, and rather like them. I may go to the Kumho ECSTA KH11 when these wear out, just to see how they do... supposed to be a better all-around tire than the Turanza, and almost half the price. Though, if I can afford it when it's time, I may swing for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S -- only because the non-A/S Pilot Sports are not offered in an appropriate size.

Solo2 is just what the name says.. Solo. You drive against the clock, and everyone in your class is ranked by best time. It's a safe way to have fun in that respect.. generally the worst that can happen is you mow down a few cones. However, I've witnessed a few people skidding out of control and into concrete barriers (generally 30 feet off course or more).

The brakes will probably go quicker than they would otherwise with such competition (tires, too). I'll probably replace them with a high-perf low-dust aftermarket pad from EBC or Axxis or similar when it's time.

Yes, lightening unsprung weight is good. DOT Racing rubber is also good. You're also allowed to remove some stuff like the jack, spare tire, etc., but you can't remove rear seats and stuff for stock classes. My first event, being paranoid and reading the "remove all items that are not firmly attached" I removed the trunk carpeting and liner, tools, interior floor mats, etc., but left the spare tire and jack. Then I found out they weren't that strict, so I don't mess with it anymore. I've only been to two events, so I'm not good enough to worry about reducing weight and getting better tires yet. I guarantee you that as long as there's a 5-second difference between my first and last run of the day, making physical changes to the car won't help much. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM

what class has side by side racing? DO you have to graduate from solo?? Very new to this...

Old 07-10-2003, 01:49 PM

There's ProSolo which has two cars competing on two separate, mirror-image courses side-by-side.

Then there's track and road race stuff, which I haven't even looked into yet. I think you have to get a racing license to compete in most of those. I'm sticking with Solo2 for now, as I can't afford to have someone else's mistake (much less my own) wreck my expensive daily driver, only to have insurance deny the claim because I was racing.

Solo2 is easier to find locally, and occurs more often, as they can run in medium to large parking lots and don't need dedicated race track.

Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 PM

Hey ryoken,

Here's a testimony from propercarcare.com for a product called Wheel Wax that they sell. It sounds like he had a similar problem as you with the black spots, and Wheel Wax did the job where other wheel cleaners failed. Plus, you also get your wheel waxed in the process. I've never used the stuff, but here's their website for more details:

http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html

If you decide to try the stuff, let us know how it worked.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Brilliant Silver / Graphite / Prem.Pkg. / BSM

Doug.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ryoken on 07/12/03 01:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-12-2003, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. I may try that next time. I "activated" your link, as I know I'll be too lazy to cut and paste next time I need it. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2003, 03:29 PM

I've used Wheel Wax, and it protects the wheels pretty well.

After two coats, the dust almost rinses off. Just a light washing cleans them up, but you still have to work on the little dots on the sport rims a bit. For some reason, they seem to accumulate brake dust more than anywhere else.

As a cleaner, Wheel Wax only removes the surface dust. If it's baked on, it's elbow-grease time with something stronger.

That said, I'm wondering about using Zaino instead because it's detergent resistant.

So far though, Wheel Wax has held up to Meguires deterget.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:01 PM

The dimples aren't my problem.. then entire painted portion of the rim is spotless. It's back behind there.. the part you have to take the wheel off to get to.. that I was having trouble with.

The visible portion of the rim can be cleaned with just about anything mildy soapy and a sponge, if you've waxed it.