Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino and water spots.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino and water spots.

Ok Zaino supporters, I'm looking for some help here. My G is less than a month old and the first wax I put on it was Meguires Gold Class. I put 2-3 coats and it looked great, no water spots. Then after doing some reading I figured I'd switch to Zaino for its longevity.

I got my Zaino in (bought the suggested kit for a little less than $100 with shipping) and went word by word on the instructions that came with it as well as the tips on the website. I washed the crap out of it with Dawn to get the old wax off, I did this twice to make sure I got it all off since I recently waxed it. Then I went to town last night with the clay bar covering every square inch. Today I washed it twice, once with the Zaino car wash again with just water and a mit. I dried it thoroughly with a leaf blower and the rest with the recommended towels I just bought. I let it sit in the garage a few hours then started with the Z5.

I just wiped off the first half of the car and yes, the stuff is amazing. Great shine. My problem is now when I look at it at certain angles in the right light, I see TONS of tiny water spots under the glaze. I'm speaking of the tiny pin sized droplets you see after you use a blower or chamois.

When I called the Zaino guy, he said I should have made sure to remove all water spots before I applied it. Yeah, I read that and I thought I had. My problem now is that I've just sealed them in! Because of Zaino's superior luster they are quite noticable to me.

I'm actually kind of pissed now. Conventional liquid waxes buff these things out leaving a perfect shine. With Zaino, you have to work your *** off with a clay bar to remove them, then wash it again to remove the residue. What about the very tiny drops left after you wash and dry it? I'm not putting any more of this stuff on my car until I figure out how to remove the coat I have on it and actually get rid of the water spots. Any suggeestions guys?

Old 08-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Re: Zaino and water spots.

Wow dude that sucks... lol I bet you had the spots all along and just did not notice them before???? I have real hard water where I live and it used to be a big problem.. I had a softwater filter system installed in my house and now it is no longer a problem... spots are hard to see for sure... I guess I would say dry asap with a waffle weave microfiber towel and then use the blower to get the water out of the cracks.. cause if the water has time to dry from the blower process it will = spots..... Probably dosen't help you much but just thought I would ramble a bit... good luck...

TC

"There is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby and Mental Illness".

91140-bangheadsmile.gif

Old 08-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Running for his life!!

Sorry to hear that man. Definately the initial application with Zainos is important. The leaf blower (i use it on at night or cool weather) will definately leave water marks in warm weather. I opt not to use it anymore.

I know 50/50 mix of water and vineger will get water spots out on WINDOWS, but I never tried it on the cars body. I don't think I would.

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 PM

Yeah I agree I need to start over. Does anyone know how to remove Zaino? Or does Dawn work on it like regular waxes?

Old 08-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Running for his life!!

They said that dawn will not remove the zaino, but I find that hard to beleive, well not entirely. I had water spots similar to your situation, but not as extreme, I used dawn to wash it off.

Try just washing your fender and see how it turns out. Don't use the blower to dry.

BTW do you have the Z6 spray?

G35C 6MT / AMG E55

Old 08-22-2003, 04:04 AM

I use a product made locally in Hawaii called MX-7. It's awesome for water spots on the paint. Wipe on, wipe or wash off. That easy. It DOES strip Zaino. After washing it off, no beading whatsoever. You may find something local to you. MX-7 is a dark green thin liquid.

<font color=blue>-Rick
'03 G35C 6MT Ivory Pearl</font color=blue>

Old 08-22-2003, 08:18 AM

Prep solvent will remove Zaino!

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Objects in mirror are losing!"

Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 AM

I think Dawn will work on Zaino, based on my experience wiht the product. Their product information instructs users to use Dawn to clean out the mixing bottles, and another product info sheet says to wash with Dawn initially before starting the clay bar & Zaino process specifically stating that Dawn removes products such as "carnuba wax, parafin, silicone oil based, etc." On the other hand, Zaino is a polymer, so I don't know if it comes under the "etc." part of their statement.

I have used Dawn on selected small areas of my G to strip off Zaino (had two coats of Z 2 on, plus Z 6) and reapply it, and Dawn worked for me. When it doubt, email em: info@zainobros.com.

Sorry you have to start over. It is good cardiovascular exercise, though if that's any comfort...

Dreams garnet fire/graphite leather 6MT 2003.5 premium/aero/winter hyperground kit

Old 08-22-2003, 08:51 PM

rstark, could you do me a favor and give me the company name that distributes MX-7? THat or any other information on the label. When I searched for just "MX-7" to many non related sites came up. Thanks.

Rob

Old 08-22-2003, 08:53 PM

lebushaw, do you mean 3M Prep solvent? Is it ok for clear coats? Thanks

Rob

Old 08-22-2003, 08:56 PM

BTW, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I emailed Zaino tech support last night but have not gotten a reply. I just emailed Sal Zaino himself for suggestions on how to remove it. I'll be sure to post what I learn. In case he doesn't reply, please keep those suggestions coming!

Rob

Old 08-22-2003, 11:28 PM

Robd1, it's made by
MX-7 Industries
P.O. Box 971106
Waipahu, HI 96797
(808) 722-7326
www.mx-7.com

I don't work for them or promote their products, but it's good stuff.

<font color=blue>-Rick
'03 G35C 6MT Ivory Pearl</font color=blue>

Old 08-22-2003, 11:58 PM

I buy Dupont 3919S Prep Solvent from an automotive paint store that sells paint to bodyshops. It cost about $20 for a gallon. This is the stuff bodyshops use to wipe down a car before they paint (repaint) it. They have to get any wax or silicone product off so the paint will stick. It does not harm clear coated finishes. I have been using this product for over 20 years! I'm not familiar with the 3M product, but if it's called a prep solvent, I'm sure it works the same as the Dupont product I have been using.

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Objects in mirror are losing!"

Old 08-24-2003, 07:14 PM
JPJ

Once Zaino cures, it is difficult to remove with just Dawn. I would suggest trying clay first and if that doesn't work, use a mild polishing compound such as 3M's Perfect-It Scratch and Swirl Remover. This stuff is great for removing light swirls and some very light clear coat scratches and should make quick work out of water spots. I'd hold off on using any prep solve until I tried something less aggresive. BTW, Sal Zaino is a great guy and will get back to you about the product quickly, if he's not on the road. Good Luck!

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT
CB/Graphite/Prem/Aero
Clear Corners/Tint
Alum Pedals
Zaino!

92525-smallg35.JPG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zaino and water spots.