Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Am I doing it right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I doing it right?

Okay here's what I'm gonna buy and do.
2 Sheepskin washing mitts
2 Large drying MF towel maybe waffle?
2 Applicators

My cars' brand new(its a little dusty though) and probably got some kinda wax on it from the dealer.
Here's what I'm gonna do:
1) Let water flow over the car
2) Use Dawn on car ( 1 bucket for dawn and 1 for rinse)
3) Rinse
4) Do I dry before applying zaino?
after drying if needed ?
1) Use Zaino's Z-7 carwash
2) Mix the ZFX and Z2 PRO
3) apply it over and over again until satisfied without waiting to dry? ( I think?)
4) apply Z6 after drying(or without?)

As you can see I'm confused, and don't know when I need to be drying and when no to.

also, do i rebadge before washing? or after?
or maybe debadge, wash + zaino then only rebadge?

Old 10-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You forgot to clay bar after the Dawn wash........

Yes you need to dry it....

Zaino needs to dry completely before removal and second coat.....

Jeez....

Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Is the claybar necessary? cause unfortunately, I did not get the claybar. Only the ZFX, Z2 and Z6.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Call the Cops
aight so you have the stuff.. good
whats the color of your car btw? thats important.. cuz you will def. need Z5 if its black.. but regardless

1) Let water flow over the car.. yes
2) Use Dawn on car ( 1 bucket for dawn and 1 for rinse).. good
3) Rinse.. ok
4) Do I dry before applying zaino?.. of course.. make sure to use high quality MF towels.. and pat dry. DO not swipe esp. if you have black.. that causes swirls and trust me with the brand new paint you will not be happy
after drying
1) Use Zaino's Z-7 carwash. yep
2) Mix the ZFX and Z2 PRO.
3) apply it over and over again until satisfied without waiting to dry? ( I think?) no. apply to dry car once. let dry for 20-30 minutes. completely remove the polish with a soft MF towel. apply Z6. this spray will make the rest of the applications a hell of a lot easier. then repeat same process until satisfied ( really 2 coats is enough.. cuz its gonna stay on for the next wash and you will keep applying) remember to apply z6 last.
4) apply Z6 after drying(or without?) scratch that

as for the clay bar. your paint is brand new. you dont need it now. but you might down the road.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Diamond Graphite

Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
One tip - when you apply the Z2, apply it thin. I know everyone says "ya, thin", but I don't think most folks get it their first time around. I mean so thin you can carely see it. So thin you think maybe none is even going on the car. Ya, that thin. If you apply it even a little too thick it's an absolutely pain in the *** to remove, and you will almost definitely mar the paint getting it off.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If your car is new I think it's ok to skip the claybar. I bought my G in May and didn't claybar the first time I used Zaino. I did Claybar it last month before I zainoed to prepare it for winter.

My question is how much pressure do you use when applying Zaino. I just wipe it on and since my car is Black I'm always a little paranoid about applying too much pressure.

Trending Topics

Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 AM
D87
Originally Posted by harley01
If your car is new I think it's ok to skip the claybar.
I don't agree with that. When your car is at the factory, and in transport to the dealer, and sitting at the dealer's - all this time it's accumulating debris and particles in the paint, embedding themselves. These don't come off in a wash, hence the claybar is necessary. My recommendation is that if you're ever doing a Dawn wash you might as well do it right and clay it right after the Dawn and drying it. Besides, it'll help with light water spots too, so I say invest the extra hour and clay it!

Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I agree with D87. Might as well clay it. Not needed, but then again neither is Zaino. Your going the extra step to make the car look its best, so why not. Just get a clay bar from Pep boys or something. Most clay bars seem to be the same to me.
Try not to apply to much pressure. Your putting zaino on the paint, not trying to mesh it into the paint. The more pressure, the greater the chance of swirl marks.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not all clay bars are created equal... some are more abrasive than others. Clay Magic is a good all around clay. I've got different grades of clay from medium to ultra fine. I know most don't go to the lengths I do as I also detail cars... but just be careful with what you buy.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 AM
D87
Originally Posted by FrizzleFry
Clay Magic is a good all around clay.
Definitely. I first started with the Clay Magic about 10 years ago. That one remained soft and pliable but after many wonderful uses, it had to be retired. I then bought a Mother's clay bar (which was white in color as opposed to Clay Magic's blue) and the thing worked ok, but dang, I kept it in the same container as my old Clay Magic plastic container - and in a few months it's dry and almost brittle. So much for that... I went to Autozone and bought another Clay Magic and am very happy with it.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Is it okay to go on without clay barring? and claybar it only the next time(when I remove the zaino? will I have to someday?)?

Old 10-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Yes, it is ok to go on without using a clay bar. We are just trying to say that it is recommended, but not necessary. The only thing you NEED to do is fill the car with gas and change the oil every now and then. Everything else is because you want to. You want nice paint, so you are going to use Zaino. Your paint will still look nice if you don't use the clay. It will be smoother is you do.

Not to sure what your asking on the second part. You could clay bar it on your next wash and that will remove the wax (thats my understanding). You don't need to clay it ever if you don't care about the paint. Eventually you will pick up a lot of contaminents on the paint and you will be able to feel it. It just depends on how nice you want the paint to look.

Thats interesting about the clay being more abrasive then others. I didn't know that. So more abrasive clay picks up more contaminents? So that is better? or is it just harder on the clear coat?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You can always do the test where you put plastic wrap on your hand and run your fingers on the paint. If you feel bumps that will let you know you have contaminents. Of course you want to wash your car before you do this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.