Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

My experience with Langka - touch up helper for paint chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My experience with Langka - touch up helper for paint chips

I bought this over a year ago after reading about it and hearing some testimonies here on the forum. I finally used it last night...

My Laser Red coupe must have the thinnest coat of paint on the hood that is allowed by the manufacturer. I had so many rock chips from all the highway driving I do that it made the hood and front bumper look horrible. Well now that I am selling the car I figured I better fill in those chips.

I busted out the Langka pack with 3 bottles, tiny bristle artists brush, and plastic card that came with the package.

First thing is to apply the pre-paint to any of the chips so that the touch up paint will adhere. My guess is that it just removes any waxes and oils covering the bare metal. After applying the pre-paint to the chips you are supposed to use soapy water to clean then rinse with water. I just used a detailer spray to clean and then sprayed with water to rinse and wiped.

Second step is to use your factory touch-up paint (got mine from the dealer) and leave a "blob" of paint over each chip. I let all the paint blobs dry for 2 hours. Once dried I moved onto the "blob eliminator" paste. This is where you wrap a t-shirt or bed sheet over the plastic card and apply the paste to the flat surface. The blob eliminator acts somewhat like a paint thinner and wipes away the blob as you rub over the chip. I learned after the first few to start with more pressure and then lighten up when it looked like the blob was almost gone. Go too hard and you just pull the paint completely out of the chip, just right and you leave a smooth surface where the chip used to be.

Third step is to clean the residue left over by the blob eliminator and apply the paint sealant. This was applied basically the same way you would apply wax using circular motion allowing it to haze. Once dried, remove the haze with a terry cloth or similar towel. After removing the paint sealant I proceeded to apply a coat of Zaino Z-5 with a couple drops of ZFX, you can of course use whatever wax is to your liking.

I wish I would've taken pictures before hand because I didn't expect it to work as well as it did. There are some tiny chips that I might go over now that I am more confident about doing it and will post them up.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pretty much had the same experience with Langka with a few key differences due to my paint color (Diamond Graphite).

My first application pretty much went like yours. I followed the directions to a the letter. However, when it came time to use the Langka Blob Remover, I noticed that the touch-up paint left after its application was noticeably darker than the factory paint. The touch up paint before seemed to match the factory paint with the exception of the pimple. After the Blob remover, what used to be a small rock chip turned into a dark spot, more noticeable than the original rock chip!

I was pretty bummed since I thought most people had pretty good experiences with it. Afterwords, I pretty much scoured the Autopia website regarding other people's experiences with Langka and the various methods they used. What I did notice was that people with metallic paint were coming up with the same experiences as me. However, one guy who did have success "modified" the directions a bit. He advised not allowing the touch-up paint to dry as long as the directions recommended, but instead, give it only a half hour, then lightly use the blob eliminator.

His theory was that with metallic paints, the metallic chips float to the top as the paint dries. And if you let the paint fully cure, when you apply the Blob eliminator, you are removing all the metallic chips and leaving a flat, dark surface.

I tried it again with his method and it was a 100X better. Now, I'd recommend the Langka but with modified instructions for those of us with metallic paints.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM
D87
Wow, great info guys. Where did you guys get the kit?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just bought it...better work! or else...j/k

Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flipper
I tried it again with his method and it was a 100X better. Now, I'd recommend the Langka but with modified instructions for those of us with metallic paints.
The directions on the website do give you alternate instructions for metallic paint. They call it the squeegie method:

http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_rep...#repairingdeep

Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by BeerViper
The directions on the website do give you alternate instructions for metallic paint. They call it the squeegie method:

http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_rep...#repairingdeep
great.

Guess I should have read the info on the Langka website more...

Oh well.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice info and thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 08:28 AM
While not the Langka kit, my experience with chip repair is using the Norton chip repair kit. This is basically a small wetsanding kit. While you can do more damage with this than the solvent-based Langka kit, it does yield pretty good results. The procedure involves filling the chips, waiting 24 hours, and then doing a 6 step wet sand and polish. I was impressed with the results on the solid colored cars but not so much on the metallics for reasons similar to those discussed above.

-GT