Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help I'm an Idiot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help I'm an Idiot

Last night it rained pretty good in Cali and I did a big boo boo. I left my sunroof open and my car got pretty wet inside. I didn't have time to clean it up or take it somewhere, because when I noticed it I was leaving for work and couldn't exactly take a day off to attend to things. However, I was wondering how bad did I mess up my car's leather by getting it wet overnight? Did I ruin my seat heaters as it says in the manuel don't get the heated seats wet? My floor is pretty wet as well so how can I get that taken care of? Thanks a lot and yes I know that was pretty stupid of me. Thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
duuuuuuude... ahh, i wouldve hated myself so much,, sorry im no help but dam that sux. sorry for that happening

Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yea it did rain pretty good last nite. Even had some thunder. Well if I were you, I'd take it to a detailer asap and get to them wetvac your car. Drenching leather in water is never a good thing cuz it'll end up shrinking when it dries. As for the seats...you may wanna open up the console and blow dry the sucker before turning it on and shorting it. yikes...tough luck man.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
The thing is with water there is the initial damage and potentially additional damage from soaking. I would hope you took a few mintues to soak up the majority of any water that you could with towels. You need to take it to a detail shop to get it throughly cleaned or at least make sure everything gets dryed out. If you get mildew growing it could cost easily over $1000 to get the carpets\seats replaced... Try not to turn on anything that got wet if you can until your sure its dry. (like the seats)

Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
gtr proto test driver
your interior is ruined you need to remove it at the dealer

jk

Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 PM
ouch...good luck...

Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Like most electronics, your seat heaters will be fine as long as you don't turn them on until its COMPLETELY dry. Otherwise, they'll end up shorting or corroding and will have to be replaced. Don't know too much about leather, the carpet will certainly be okay with a good wet-vac or better yet, steam cleaning. Good luck man.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you should definitely soak up what you can w/ towels and then rent a big blower that is meant to dry out carpets. Also you will need to remove the seats. But you may have some elec problems and mold/mildew growth that will cause the interior to smell and is bad for your lungs.

maybe you should consult professionals - home water damage experts or car shops. and do this ASAP! The longer the water sits there, the more potential for stankiness. You've seen that Seinfeld episode, right?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
yikes... just... yikes

Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny thing is, I ALMOST did that last night. I always vent my sunroof so as to get a better airflow from the manual (outside) air to the inside, and back out through the sunroof (vent only, not fully open). I went outside to make sure it was close, and it was. Do like all the other said: Dry off as much as possible, don't turn on the Heaters, and make sure to get it to a detailer. I'm sure our leather seats will be ok when you get it wet (it is a car seat) but just take it to the detailer as soon as you have time.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
There are actual "agents" to facillatate drying WITHOUT getting mildew.
I would call a Servicemaster Franchisee in your area or ServPro (see yellow pages) and discuss. I know they have chemicals for this and an actual block that looks like a salt lick on the farm. This type of water damage happens in houses all the time and they deal with carpets and leather furniture. Call 'em!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Just dry it as best you can, I'd take the interior apart to dry it and make sure the insides dry. Use that leather "lotion" stuff from Meguirs and give it three coats to soften and lubbricate it. The electronics that were soaked should be unplugged, removed and dried as well. You should clean the carpets with tuff stuff carpet cleaner too.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
idiot.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detailer.......

Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
that sucks, i would atleast run to auto store and pick up some leather conditioner and rub it in the leather.. it is suppose to renew leather and help protect it as well. It's cheap and fast.

btw i can make you feel better.. you drenched yours in rain, I went to McDonalds and spilled a super size cup of coke on my seat... completely drenched the entire seat.. ohh this wasn't in my G35, but in my Evo but still.. recaro seats man!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help I'm an Idiot